Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

w
This thread.....
View attachment 435272

This is why I don’t talk about Star Wars online anymore. These arguments go on forever and never change anyone’s minds. They are the most useless kind of discussion. I’m just gonna drop this link:
This review pretty much sums up my feelings on the film. It wasn’t perfect, but it was fun. Once again, the middle ground is drowned out by all the screaming. *sigh* I wonder about this fan base sometimes. It probably is for the best if we just move on from the Skywalker Saga at this point. I think it’s time for Star Wars to “start over”.

And with that, I’m out.
View attachment 435273
well thanks for contributing nothing. glad you enjoyed a movie that made no sense whatsoever.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

-Force Ghosts have always been able to interact with the real world since 1983 when Obj Wan sat on a log (I appreciated the callback with Luke sitting on a rock in this one)
-Force healing has been a thing since ET in 1982
-Hyperspace skipping is said to be dangerous in the movie
-Rey and Kylo physically interacting was set up in The Last Jedi and shows a natural progression of their force bond. This is actually one of the best things in the movie, especially with its payoff at the end.
sitting on a log is not the same as being able to call down lightening or be able to actual wield a lighsaber as a force ghost. "If you chose to face Vader you will do it alone. I can not interfere." makes Obi look like a giant jerk now.
also none of the original films had force healing. ET the movie is not an example of it.

TROR

sitting on a log is not the same as being able to call down lightening or be able to actual wield a lighsaber as a force ghost. "If you chose to face Vader you will do it alone. I can not interfere." makes Obi look like a giant jerk now.
also none of the original films had force healing. ET the movie is not an example of it.
Obi Wan also said he'd be more powerful than Vader could possibly imagine. Also, I'll stand by it - Obi Wan sitting on a log is equal to holding a physical item.

ET is canon. It doesn't matter, though, because force healing is hinted at in RotS and every Star Wars movie introduces new force powers. The force didn't even move objects until 1980!

Tony Perkis

Obi Wan also said he'd be more powerful than Vader could possibly imagine. Also, I'll stand by it - Obi Wan sitting on a log is equal to holding a physical item.

ET is canon. It doesn't matter, though, because force healing is hinted at in RotS and every Star Wars movie introduces new force powers. The force didn't even move objects until 1980!
Yeah, I’ll never understand the outrage about Force ghosts being able to interact with physical environments.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

That’s a shame.

Also to everyone else: The Last Jedi is just a hair below Empire Strikes Back. Its portrayal of Luke is so brilliant and it develops Kylo and Rey in such a rich way. Snoke’s death makes perfect sense in the story of Kylo seeking power and Canto Bight really isn’t that bad. The Last Jedi will go down as one of the best Star Wars movies of all time.
No, it is not and no THAT was not. Luke never would have turned into what Johnson turned him into. Never.

TROR

No, it is not and no THAT was not. Luke never would have turned into what Johnson turned him into. Never.
Yeah he would. Just watch The Last Jedi. You can clearly see he behaves exactly as how Rian Johnson turned him into. Luke, as an actual human being and not as a glorified, over-powered character, felt guilt and remorse for how he acted when faced with temptation, a temptation he's faced and struggled with before when confronting his father he then faced again when confronting his nephew. It makes perfect sense for his character and was absolutely brilliant. There are three great Star Wars movies and The Last Jedi is one of them.

Mike S

Yeah, I’ll never understand the outrage about Force ghosts being able to interact with physical environments.
Because if Force Ghosts can do things, like summon lightning for example, why don’t THEY go out and take care of whatever threat arises? It’s not like they could die again. All we ever saw before was them sit on stuff and stand on the ground. That’s it. It was simpler that way.

Joesixtoe

Yeah he would. Just watch The Last Jedi. You can clearly see he behaves exactly as how Rian Johnson turned him into. Luke, as an actual human being and not as a glorified, over-powered character, felt guilt and remorse for how he acted when faced with temptation, a temptation he's faced and struggled with before when confronting his father he then faced again when confronting his nephew. It makes perfect sense for his character and was absolutely brilliant. There are three great Star Wars movies and The Last Jedi is one of them. Fo reals
I get it, you see your sisters son turn to the dark side and appeared to kill all your students(read the comic). All this under you watch, and because you doubted for a second. I would be depressed too... but does Luke not eventually get past that to save his own sister??? The galaxy?? Disney just seems like they want Luke away from us on his on island. I think they just did not like him.

Tony Perkis

Because if Force Ghosts can do things, like summon lightning for example, why don’t THEY go out and take care of whatever threat arises? It’s not like they could die again. All we ever saw before was them sit on stuff and stand on the ground. That’s it. It was simpler that way.
I assume there’s a limit on what they can do. This is a non factor to me.

TROR

I get it, you see your sisters son turn to the dark side and appeared to kill all your students(read the comic). All this under you watch, and because you doubted for a second. I would be depressed too... but does Luke not eventually get past that to save his own sister??? The galaxy?? Disney just seems like they want Luke away from us on his on island. I think they just did not like him.
I'm happy to let you know that he does! That's his arc in The Last Jedi! He gets over his guilt and fear to become the hero we know him to be!

fractal

The first half of the film we get patronized with excessive exposition. At the end you have zoombie Sheev on a stick (KUKU arm?) and 50,000 hooded Sheevies singing and chanting Sith top hits in a Sith stadium and we get no explanation of w.t.f. is going on. And if Luke was looking for this Sith hideout all along why didn't we hear about any of this in TLJ? TLJ told us Luke was done and didn't give 2 sheets about the Jedi or Sith.

And what happened to Evil Rey? What the hell was that all about? I almost believe they added that scene because it would look cool in the trailers.

Mike S

To me the bigger issue is that he ever had the temptation to kill Ben in the first place. He already successfully turned Darth Vader back to the light. Are you telling me he didn’t have the confidence to think he could bring his nephew back especially when he didn’t even fully turn yet? Let’s say it still played out the way it did though and Luke lit up his saber for just one second but then it was already too late. Are you really going to tell me he wouldn’t have been hell bent to right this terrible wrong? That’s much closer to the Luke I know. That could’ve even lead to some pretty emotional scenes if Luke was actually present in TFA. Imagine if the big reveal of what Luke did that turned Ben to the Dark Side happened in front of Han Solo. THAT is a movie I want to watch.
I assume there’s a limit on what they can do. This is a non factor to me.
There *used to be* a very clear on screen limit. Now they’re just telling you to assume there is one. That’s the problem I have.
I'm happy to let you know that he does! That's his arc in The Last Jedi! He gets over his guilt and fear to become the hero we know him to be!
By not even being there and then still just dying anyway. Would’ve been better if he never disappeared and then was still in 9.

Last edited:

TROR

To me the bigger issue is that he ever had the temptation to kill Ben in the first place. He already successfully turned Darth Vader back to the light. Are you telling me he didn’t have the confidence to think he could bring his nephew back especially when he didn’t even fully turn yet?
It was an instinct, not even a fully formed thought. Of course he thought he could, that's why he stood there ashamed as soon as he saw Ben's frightened eyes.

Let’s say it still played out the way it did though and Luke lit up his saber for just one second but then it was already too late. Are you really going to tell me he wouldn’t have been hell bent to right this terrible wrong? That’s much closer to the Luke I know. That could’ve even lead to some pretty emotional scenes if Luke was actually present in TFA. Imagine if the big reveal of what Luke did that turned Ben to the Dark Side happened in front of Han Solo. THAT is a movie I want to watch.
Guilt can be consuming, especially to a Jedi who has a legendary status and the expectation of being perfect.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

NO AND NO. HERE IS WHY YOU ARE WRONG. I LIKE YOU BUT I AM ABOUT TO SCHOOL YOU:
When Obi-Wan said "If you strike me down I shall become more Powerful than you can possibly imagine." is a direct reference to him becoming one with the force aka a force ghost and disappearing when he dies by joining the force. This has been confirmed by Lucas himself multiple times. In episode 3 Yoda reveals to Obi-Wan he has been talking to Qui-Gonn. "How to commune with him I will teach you." Yoda tells him. Most of the time when Jedis die their bodies still remain. but Qui-Gonn's spirit after death learned to become one with the force and HE then goes on to teach Yoda and Obi-Wan how to do it also, which is why they disapear when they died. Anakin had never seen that before of new it could be done so after Obi-Wan's cloak and saber fall to the ground Vader is in shock and walks over to it and feel the cloak with his foot to see if any part of Obi-Wan was under it. It blew his mind. But that is all that is, is just becoming one with the force. In essence finding a way to live after death. Anakin was obessed with stopping the death of his loved ones. So seeing Obi-Wan disappear makes him upset that he could do something he could never do and that there is a power of the force he never knew about.
So the line just means becoming a force ghost. Now the sitting on the log thing, One could argue since he is a ghost is not really sitting on the log. hovering above it to appear that way. Not me. Him being on the log is the same tropue you have to let slide when it comes to ghost stories. The movie GHOST- great movie, Patrick S. can't touch crap the whole film but he can walk on the floor in the apt building and stand on the street insted of constantly falling. Its like calling out a mentally challenged kid for double dribble. you gotta let some things slide. If ghosts cant walk on solid ground in a scene then no movie. gotta suspend that disbelief. Force Ghosts before Ruin Johnson, were more like guides to help the living that is why Obi-Wan told Luke if he fights Vader he is on his own. But now FORCE GHOSTS CAN WIELD LIGHTSABERS AND USE FORCE LIGHTENING AND ARE ALL POWERFULL THAN IF THEY WERE ALIVE!!!!!!!! See the difference? One allows you to have the character in the scene to tell the story, the other is fan fiction off material.
E.T.- E.T. DOES NOT TAKE PLACE IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!! In the film, STAR WARS are just movies. ET is meant to take place in our everyday normal world back in 1982. STAR WARS are movies. Elliott shows off his Star Wars action figures to ET, someone dresses up as Yoda for Halloween. Yes, I know when he sees Yoda he goes "HOME, HOME!" because he sees what he thinks is another alien. it was just a joke Spielberg put in. Hence why during the theatrical release of THE PHANTOM MENACE in the senate scene there are a bunch of ET's. Later Lucas realized how dumb that was and removed them completely which is why you can only see the ET's on the VHS version. THE DVD, AND ALL BLU RAYS no longer have them in it.
I like you but now eat some humble pie.

TROR

NO AND NO. HERE IS WHY YOU ARE WRONG. I LIKE YOU BUT I AM ABOUT TO SCHOOL YOU:
When Obi-Wan said "If you strike me down I shall become more Powerful than you can possibly imagine." is a direct reference to him becoming one with the force aka a force ghost and disappearing when he dies by joining the force. This has been confirmed by Lucas himself multiple times. In episode 3 Yoda reveals to Obi-Wan he has been talking to Qui-Gonn. "How to commune with him I will teach you." Yoda tells him. Most of the time when Jedis die their bodies still remain. but Qui-Gonn's spirit after death learned to become one with the force and HE then goes on to teach Yoda and Obi-Wan how to do it also, which is why they disapear when they died. Anakin had never seen that before of new it could be done so after Obi-Wan's cloak and saber fall to the ground Vader is in shock and walks over to it and feel the cloak with his foot to see if any part of Obi-Wan was under it. It blew his mind. But that is all that is, is just becoming one with the force. In essence finding a way to live after death. Anakin was obessed with stopping the death of his loved ones. So seeing Obi-Wan disappear makes him upset that he could do something he could never do and that there is a power of the force he never knew about.
So the line just means becoming a force ghost. Now the sitting on the log thing, One could argue since he is a ghost is not really sitting on the log. hovering above it to appear that way. Not me. Him being on the log is the same tropue you have to let slide when it comes to ghost stories. The movie GHOST- great movie, Patrick S. can't touch crap the whole film but he can walk on the floor in the apt building and stand on the street insted of constantly falling. Its like calling out a mentally challenged kid for double dribble. you gotta let some things slide. If ghosts cant walk on solid ground in a scene then no movie. gotta suspend that disbelief. Force Ghosts before Ruin Johnson, were more like guides to help the living that is why Obi-Wan told Luke if he fights Vader he is on his own. But now FORCE GHOSTS CAN WIELD LIGHTSABERS AND USE FORCE LIGHTENING AND ARE ALL POWERFULL THAN IF THEY WERE ALIVE!!!!!!!! See the difference? One allows you to have the character in the scene to tell the story, the other is fan fiction **** off material.
Ah, you're right. Luke holding a lightsaber is stupid. But Yoda being one with the force definitely makes sense he could conjure a lightning bolt to teach Luke a lesson.

E.T.- E.T. DOES NOT TAKE PLACE IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!! In the film, STAR WARS are just movies. ET is meant to take place in our everyday normal world back in 1982. STAR WARS are movies. Elliott shows off his Star Wars action figures to ET, someone dresses up as Yoda for Halloween. Yes, I know when he sees Yoda he goes "HOME, HOME!" because he sees what he thinks is another alien. it was just a joke Spielberg put in. Hence why during the theatrical release of THE PHANTOM MENACE in the senate scene there are a bunch of ET's. Later Lucas realized how dumb that was and removed them completely which is why you can only see the ET's on the VHS version. THE DVD, AND ALL BLU RAYS no longer have them in it.
I like you but now eat some humble pie.
ET's not in The Phantom Menace anymore? Movie's ruined. George Lucas ruined my childhood!

Mike S

Guilt can be consuming, especially to a Jedi who has a legendary status and the expectation of being perfect.
Which to me would just act as a fuel for Luke to try and fix it. It would gnaw at him incessantly until he could make the terrible thing he’d done right again. The Luke I knew wouldn’t give up on his family. Never in a million years.

TROR

Which to me would just act as a fuel for Luke to try and fix it. It would gnaw at him incessantly until he could make the terrible thing he’d done right again. The Luke I knew wouldn’t give up on his family. Never in a million years.
Interestingly enough, that's not how guilt and depression work, even for a Jedi.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Yeah he would. Just watch The Last Jedi. You can clearly see he behaves exactly as how Rian Johnson turned him into. Luke, as an actual human being and not as a glorified, over-powered character, felt guilt and remorse for how he acted when faced with temptation, a temptation he's faced and struggled with before when confronting his father he then faced again when confronting his nephew. It makes perfect sense for his character and was absolutely brilliant. There are three great Star Wars movies and The Last Jedi is one of them.
No one knows Luke Skywalker better than Mark Hamill and he has stated in public and to Ruin Johnson that he disagrees WITH EVERYTHING HE DID WITH LUKE and that he HATES what he did with him and Luke would never end up like that. THAT IS THE END OF THE ARUGEMENT RIGHT THERE.

TROR

No one knows Luke Skywalker better than Mark Hamill and he has stated in public and to Ruin Johnson that he disagrees WITH EVERYTHING HE DID WITH LUKE and that he HATES what he did with him and Luke would never end up like that. THAT IS THE END OF THE ARUGEMENT RIGHT THERE.
Mark Hamill's a moron who's self obsessed and just wants to see himself glorified.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom