Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mark Hamill is not Luke. Mark Hamill is an actor who is paid to perform the words other people write for him.

However, your calm and rational comments on the movie are most welcome :rolleyes:

Mark hamill carried the origin trilogy and therefore the whole shebang...

We used to think he was “bad”...particularly in Jedi...he looks like Olivier frankly next to the crap they’ve tried since.

Who’s been good? McGreggor...maybe?

And it’s not my opinion of hamill’s impact.

It’s keshner, kurtz, oz, kazanjian...

The “little” people.

Mike S

Thank you. While raging against Rian Johnson, people really seem to miss that it was Abrams who had Luke living in isolation, out of the fight.

Luke going away and allowing the First Order to reign? JJ Abrams.

Luke returns to the fold and sets out to save the Resistance and inspire a galaxy? Rian Johnson.
I do blame Jar Jar for that. He admitted that he had no idea what to do with Luke because it always seemed like no matter where he appeared in the movie he would’ve stolen the entire spotlight. I agree but that’s not a bad thing. That means you have an amazing character that you should be honored to have in your movie.
According to Michael arndt...it’s neither of their faults...

Guess who is the Sith Lord on hero misuse? (No...not Kennedy either)
Iger?
if Rey is a Mary Sue then Baby Yoda surely is too, right?
Jury’s out as it seems Yoda’s species, whatever they are, are clearly just naturally gifted. We’ve only seen 3 so far and two of those were Jedi Masters on the council and now we have the Child. Perhaps this species is even the originators of the Jedi that taught everyone else how to use the Force. Rey is an anomaly among humans though as they’ve always needed training throughout the whole saga until TFA. Even Anakin as “The Chosen One” needed to train. Both of his children as well.

Wendy Pleakley

I do blame Jar Jar for that. He admitted that he had no idea what to do with Luke because it always seemed like no matter where he appeared in the movie he would’ve stolen the entire spotlight. I agree but that’s not a bad thing. That means you have an amazing character that you should be honored to have in your movie.

An odd perspective from Abrams, considering Harrison Ford stole the spotlight more than Hamill ever could (no disrespect intended, Hamill was great in TLJ, but there's a reason Ford is one of the biggest movie stars of all time).

Also odd considering Abrams did a good job of casting, with audiences largely embracing the new characters out of the gate. They had some great chemistry and I generally didn't feel they were overwhelmed being in the shadow of Han Solo in the first movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
According to arndt...who along with Colin treverrow knows the dirty little secrets of this whole affair and isnt financially at Disney will...

LFL was given an absolute mandate that none of the three star’s could steal any scenes from the new people.

That is 100% leading back to Disney money analysts and market researchers. They got it way wrong.

I thought Ford was awful in the first - pointless - and Fisher was useless in both...
But they crossed the river and entered the Little Bighorn with fans when they messed with hamill.

You just can’t “off” that one. And after they tried to make him unlikeable - no less!!

Anyway...Abrams begged for Skywalker and arndt said he was told No. they simply couldn’t write a scene in the first were he didn’t steal the show.

The fact they didn’t want him too shows how bad Disney is at this...damning.

Hamill of course knew this...it’s all over his comments in inuendo.

I just read the arndt interview to the SGA from 2015 about 4 months ago.
It’s embarrassing I missed it. But I had never watched the vloggers who do Star Wars commentary before. Why would i? They’re useless like the Disney vloggers...

But I learned something down the rabbit hole here

Screamface

For the record, when JJ Abrams criticizes TLJ, he’s full of it.

JJ walked back Grunberg's comments.

“Here’s the thing about Greg,” Abrams said with a laugh. “You put a microphone in front of him and you never know what you’re going to get. I love my friend Greg, he’s been my best friend since kindergarten and I think that my enthusiasm for ‘VIII’ is enormous. I think he also might have invented a couple of the quotes that he gave.”

So he's being political, but if there was truth to him loving it and wanting to direct it. He wouldn't need to walk it back. My guess is, he may have said something he wanted to do the film in a different context from loving it.

Mike S

According to arndt...who along with Colin treverrow knows the dirty little secrets of this whole affair and isnt financially at Disney will...

LFL was given an absolute mandate that none of the three star’s could steal any scenes from the new people.

That is 100% leading back to Disney money analysts and market researchers. They got it way wrong.

I thought Ford was awful in the first - pointless - and Fisher was useless in both...
But they crossed the river and entered the Little Bighorn with fans when they messed with hamill.

You just can’t “off” that one. And after they tried to make him unlikeable - no less!!

Anyway...Abrams begged for Skywalker and arndt said he was told No. they simply couldn’t write a scene in the first were he didn’t steal the show.

The fact they didn’t want him too shows how bad Disney is at this...damning.

Hamill of course knew this...it’s all over his comments in inuendo.

I just read the arndt interview to the SGA from 2015 about 4 months ago.
It’s embarrassing I missed it. But I had never watched the vloggers who do Star Wars commentary before. Why would i? They’re useless like the Disney vloggers...

But I learned something down the rabbit hole here
So Disney, the company that lives and breathes by selling nostalgia, bought Star Wars to not sell it on the nostalgic return of everyone’s favorite heroes...

What?

Screamface

Ok, hold up. Something else just occurred to me.

Andy Serkis had once revealed in an interview that Snoke was "hundreds of years old". Too lazy to go dig-up which interview, but Google search "Andy Serkis says Snoke is hundreds of years old" and you'll find something. Trust me, it's there.

SO, that means Snoke was 200-years old at least, considering he is in his hundreds.
But in ROS, Palpatine says he created Snoke. So that means Palpatine would have to be well over 200.
But Palpatine is also Rey's grandfather, and she is only 30ish, considering she wasn't even in existence until well after the events of ROTJ.
So if Palpatine was old enough to create Snoke, a being which is hundreds of years old, yet be the grandfather of Rey, a 30-something young gir..

For this stuff, just realise that Snoke was created to be the big bad guy of the villain. Something other than Sith. RJ killed him, because it fitted his story. He didn't care that it stuffed up the trilogies story. Someone else can figure out what that can now be.

JJ just adapted his Snoke story, into just being The Emperor.

There's no point trying to make sense of these stories and logic. Just understand the horrible way this trilogy was made. Where someone came in smashed the story for the second film and walked away. Leaving others to try and salvage it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So Disney, the company that lives and breathes by selling nostalgia, bought Star Wars to not sell it on the nostalgic return of everyone’s favorite heroes...

What?
According to the screenwriter who bridges the Lucas treatments and the first couple of years of Disney ownership....yes...that is exactly what they did.

socalifornian

According to Wookiepedia Snoke was artificially created by Sidious “before 19 BBY” (before episode III). >53 doesn’t say much about him, however that’s interesting from Palpatines perspective

Mouse Trap

Alot of the problems with these movies is casting.

John Boyega was a mistake as the male lead for this trilogy.
Oscar Issac's character was supposed to be killed off in the first movie and they never figured out whether to make him a space rogue leading man or the comic relief emo clown.
Mediocre looking Adam Driver as the 30 year old teen angst kid of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher (how is that even possible?)
Audience can't identify or get invested in any of these actors in one movie not to mention a whole trilogy.
Even Ahlden Emerich, who was good as a supporting character in Hail Caeser lacks leading man qualities.

One thing Lucas got right with New Hope trilogy was the casting.
You look at the list of people who were up for Han Solo, and they were all leading men hearthrobs like Kurt Russell.
Carrie Fisher, home run.
Even Mark Hamill was an up an coming Brad Pitt (Before the car accident disfigured his face).
Sir Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing, James Earl Jones.

Once you get the casting wrong it's almost impossible to recover from that.

You’re basically stating that audiences can’t get invested in these characters because they aren’t, in your opinion, attractive? :banghead:

Mouse Trap

I’m not sure if this has made it to this forum yet, but whispers of Kevin Feige’s Star Wars future are getting more interesting. His involvement in Star Wars will be much more than the singular film that’s been discussed recently and a Feige + Filoni + Favreau executive creative team (with healthy promotions) seems to be developing with a much bigger plan than originally thought along with a massive shift in organizational structure at LF.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

That take - whether we can agree with it or not - moves the bar on the planet we call “earth”

Action and fantasy movies don’t need pretty faces. Never did. I‘m not going to name names, but there’s plenty of examples.

Other genres apart from comedy I’d entertain the argument for sure.

Last edited:

RandySavage

I agree that Casting was - for me - among of the biggest misteps. And the worst casting was Adam Driver. Everything about his performance as Rylo Ken irked me: his voice, demeanor, posture, delivery. I had never seen him before these movies and, to me, he is a charisma vacuum. And he didn't look even remotely like he could be the offspring of Leia and Han. As the 2nd most important character and redemptive figure of the trilogy, that made it hard for me to get onboard from the beginning. Vader he is not. Plenty of other actors were not up to the task at hand: General Hux, Rose, Carrie Fisher and her daughter, for example.

Mouse Trap

I agree that Casting was - for me - among of the biggest misteps. And the worst casting was Adam Driver. Everything about his performance as Rylo Ken irked me: his voice, demeanor, posture, delivery. I had never seen him before these movies and, to me, he is a charisma vacuum. And he didn't look even remotely like he could be the offspring of Leia and Han. As the 2nd most important character and redemptive figure of the trilogy, that made it hard for me to get onboard from the beginning. Vader he is not. Plenty of other actors were not up to the task at hand: General Hux, Rose, Carrie Fisher and her daughter, for example.

While everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions — there is no doubt Driver is a fan favorite. His performance as Kylo Ren is well received (whether you like the character or not is a different story) and more often than not regarded as the standout in all three films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom