News Beaches & Cream closing Aug 5 for refurb and expansion

Aries1975

😮

Wow, seeing Ariel's open to the public is so weird. Been a long time since that's happened.
I was told once the reasoning for using the space for private events only was the confusion of having a space named for a character without "princess" dining. I always wondered why they did not choose this space for the BonVoyage Breakfast as it is so nicely decorated for the sea.

dawnfire

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone has heard differently, but CM from Beaches were told to report to the location on Monday (Dec 16) to begin training. I'm assuming this means it will open earlier than the expected mid-Jan.

*edit - Soft opening is 23rd-25th and first reservations will be 26th.

Last edited:

peter11435

I was told once the reasoning for using the space for private events only was the confusion of having a space named for a character without "princess" dining. I always wondered why they did not choose this space for the BonVoyage Breakfast as it is so nicely decorated for the sea.
If that was the reasoning they would just change the name.

surfsupdon

I find it interesting that Yacht & Beach Club opens with Yachtsman, Captain's Grill, Crew's Cup, Hurricane Hanna's, Ariel's, Martha's Vineyard, Beaches and Cream, and Cape May Cafe. For only their hotel Guests in the area because nothing else was open. The demand and ratio of Guest to food place was awesome.

Then Disney adds BoardWalk Inn, Swan & Dolphin, and adds DVC to Beach Club adding hundreds of rooms and thousands of people, and closes Ariel's, never to really reopen, takes food away from Martha's Vineyard, and eliminates the to-go option from Beaches & Cream.

I guess the demand from neighboring restaurants forced their closures, but there were so many thousands of people added to Crescent Lake i'd think the options should remain. They did add Beach Club Marketplace, and then Ale and Compass about ten years too late. Those were welcome additions.

nickys

Premium Member
I find it interesting that Yacht & Beach Club opens with Yachtsman, Captain's Grill, Crew's Cup, Hurricane Hanna's, Ariel's, Martha's Vineyard, Beaches and Cream, and Cape May Cafe. For only their hotel Guests in the area because nothing else was open. The demand and ratio of Guest to food place was awesome.

Then Disney adds BoardWalk Inn, Swan & Dolphin, and adds DVC to Beach Club adding hundreds of rooms and thousands of people, and closes Ariel's, never to really reopen, takes food away from Martha's Vineyard, and eliminates the to-go option from Beaches & Cream.

I guess the demand from neighboring restaurants forced their closures, but there were so many thousands of people added to Crescent Lake i'd think the options should remain. They did add Beach Club Marketplace, and then Ale and Compass about ten years too late. Those were welcome additions.

They also added dining to the Swan and Dolphin though.

And restaurants on the Boardwalk, which I assume opened around the same time as the resort there.

JayKZ

Umm... The Dolphin and Swan opened several months before Yacht and Beach.

surfsupdon

Umm... The Dolphin and Swan opened several months before Yacht and Beach.
My fault sorry. I was illustrating how Resorts open with x and capacity y....but then capacity increases and services decrease. Thanks for telling me I was incorrect, really, I like to know the truth :)

JayKZ

My fault sorry. I was illustrating how Resorts open with x and capacity y....but then capacity increases and services decrease. Thanks for telling me I was incorrect, really, I like to know the truth :)
Likewise, I wasn't trying to be snarky. I get what you're saying. Adding DVC rooms to existing resorts without adding additional dining and facilities doesn't enhance the experience. Just more places where you can't get a decent meal without an ADR. Grrr.

peter11435

Likewise, I wasn't trying to be snarky. I get what you're saying. Adding DVC rooms to existing resorts without adding additional dining and facilities doesn't enhance the experience. Just more places where you can't get a decent meal without an ADR. Grrr.
I can’t actually think of a time when DVC was added to an existing resort where dining wasn’t added or expanded.

peter11435

VGF? And does BLT count?
They refurbished and expanded Gasparilla Grill as part of the VGF project.

As part of the BLT project the resorts quick service was moved upstairs and greatly expanded/improved and they added the Wave. Concourse steakhouse was removed but it had lower capacity and catered to only one meal.

Last edited:

YDdraigGoch

They refurbished and expanded Gasparilla Grill as part of the VGF project.

As part of the BLT project the resorts quick service was moved upstairs and greatly expanded/improved and they added the Wave. Concourse steakhouse was removed but it had lower capacity and catered to only one meal.

Hadn’t realised so much changed at the resort when they added BLT. Especially the WAVE isn’t as old as I assumed.

To be fair the refurb at Gasparilla Grill didn’t add much - maybe less than 50 seats?? Probably the smallest change but also smallest DVC addition.

scottieRoss

however, keep in mind that Boardwalk opened with additional dining capacity above its requirements. Overall, while demand for dining increased, the supply also increased (dining options in walking distance) thus lowering overall demand at Beach/Yacht

peter11435

Hadn’t realised so much changed at the resort when they added BLT. Especially the WAVE isn’t as old as I assumed.

To be fair the refurb at Gasparilla Grill didn’t add much - maybe less than 50 seats?? Probably the smallest change but also smallest DVC addition.
Gasparilla wasn’t a huge expansion but enough given the size of the GFV. It did greatly expand their menu and quality of food though.

build_it

The concept art from the DPB is so lifeless. We always enjoyed the retro ice cream parlor look. Welcome to the new conference center room with ice cream. I hope it’s better in person.... 🧐

ToTBellHop

Unpopular opinion, but I actually love the new modern look in the renderings.
My issue is that some of Disney's resorts (most) are meant to look like another time. This place was supposed to look like a '50s soda fountain where guests were being transported back to that time. New Disney is very clearly set in 2019. So locations are no longer themed to look like they are from the past and guests are being transported back to that time. They are being decorated to kind of, sort of look reminiscent of old design elements.

So it's kind of like a Denny's.

Dr.GrantSeeker

My issue is that some of Disney's resorts (most) are meant to look like another time. This place was supposed to look like a '50s soda fountain where guests were being transported back to that time. New Disney is very clearly set in 2019. So locations are no longer themed to look like they are from the past and guests are being transported back to that time. They are being decorated to kind of, sort of look reminiscent of old design elements.

So it's kind of like a Denny's.

It doesn't look bad from that piece of art. But I hope that it still very much looks like a 50s soda shoppe!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom