Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

CinematicFusion

Word on the street is seldom right about these things. Few people have actually seen the movie at this point. Similar things have been said about every single Disney Star Wars movie. One of the times when word on the street said that the movie felt forced together and didn't flow, and the movie was in trouble was Rogue One, which most people seem to agree was an excellent movie. So let's judge it on its own merits when it comes out.

But enough about Rise of Skywalker. This thread is about Rise of the Resistance, which looks like a masterpiece.

Rise of the Resistance is an awesome ride, level of detail is incredible. Animatronics are outstanding. However for me as an older fan who isn't that keen on the new cast with the exception of Rey, it's hard to get totally immersed. I can't help thinking how much cooler this ride would have been to use Han,Luke,Leia escaping the Death Star with Darth Vader chasing them. I kept recalling the Rouge one Scene with Vader that gave me chills and how cool it would have been to have Vader in the ride. That's just me, it could have been done with Todays tech but Disney has gone all in with the new cast.

That's my only complaint, I'm sure I'm in the minority when it comes to that and everyone prefers the new cast to the old cast. I'm just showing my age. :)

tirian

Imagine an alternate reality where the land opened with both attractions. Given the reviews for RotR, I suspect that MFSR would have been better received as the secondary attraction of the land.
It won’t matter now. Galaxy’s Edge now will become what it was always supposed to be (hopefully they add droids).

When they finally break away from the new trilogy and bring in the OT, it’ll feel complete. I’m saying “when,” not “if,” based on the sentiments building within the company—but it’s still a matter of hope, not fact.

Ironically, I hate the new movies and love this attraction just based on ride-through videos. Star Wars is 75% atmosphere, and this ride nails it.

As for DHS: ROTR is a phenomenal addition to the park’s lineup. But incredibly, people are still worried about its impact in DL. Maybe the whole land should’ve been built in DCA. It’s too late for that now.

tirian

Rise of the Resistance is an awesome ride, level of detail is incredible. Animatronics are outstanding. However for me as an older fan who isn't that keen on the new cast with the exception of Rey, it's hard to get totally immersed. I can't help thinking how much cooler this ride would have been to use Han,Luke,Leia escaping the Death Star with Darth Vader chasing them. I kept recalling the Rouge one Scene with Vader that gave me chills and how cool it would have been to have Vader in the ride. That's just me, it could have been done with Todays tech but Disney has gone all in with the new cast.

That's my only complaint, I'm sure I'm in the minority when it comes to that and everyone prefers the new cast to the old cast. I'm just showing my age. :)
Don’t knock yourself. How would you explain those of us in our late 20s who prefer the OT? ;)

Everybody definitely does not prefer the new movies or cast.

Last edited:

britain

When they finally break away from the new trilogy and bring in the OT, it’ll feel complete. I’m saying “when,” not “if,” based on the sentiments building within the company—but it’s still a matter of hope, not fact.

Ironically, I hate the new movies and love this attraction just based on ride-through videos. Star Wars is 75% atmosphere, and this ride nails it.

As for DHS: ROTR is a phenomenal addition to the park’s lineup. But incredibly, people are still worried about its impact in DL. Maybe the whole land should’ve been built in DCA. It’s too late for that now.

With our luck, Tokyo will get the OT version of the ride.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I doubt they will do that, tbh. While you're primarily a fan of the OT in your 20s, the new trilogy does resonate much more with late millennials/GenZ. My 10 year old son is a good example. He likes all Star Wars, but prefers the ST and the Clone Wars to the OT, while I like all things Star Wars, including the ST, but would rank the OT as my favorite.

That younger group of fans is coming of age, and to many, many of them the PT or ST is their favorite. By keeping it as the ST they are futureproofing it to that generation of fan rather to the aging Boomer/GenX crowd that identifies the most with the OT.

LSLS

I doubt they will do that, tbh. While you're primarily a fan of the OT in your 20s, the new trilogy does resonate much more with late millennials/GenZ. My 10 year old son is a good example. He likes all Star Wars, but prefers the ST and the Clone Wars to the OT, while I like all things Star Wars, including the ST, but would rank the OT as my favorite.

That younger group of fans is coming of age, and to many, many of them the PT or ST is their favorite. By keeping it as the ST they are futureproofing it to that generation of fan rather to the aging Boomer/GenX crowd that identifies the most with the OT.

The easy way to tell is toy sales. My kid likes Rey and Porgs more than about anything in Star Wars, but my kid is not evidence.

david10225

Just a personal observation - having watched a few of the videos, in one, the people riding have no reactions throughout the ride, except for the drop they are basically silent. In a couple of others - they have lots of shots of the people in the vehicle, smiling and clapping and pointing and laughing. It almost seemed staged. I suppose for the general public it will be somewhere in between. I was curious if people would spontaneously burst into applause at the end such as we see frequently at Soaring.

gerarar

Premium Member
Found the following videos on Twitter;

First one shows the side view of the AT-AT as you go up in the lift. A stormtrooper inside the AT-AT spots you and grabs a blaster cannon. You also see Finn hunched down behind some crates as you go up:

This second view shows you directly in front of the AT-AT, and as you go up the lift (correct me if I'm wrong), the AT-AT moves and points directly at you and shoots! You also see Finn pinned up against the corner of a wall taking cover:

With both paths/povs, I gotta say the blaster hits on the wall are really convincing and life-like. This ride is AMAZING!!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just a personal observation - having watched a few of the videos, in one, the people riding have no reactions throughout the ride, except for the drop they are basically silent. In a couple of others - they have lots of shots of the people in the vehicle, smiling and clapping and pointing and laughing. It almost seemed staged. I suppose for the general public it will be somewhere in between. I was curious if people would spontaneously burst into applause at the end such as we see frequently at Soaring.

The ones that show the people in the cars are a Disney promo video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom