News New Parade: Magic Happens

TsWade2

No it won't. Parades will continue to concentrate on the TLM group and some recent movies. We are never going to see a Robin Hood or 101 Dalmatians dedicated float. A Black Caldron float would seriously kick ***.
Well, sometimes you'll never know. It might happen, if it succeeds.

mickeyfan5534

Your more likely to see a float with a big tv on it with the Disney princesses dancing around it.
c58131e6ae45912e3662344545b8f22a.jpg

You mean like this?

Ismael Flores

No it won't. Parades will continue to concentrate on the TLM group and some recent movies. We are never going to see a Robin Hood or 101 Dalmatians dedicated float. A Black Caldron float would seriously kick ***.

a while back i asked Steve Davidsons why the entertainment focused so much on the same characters over and over and he got a bit upset. One of the questions i asked was why re-use the Chernabog for WOC when it was already one of the main villians in Fantasmic. In my opinion that sequence made WOC to similar to Fantasmic and why not use another strong villian like the Horned King. I remember him answering something like are you kidding that movie sucks and i use movies that i like.

Its all good that he likes those movies but they become repetitive and tiresome. Disney really needs to remember that they have a strong base of fans and the hype around Disney+ should prove to them that people want some of those old classic represented in the parks.

Phroobar

a while back i asked Steve Davidsons why the entertainment focused so much on the same characters over and over and he got a bit upset. One of the questions i asked was why re-use the Chernabog for WOC when it was already one of the main villians in Fantasmic. In my opinion that sequence made WOC to similar to Fantasmic and why not use another strong villian like the Horned King. I remember him answering something like are you kidding that movie sucks and i use movies that i like.

Its all good that he likes those movies but they become repetitive and tiresome. Disney really needs to remember that they have a strong base of fans and the hype around Disney+ should prove to them that people want some of those old classic represented in the parks.
The man has very limited taste. He probably reads too many WDW forum posts.

brb1006

I also remember it, I was an Young Adult back then.... Now I am a sage person that folks call me the Voice of Reason... If they only knew ;)
Here's photos of Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit from the Christmas Parade. Screenshots just in case the video gets deleted in the future.
JBqXSBO.png

Ffs5qM8.png

W0jKJy0.png

tyqBg9a.png

Since these screenshots were taken sometime between 1978 or 1983. The parade marked the only known park appearances of Remus.

Darkbeer1

FYI, Aylene Lewis was the actress (Face Character) chosen by the Quaker Oats Company, owner of the Aunt Jemina Company, to portray Aunt Jemina at Disneyland for over a Decade. She was chosen as she closely matched the original "image". She ended up finding a close friendship with Walt Disney.

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/question/2019/april_may.htm

TP2000

FYI, Aylene Lewis was the actress (Face Character) chosen by the Quaker Oats Company, owner of the Aunt Jemina Company, to portray Aunt Jemina at Disneyland for over a Decade. She was chosen as she closely matched the original "image". She ended up finding a close friendship with Walt Disney.

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/question/2019/april_may.htm

And she makes darn good pancakes. I still use her boxed mix about once a week for Pancake Morning. Much better than Bisquick. Pick up a box of her mix next time you're at the store and you'll thank me later! Delicious!

GUEST_7c6f6eb3-324d-42e9-82b3-29f42ed447fa

Although the lady on the box doesn't look old-timey like she did in the 1950's. She's lost her kerchief and her plaid blouse. Probably a bit too "plantation" looking for modern eyes. But her pancakes remain the same, thank goodness!

a while back i asked Steve Davidsons why the entertainment focused so much on the same characters over and over and he got a bit upset.

Good for you for asking him that! I doubt anyone in his daily work team/entourage has the guts to say that to him.

Steve Davidson was such a breath of fresh air when he created the new fireworks for Disneyland's 45th anniversary in 2000, and it was nothing less than confirmation that Disneyland was going to be okay after the Light Magic debacle and in the depths of the Pressler Era. He continued to do wonderful, memorable work for Disneyland's 50th in '05. But ever since about 2010 things have become stagnant and predictable from Davidson's creative organization. The same characters, the same floats, the same songs, the same villains, the same story arc, same, same, same.

And when Mr. Davidson tried something new, like "Lil' Sprite" in World of Color, it wasn't fleshed out enough creatively to make it to the final product. The remake of the Electrical Parade around that same time, with all those Tinkerbell swoopy things nailed onto the floats, also didn't live up to the pre-opening hype and promise.

Either his touch has dulled with age, or his new found Big Shot status as a WDW senior executive has just made him lazy and sloppy, or he's become calcified in corporate bureaucracy. Probably a bit of both, phoning it in for whichever park orders a new parade or fireworks. Perhaps its time for Mr. Davidson to pass the torch and keep his weakening reputation intact?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom