Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

tribbleorlfl

I still wonder why they didn't just alter ep8 to have her pass in the movie and keep Luke alive. Everyone would have understood a semi unceremonious exit. Who knows, maybe it will work out alright.
While this is a very valid point, at the same time, we would have missed out on the touching Luke and Leia reunion on Crait.

Unfortunately, Ms. Fisher's untimely passing just left them with no good choices for Episode 9, so they honestly went with the most palatable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While this is a very valid point, at the same time, we would have missed out on the touching Luke and Leia reunion on Crait.

Unfortunately, Ms. Fisher's untimely passing just left them with no good choices for Episode 9, so they honestly went with the most palatable.
I would’ve been willing to sacrifice that.

You mean the part with the hair joke that made zero sense whatsoever?

Here’s some fun news:

So that would be fun, huh? Because it makes sense to retcon empire and Jedi 40 freaking years later to make it all about Princess Leia, huh?

I was “tolerant” for many years...but anyone who does not want Kennedy fired immediately is sitting on their brain.

This has been worse than Jar Jar...really it has. All of it.

tk924

This has been worse than Jar Jar...really it has. All of it.
Yep. The only way I can come to terms with any of this is to just think of Disney's ST as taking place in an alternate universe. It is not part of the Skywalker saga. That ended with RotJ. The ST is Disney's version of Star Wars, not mine.
Now R1 has a really good story that fit perfectly between 3 and 4. Even with it's SJW flaws, I can even have Solo in there too.
I've seen articles recently that say after TROS, Star Wars films will go on a long hiatus up to 2022. Hopefully this means a Ruin Johnson ban from anything even related to Star Wars. KK's current contract expires in 2021 and hopefully that means she'll be gone as well.
I think that Disney+ is a chance to maybe get some of the fans back. Hopefully The Mandalorian will be good. It looks good even with dollar store Boba Fett but I hope this is not a 'bait and switch' scenario. It needs to keep a far distance from anything ST related. If this show, at any point, leaves the OT feel behind and jumps into ST crap, then I'm done. I'm out.
The Kenobi and Cassian Andor series are too far out to even comment. I just hope that Favreau and/or Filoni are somehow involved with these shows as well. They seem to be the only ones that give a damn about Star Wars.

erasure fan1

It is a tough situation, but I swing more towards @Sirwalterraleigh on this one. I would have given up that moment, for the betterment of the saga. Personally I thought the c3p0 moment with him saying "master Luke" and then the little wink, was a more powerful moment. I think the reason is, Ford was still Han, Mark was still Luke. Carrie... not so much. She just never really recaptured Leia. It pains me to say it, but I just never believed Leia was back in the sequels, if that makes sense. I really hope they were able to do something meaningful with her footage in 9. I'm just not real optimistic.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is a tough situation, but I swing more towards @Sirwalterraleigh on this one. I would have given up that moment, for the betterment of the saga. Personally I thought the c3p0 moment with him saying "master Luke" and then the little wink, was a more powerful moment. I think the reason is, Ford was still Han, Mark was still Luke. Carrie... not so much. She just never really recaptured Leia. It pains me to say it, but I just never Leia was back in the sequels, if that makes sense. I really hope they were able to do something meaningful with her footage in 9. I'm just not real optimistic.
SENSITIVITY ALERT (you’ve been warned)

Carrie Fisher - though I respect her advocacy and place in Hollywood history - was not physically capable of being brought back into that part.

She wasn’t herself (check the late 90’s...THAT was Leia in maturity)

But the really bad plastic surgery rendered her incapable of actually “acting”....
And she never was in the right condition to complete this.

What do I mean?
The toxicology report had cocaine, extasy, alcohol and opium in it...
Didn’t really get much pub.

The Kennedy/abrams love fest with her continues to look so tone deaf. More blind attempting to lead the blind.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep. The only way I can come to terms with any of this is to just think of Disney's ST as taking place in an alternate universe. It is not part of the Skywalker saga. That ended with RotJ. The ST is Disney's version of Star Wars, not mine.
Now R1 has a really good story that fit perfectly between 3 and 4. Even with it's SJW flaws, I can even have Solo in there too.
I've seen articles recently that say after TROS, Star Wars films will go on a long hiatus up to 2022. Hopefully this means a Ruin Johnson ban from anything even related to Star Wars. KK's current contract expires in 2021 and hopefully that means she'll be gone as well.
I think that Disney+ is a chance to maybe get some of the fans back. Hopefully The Mandalorian will be good. It looks good even with dollar store Boba Fett but I hope this is not a 'bait and switch' scenario. It needs to keep a far distance from anything ST related. If this show, at any point, leaves the OT feel behind and jumps into ST crap, then I'm done. I'm out.
The Kenobi and Cassian Andor series are too far out to even comment. I just hope that Favreau and/or Filoni are somehow involved with these shows as well. They seem to be the only ones that give a damn about Star Wars.
You mean this??

This is Disney admitting failure on Star Wars. Listen up, Dusters, this is it. Period.

“Strategic repositioning”, my ....

That’s why they have they are grasping to get 8 marvel movies in production...because they are so clever as to “not oversaturate”

As much as Lucas wanted to sell toys and had no need for the old fandom...Disney has no need for the fandom now.

Vanity, stock price and profits, an a nonsensical chase for new demographics that they neither needed, nor weren’t there have left the franchise on life support.

After the prequels...how is that even possible??

erasure fan1

but anyone who does not want Kennedy fired immediately is sitting on their brain.
At this point in time, I'm not sure how or why she is being defended. I get she had a part in some of the most iconic movies in film history. But that really doesn't mean she was the right choice for star wars. The creative direction for the franchise has been way off the mark. There are just way to many missed opportunities for me to think she is the right person for the job.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At this point in time, I'm not sure how or why she is being defended. I get she had a part in some of the most iconic movies in film history. But that really doesn't mean she was the right choice for star wars. The creative direction for the franchise has been way off the mark. There are just way to many missed opportunities for me to think she is the right person for the job.
I think the damage done is more permanent than the prequels.

George said: “I just want money and it’s my right to experiment”
Okay...a lot of original fans rejected that...but I think they respected it.

Kennedy has said: “we at Disney think Star Wars is best used to serve a different audience(s)”

IMHO...and it’s just that...that is way worse.

erasure fan1

I think the damage done is more permanent than the prequels.

George said: “I just want money and it’s my right to experiment”
Okay...a lot of original fans rejected that...but I think they respected it.

Kennedy has said: “we at Disney think Star Wars is best used to serve a different audience(s)”

IMHO...and it’s just that...that is way worse.
Of course it's worse. What Disney has done, is essentially give the original fans the bird and say we don't need or want you. Unfortunately that is a much harder bridge to mend.

Joesixtoe

Imagine if Luke was really there with a "light sword" facing down the first order.. I think a lot of people would have forgiven TLJ as a whole... I know that's what I was thinking at the end in the theater. I remember the resistance stranded and trapped within the mountain.. and I thought Luke has got to show up, he better cause this movie needs it. It needed that grand ending... eh bait and switched.

erasure fan1

Imagine if Luke was really there with a "light sword" facing down the first order.. I think a lot of people would have forgiven TLJ as a whole... I know that's what I was thinking at the end in the theater. I remember the resistance stranded and trapped within the mountain.. and I thought Luke has got to show up, he better cause this movie needs it. It needed that grand ending... eh bait and switched.
Yea, they have had issues with how they've handled Luke. They had the same issue in force awakens. The light saber in the snow starts to wiggle and basically the whole world said "Oh man! Here we go! Lukes coming to kick some tail!" But nope, they didn't want it to be Lukes story again. But all most people wanted, was one glimpse of him being a Jedi bad A.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course it's worse. What Disney has done, is essentially give the original fans the bird and say we don't need or want you. Unfortunately that is a much harder bridge to mend.
For me...it’s that they didn’t learn the mistakes of the prequels. And that fundamentally was the reality that there was nothing wrong with the look, pacing and tone of the original trilogy.

How you make the mistake of not pursuing that Again is beyond me. Edwards tried to do that and she HATED him for it.
I’ll only repeat what the experts have said: mark Hamill carried Star Wars. He is the backbone of a $100 billion dollar franchise.

I’m trusting Gary Kurtz, Irvin kershner (in particular) and frank oz. He made empire (their words)...which took a popcorn flick and gave the franchise its pathos and ethos.

He was the one to be revered of the original 3...Disney couldn’t have handled it worse.

They have treated him like Clint Howard.
Abrams and Kennedy kissed all the way up to ford and fisher...which only confirms what I feared: it’s just about the Hollywood social circle and money to them...why bother with the stories?
Yea, they have had issues with how they've handled Luke. They had the same issue in force awakens. The light saber in the snow starts to wiggle and basically the whole world said "Oh man! Here we go! Lukes coming to kick some tail!" But nope, they didn't want it to be Lukes story again. But all most people wanted, was one glimpse of him being a Jedi bad A.
See above...

But I think the longterm rub/discussion is gonna be about how they completely mishandled Luke skywalker. It’s already started and it will only intensify.

The die is cast...most especially if the rumors are true.

RandySavage

Not to dwell too deeply on it, but what makes up Canon SW is fluid (to Lucasfilm) and can be just as fluid and subjective to the audience.

I adore Rogue One for many reasons. At the same time I've enjoyed listening to the brilliant Radio Dramatizations produced in association with Lucasfilm back in the 80s (if you haven't heard these, you will definitely want to find them on Youtube). The two present a totally different story of the acquisition of the Death Star plans. Both are "official", so which is canon to the SW story becomes an individual choice. I don't know about the Expanded Universe of comics, novels and games but I imagine there exist many other pathways as to what happened after Jedi than what we've seen under Abrams.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to dwell too deeply on it, but what makes up Canon SW is fluid (to Lucasfilm) and can be just as fluid and subjective to the audience.

I adore Rogue One for many reasons. At the same time I've enjoyed listening to the brilliant Radio Dramatizations produced in association with Lucasfilm back in the 80s (if you haven't heard these, you will definitely want to find them on Youtube). The two present a totally different story of the acquisition of the Death Star plans. Both are "official", so which is canon to the SW story becomes an individual choice. I don't know about the Expanded Universe of comics, novels and games but I imagine there exist many other pathways as to what happened after Jedi than what we've seen under Abrams.
I’m ok with a fractured continuity/IP...it allows for creativity.

What Disney did was to decree a singular “uniform” franchise...then make bizarre crap that had no intention of continuum.

rowrbazzle

He did show up and he saved the day, sacrificing himself in the process. I think that's a pretty grand ending.

Joesixtoe

His character wouldn't sacrifice himself to save his sister and what was left of the resistance?
His character would not have told his sister that her son is beyond saving(I believe he said that). Come on, would it not have been much cooler if he showed up in person, raising his ship out of the water(to show an obvious progression and call back from empire), and then sure he somehow can still sacrifice himself, just have Luke there kicking some tail first.. that's all.. the crowd would have gone nuts.

Joesixtoe

For me...it’s that they didn’t learn the mistakes of the prequels. And that fundamentally was the reality that there was nothing wrong with the look, pacing and tone of the original trilogy.

How you make the mistake of not pursuing that Again is beyond me. Edwards tried to do that and she HATED him for it.

I’ll only repeat what the experts have said: mark Hamill carried Star Wars. He is the backbone of a $100 billion dollar franchise.

I’m trusting Gary Kurtz, Irvin kershner (in particular) and frank oz. He made empire (their words)...which took a popcorn flick and gave the franchise its pathos and ethos.

He was the one to be revered of the original 3...Disney couldn’t have handled it worse.

They have treated him like Clint Howard.
Abrams and Kennedy kissed all the way up to ford and fisher...which only confirms what I feared: it’s just about the Hollywood social circle and money to them...why bother with the stories?
See above...

But I think the longterm rub/discussion is gonna be about how they completely mishandled Luke skywalker. It’s already started and it will only intensify.

The die is cast...most especially if the rumors are true.
What are the rumors for Luke? If you don't mind me asking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom