Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I mean, they know it’s *the* ship. We heard Kylo asking some people if anyone had seen Rey/Chewbacca near it as we walked by, but it’s not gonna do them any good to blow it up if no one’s on it.

That’s just a dragon on top of Gringotts situation, though; if you think about it too much, the logic falls apart, but they knew it’d be a killer photo op so they did it anyways.
Except you are meant to be in a actual planet in star wars, they might not blow up the ship but they should inpound it.

Rich Brownn

I mean, they know it’s *the* ship. We heard Kylo asking some people if anyone had seen Rey/Chewbacca near it as we walked by, but it’s not gonna do them any good to blow it up if no one’s on it.

That’s just a dragon on top of Gringotts situation, though; if you think about it too much, the logic falls apart, but they knew it’d be a killer photo op so they did it anyways.

Edited to add: thinking about it more, is this not the case with any IP land though? Unless you do your research beforehand, it’s not immediately clear what part of the story you’re meant to be in until you start exploring, and even then you don’t get the details without talking to a cast member or reading ancillary info.

You have to ride Flight of Passage to find out that the Avatar land is set way after the movie. Diagon Alley is set in a different time than Gringotts, which is in a different time than Forbidden Journey, none of which is immediately clear until you start thinking about which characters are and aren’t showing up (or alive) in each area.
Actually there's signage welcoming you to the valley when you enter Pandora that explains the setting and the recovery efforts.

mikejs78

Premium Member
All fans wanted as a land that celebrated all of Star Wars.
That's all you wanted. You do not speak for all Star Wars fans, or anything close to a majority of SW fans. I for one love the concept of what they've done with Galaxy's Edge and can't wait to see it in person. The immersive quality is exactly what I want in a SW land, not just some droll, unimaginative land that merely "celebrates all of Star Wars". I want to feel like I'm in the universe (as much as Is possible within the practical constraints of running a theme park).

Bright Suns!

Bender123

Just thought of something, why don't they have the storm troopers or Kylo walk around the cantina looking for rebel errrr resistance spies? Those are walkaround characters they already have in the land, have them stop by and interogate people as they are having some expensive drinks?

Stuff like that was supposed to happen, but then the cost cutting started.

JLipnick

That's all you wanted. You do not speak for all Star Wars fans, or anything close to a majority of SW fans. I for one love the concept of what they've done with Galaxy's Edge and can't wait to see it in person. The immersive quality is exactly what I want in a SW land, not just some droll, unimaginative land that merely "celebrates all of Star Wars". I want to feel like I'm in the universe (as much as Is possible within the practical constraints of running a theme park).

Bright Suns!
As an enormous star wars fan, I have not yet had the opportunity to visit Galaxy's Edge. We are DVC members and visit WDW a few times a year. We were there in August two weeks before GE opened. I was sooo bummed that there weren't DVC or Gold AP previews. I will be there again in 2.5 weeks and I must say I cannot recall another WDW trip that I have been so excited for. I can't wait for the immersion and I will probably be able to spend days in the land just looking at all the details. Now I am just hoping for a possible soft opening of RotR since we will be there the week before it opens.

Surferboy567

Bright Suns!

THANK YOU! I couldn’t of said it better.

Mickeyboof

Edited to add: thinking about it more, is this not the case with any IP land though? Unless you do your research beforehand, it’s not immediately clear what part of the story you’re meant to be in until you start exploring, and even then you don’t get the details without talking to a cast member or reading ancillary info.

You have to ride Flight of Passage to find out that the Avatar land is set way after the movie. Diagon Alley is set in a different time than Gringotts, which is in a different time than Forbidden Journey, none of which is immediately clear until you start thinking about which characters are and aren’t showing up (or alive) in each area.

Yes! All very true. Which is why Galaxy’s Edge suffers from it’s timeline. All other IP lands really simply celebrate the lore of the movie they’re set in.

The designers of Galaxy’s Edge want us to believe it’s a real factual day at a real factual planet called Batuu. That’s where the problem lives. That’s where inconsistencies that wouldn’t matter at Harry Potter or Pandora suddenly do matter at Galaxy’s Edge- because they are forcing timeline and realism down our throats.

Everyone involved with Galaxy’s Edge is guilty of flying the falcon a little too close to the sun.

Mickeyboof

Bright Suns!

You haven’t been?

It doesn’t feel like you’re in a universe.

It doesn’t even feel like you’re in a theme park.

Chet Dakota

Just thought of something, why don't they have the storm troopers or Kylo walk around the cantina looking for rebel errrr resistance spies? Those are walkaround characters they already have in the land, have them stop by and interogate people as they are having some expensive drinks?
Agree. When I visited Oga’s, I thought the same thing. Another missed opportunity by management.

Goofyernmost

Isn't that the entire point?

Or because you yourself can't enjoy the immersion must mean it's a failure right?
Just a quick note... In September I went to Galaxy's Edge and road the ride. It wasn't knock your socks off for me but that might have been because I had to go to the ride via a different path then the others because of a temporary disability so I might have missed a lot of the detail. However, what I did see was jaw dropping and immersive beyond anything I have ever seen. I went after dark, so it might have a different feel in daylight, but it sure was impressive at night. No part of the park was visible from the land. The detail down to bolts and rivets, pipes and vents made you feel like you had left the known and entered the unknown.

It might be important to say that I am not a fan of Star Wars but I'm not a hater either. I went into it completely ignorant of past story lines or even the just of the concept of Star Wars. The only deception that I think that Disney not only over played, but led people to believe that everyone will get to Pilot. You don't! Out of 6 (I think) people boarding for the flight only two were chosen as Pilot and Co-Pilot. It also felt very much like Mission, Space except you are not as closed in but the tasks of everyone was assigned and guided. So for those that are claustrophobic and can't handle M:S this one will give you basically the same with shades of Star Tours. The land itself was spectacular (again at night. No idea what it is like in the daylight.)

In my amateurish viewpoint I would think that having a completely new situation would make it more immersive because you do not have any preconceived notions about what you see, hear or interact with. If I were to give some advice, which I realize will be discounted, forget all the past stuff. Just go in with excitement concerning what you will experience for the first time and enjoy a few billion dollars worth of an imaginary planet.

rd805

Bright Suns!

As a lifelong Star Wars fan, GE is very good (but it is NOT the best)-- just wait until you see the "immersive" quality. Everything feels stagnant and lifeless. There are a few QUICK & EASY fixes, that would involve taking you out of the full immersion (they need more characters, and star wars soundtrack), rather than the lack of noise they have now. Also, the 'set's should be accessible, and the props NOT fenced off (droids/ships/etc.).

You'll see what I mean..

scaughron

As an enormous star wars fan, I have not yet had the opportunity to visit Galaxy's Edge. We are DVC members and visit WDW a few times a year. We were there in August two weeks before GE opened. I was sooo bummed that there weren't DVC or Gold AP previews. I will be there again in 2.5 weeks and I must say I cannot recall another WDW trip that I have been so excited for. I can't wait for the immersion and I will probably be able to spend days in the land just looking at all the details. Now I am just hoping for a possible soft opening of RotR since we will be there the week before it opens.

Make sure to use the Data pad in the play Disney app. I could have spent all day playing around with it.

Mickeyboof

Isn't that the entire point?

Or because you yourself can't enjoy the immersion must mean it's a failure right?

A stillborn theme park land is not enjoyable, no.

The funny thing is we know nothing about one another here. For instance, you have no clue immersive and environmental theatre and performance is not only my preferred form of entertainment, but was my academic focus and now career.

So to say something cute like I “can't enjoy the immersion” is absolutely hilarious. Oh, the internet.

I love immersion. But immersion doesn’t mean Real. Disneyland is Immersive because they have a physical space where the rules change. Disneyland is inherently immersive. In that sense, Target is inherently immersive because you’re in a changed space that reflects the story (which is their brand). There is a sense of Presentation. That is why the word immersive keeps popping up. Immersive shopping experience, immersive social media experience, immersive museums… Immersive is an awful word right now.

“Disneyland is presented as imaginary in order to make us believe that the rest is real, when in fact all of Los Angeles and the America surrounding it are no longer real, but of the order of the hyperreal and of simulation.”

Which means.... Disneyland is MORE real than any other place because it whole-heartedly confesses that it simply is a theme park. At the beginning of the day, a voice welcomes us to enjoy our day “in this magical place called Disneyland.” Its incredible the level of self-awareness Disneyland has. Something few other parks have the unwavering confidence to do.

Galaxy’s Edge, however, is pretending oh-so-hard that it is NOT a theme park, that it is NOT an attraction. Therefore it feels false, fake, a shell and does not bode well with the Park it’s settle within. BECAUSE it refuses to admit it’s a theme park land celebrating the lore of Star Wars, one of our greatest modern myths, it suffers greatly from contradictions and overall stagnate in story telling.

This is also the reason it bodes better in Disney's Hollywood Studios, which frankly has had an internal struggle understanding who for decades. Galaxy's Edge fits snuggly here, more than at confident Disneyland.

Its funny- by exhausting the concept that Galaxy’s Edge is a “real” place in “real” time, it makes it less “real” to our imaginations.

ToTBellHop

As a lifelong Star Wars fan, GE is very good (but it is NOT the best)-- just wait until you see the "immersive" quality. Everything feels stagnant and lifeless. There are a few QUICK & EASY fixes, that would involve taking you out of the full immersion (they need more characters, and star wars soundtrack), rather than the lack of noise they have now. Also, the 'set's should be accessible, and the props NOT fenced off (droids/ships/etc.).

You'll see what I mean..
They can't let people touch the setpieces. People don't have the self-control for that. I also disagree on the soundtrack. I don't mind it not being used in Pandora. I imagine they will use it on RotR, however (like Flight of Passage).

Mickeyboof

They can't let people touch the setpieces. People don't have the self-control for that. I also disagree on the soundtrack. I don't mind it not being used in Pandora. I imagine they will use it on RotR, however (like Flight of Passage).

Except in other lands where props and sets aren't closed off.

Logic, man.

Jones14

The designers of Galaxy’s Edge want us to believe it’s a real factual day at a real factual planet called Batuu.
I actually love the idea of making it a real day in a real place, but I agree with you that the land isn’t hitting that mark as of yet. I disagree that the specific timeline is the problem, though. I think it’s more that the place feels like it’s missing a bunch of stuff that it’s clearly designed to have, like a second ride, a small stunt show, ships flying overhead, and a live alien band. The land draws me in wonderfully as is, it just needs more things to keep me there.

Mickeyboof

I actually love the idea of making it a real day in a real place, but I agree with you that the land isn’t hitting that mark as of yet. I disagree that the specific timeline is the problem, though. I think it’s more that the place feels like it’s missing a bunch of stuff that it’s clearly designed to have, like a second ride, a small stunt show, and a live alien band. The land draws me in wonderfully as is, it just needs more things to keep me there.

Sure, I wouldn't mind a specific timeline either- IF in that very "real" day something happens besides Vi sneaking around muttering something about spying (you can't hide in neon orange...) or Chewbacca playing simon says with children.

If the place was actually telling a story rather than relying on vignettes, I would be all in for this timeline nonsense. But that is not happening here.

Because nothing happens here.

Even the datapad, which is supposed to lean the land's imaginary infrastructure organically from the Resistance to the First Order doesn't actually have an effect on the land.

Quite literally, nothing happens. Nothing happens in New Orleans Square, either... but thats fine because it is a self-confessing theme park land with so much kinetic energy and explosive nighttime spectacular, that linear storytelling does not matter as much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom