News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Phroobar

They NEED to play that in the Cantina during Christmas...

Concerning the meetup on Life Day... I expect all to take over the Cantina after the meet up and then all sing this... mugs raised, conga lining around behind Bea Arthur... yes...

See! The Holiday Special wasn't that bad.

Oh wait, yes it was.

Mickeyboof

I truly don’t understand why the decades old simulator ride is getting updated content, but the billion dollar flagship land isn’t.

I know it’s cheaper (there’s my answer) but the Disney Corp really doesn’t understand how to employ synergy in a meaningful way.

Phroobar

I truly don’t understand why the decades old simulator ride is getting updated content, but the billion dollar flagship land isn’t.

I know it’s cheaper (there’s my answer) but the Disney Corp really doesn’t understand how to employ synergy in a meaningful way.
It's called marketing.

Jones14

I think they’re looking to Rise to see how that impacts the land before they green light anything else on Batuu. Meanwhile, Star Tours has gotten updates for each episode movie, so they probably had this one in the budget long before they ran into problems with Galaxy’s Edge.

TP2000

They NEED to play that in the Cantina during Christmas...

Concerning the meetup on Life Day... I expect all to take over the Cantina after the meet up and then all sing this... mugs raised, conga lining around behind Bea Arthur... yes...

Oh my gosh. I have the Holiday Special on DVD, but I don't think I've ever watched it entirely. I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it was this bad.

I think they’re looking to Rise to see how that impacts the land before they green light anything else on Batuu. Meanwhile, Star Tours has gotten updates for each episode movie, so they probably had this one in the budget long before they ran into problems with Galaxy’s Edge.

Bingo. I am on the same page as you. I was thinking about this over in the 2020 Marketing thread, but it's now become apparent this fall that they have no intention of changing course in any meaningful way operationally for Star Wars Land.

Burbank is calling the shots here more than the locals in TDA or Orlando, and the directive from Burbank and Mr. Chapek appears to be don't panic, everything is fine, stay the course. Which only proves to me that the top execs truly have no idea how badly they've bungled this Star Wars Land debut and its daily operating strategy.

brb1006

Oh my gosh. I have the Holiday Special on DVD, but I don't think I've ever watched it entirely. I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it was this bad.

Bingo. I am on the same page as you. I was thinking about this over in the 2020 Marketing thread, but it's now become apparent this fall that they have no intention of changing course in any meaningful way operationally for Star Wars Land.

Burbank is calling the shots here more than the locals in TDA or Orlando, and the directive from Burbank and Mr. Chapek appears to be don't panic, everything is fine, stay the course. Which only proves to me that the top execs truly have no idea how badly they've bungled this Star Wars Land debut and its daily operating strategy.
Interesting that you learned about the holiday special, because SW fans who actually seen it admitted that Bea Arthur's character (Ackmena) to be the best part of the special. Since most of them actually felt genuinely sorry for her. Bea Arthur done this performance for her youngest son, who was a big star wars fan. Ackhmena even got mentioned in two Star Wars book from 2016 and 2017.

TP2000

Interesting that you learned about the holiday special, because SW fans who actually seen it admitted that Bea Arthur's character (Ackmena) to be the best part of the special. Since most of them actually felt genuinely sorry for her. Bea Arthur done this performance for her youngest son, who was a big star wars fan. Ackhmena even got mentioned in two Star Wars book from 2016 and 2017.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Bea fan, ever since Maude. And I'm generally a big fan of 1970's schmaltzy variety shows and TV specials, a format that I wish would come back.

But this just seemed so.... weird. I have decided that this Christmas season I am going to sit down and watch the Holiday Special DVD that I have and try and understand it more.

brb1006

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Bea fan, ever since Maude. And I'm generally a big fan of 1970's schmaltzy variety shows and TV specials, a format that I wish would come back.

But this just seemed so.... weird. I have decided that this Christmas season I am going to sit down and watch the Holiday Special DVD that I have and try and understand it more.
Don't tell George Lucas, he might come by your place and destroy that copy. ;)

fctiger

Either way, this is great news for Star Tours. I'm glad this ride haven't just been abandoned now that GE is open. And it still gets higher waits than SR at times. The ride is still highly popular, especially since the 2.0 additions.

Mickeyboof

It's called marketing.

The position Disney is in, where they can have millions of people actually physically fly the Falcon through an adventure based on the finale of a beloved film franchise is marketing no other company on Earth could even fathom.

Yet it’s being stuffed in the same box they’ve been stuffing it in for years. Galaxy’s Edge was meant to be an evolving storytelling landscape that shifted/ followed the current happenings of the films.

THATS marketing. Not star tours. Not anymore. Maybe last year. But not now.

mickEblu

The position Disney is in, where they can have millions of people actually physically fly the Falcon through an adventure based on the finale of a beloved film franchise is marketing no other company on Earth could even fathom.

Yet it’s being stuffed in the same box they’ve been stuffing it in for years. Galaxy’s Edge was meant to be an evolving storytelling landscape that shifted/ followed the current happenings of the films.

THATS marketing. Not star tours. Not anymore. Maybe last year. But not now.

With Falcon they have to create new missions where guests are able to navigate. Much more difficult than creating a new adventure for Star Tours.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom