The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Only sports-related comment from me tonight...
I don’t see how some of these Astros and Yankees can even run that fast with what looks like about 50 lbs. of crap hangin’ around their necks...!!!!! :hilarious:
I was watching the game, but fell asleep after the Astros got the 3 run homerun. Not because I was upset of course. I want to the Yankees to lose. Just tired. So who won?

MySmallWorldof4

I had parent teacher conferences this week and they went fine, except for one. I had a parent get really mad when I suggested the student make corrections on a few assignments to improve her grade and that it could help her with the content. Well he flew off the handle and was so upset saying it puts too much pressure on her to make corrections, and 50-60% on an assignment is good enough because it was better than what he could do. During the whole time he was ranting all I could think was, "Am I really getting yelled at because I'm offering her an opportunity to improve?" It was ludicrous and I stayed calm even though I wanted to laugh. I think I got through to him that she didn't have to make corrections and that she could if she wanted to, but it still amazes me. I guess he got upset when another female teacher suggested corrections too but didn't get upset when our male math teacher suggested them. There's always something crazy I guess.
Amazing. Some people are ok with just getting by. Guess college is not in her future? Sad for you because then what is the point of your job but to teach and to help a student improve?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
No one is born knowing how to play sports and it is a good thing because then no one would be taking the time to discover cures for illnesses, write books, teach schools, build buildings and so on. I am not a sports fan and I never pushed my children to be part of organized sports, they grew up fine. They chose what to participate in based on their schedule and the schedule of the family that they are part of.

Some kids want and thrive in that kind of competitive atmosphere, some don’t. That’s why there’s so many choices, which is a good thing.

Not every kid is same. Kids thrive in different environments just like adults thrive differently too

What’s funny is we still rode our bikes around the neighborhood, belonged to a swim club, played kick the can, cops and robbers, and ghost in the graveyard with our neighborhood friends. We were out of town a lot, but when we were in town we did our homework as soon as we got home, and then played with our friends until it was time to go to whatever practice/s we had that night.

I think it was a bit easier back then because there wasn’t “play dates” we just rode our bike to someone’s house.
*I’m speaking more for myself here, my sister is several years younger than me.. I know in high school she didn’t have much free time at all between high school soccer and her club teams spring soccer, and gymnastics all over every farm town in the US. I moved away when she was in 7th grade. She was definitely busier than I was in high school.

All very valid points. Although I relate more to @Goofyernmost's analysis, I have to say that both @dryerlintfan and @21stamps pointed out that not every kid is the same. There definitely are kids that love a packed schedule, and lots of competitive challenges. Even if I (personally) can't relate to that, it was appropriate for them to share that observation.

My only complaint is if "some" parents think that they have to keep up with the Joneses and push their kids into too many organized activities, when their kid really might prefer a more laid back childhood, focusing on one sport or skill (music, science club, etc.). And the rest of their time could be used to develop other interests, at their leisure.

In my case, I was in the 2nd (less pressured) group (above). I think back to walking to school in first grade, and my friend and I stopped to watch water flow over rocks in a stream, and a turtle close by. This chance delay in our commute lent me to explore a book on turtles in the children's library at school. Hence, I guess we all learn and develop at our own pace -- whether slower for some, or accelerated for others. Perhaps it's good that we're all individuals.

MySmallWorldof4

Mini Trip Report just because:

Went to Mexico city mid-illness.
Why? Circle du Soleil Crystal was on its way to Russia, last 3 days in Mexico.
Had to be stubborn as hell to get the tickets.
Got tickets pretty close to the rink. This show is not that vertical so the closer the better., specially in on the first elevated areas.

We traveled PVR -> Mexico via cheap airflight using VIVAaerobus. (less than 250 USD with hotel included ).
View attachment 418880

The planes were pretty new, spartan but new.
Very little turbulence. As usual only near Mexico city you get turbulence.

We arrived fairly at Okeish hours..the trip to the airport to downtown in the middle of the week was the issue. SO much traffic!

The hotel was perfectly placed in one of the busiest closed to traffic streets. We had restaurants, places to shops and tons of banks right next to us.
Only issue was.. the hotel was under renovation, most rooms were renovated already but the entire thing was a maze.
You see. This hotel appears to be a single building from outside, but its obvious that they bought multiple different 4 to 6 floor builders on the entire block. And traversing between these is pretty weird...
We somehow ended with a room facing the opposite street.
Another problem? it was pretty spartan building wise as well.
The bathroom for example. Was of that dreaded "express modern" style. Which instead of having a REAL door, it had a swinging opaque glass door. The shower area only had a long curtain which ended being pretty problematic in the end(water would easily sweep towards the rest of the bathroom.

After setting up, changing up we headed out to walk a bit.. and check out the street (which had a few very old churches from the 1600's onward.) as well as finding a place to eat.

One of the nearby Churches's "capilla".

View attachment 418887

View attachment 418886
The wood work and statues when entering the main church body.
View attachment 418885

Note. No, my photo is not "wrong" or skewed. The Church is severely deformed by the sinking of Mexico City. There are some of the pillars nearly 1 meter lower than the others. And yet.. still standing.
View attachment 418884
View attachment 418883
Here is a fine example. I'm sitting CENTERED upright.
The pews slowly leaned to the sides.. with the biggest sinking on the far left side.
This area is pretty big and contained like 3 churches and a older convent.
View attachment 418882
Detail of the main area of the church. They do put a LOT OF DETAIL on these wood, stone and gold frames in the churches of Mexico and Puebla.

And of course.. the famous Palacio de Bellas artes.
View attachment 418881

After walking around. We returned to eat to a local very famous chain of "breakfast, lunch and dinner" called Bisquets de Obregon. Its ALWAYS packed because they do have tasty food at very decent prices. But the best part of them is their bisquets and fresh bread. They are constantly producing bread in every store/restaurant.
That church is amazing! It must be really well built for it to still be standing considering it is now lopsided due to the sinking.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Got tickets pretty close to the rink. This show is not that vertical so the closer the better., specially in on the first elevated areas.

We traveled PVR -> Mexico via cheap airflight using VIVAaerobus. (less than 250 USD with hotel included ).
View attachment 418880

We arrived fairly at Okeish hours..the trip to the airport to downtown in the middle of the week was the issue. SO much traffic!

The hotel was perfectly placed in one of the busiest closed to traffic streets. We had restaurants, places to shops and tons of banks right next to us.
Only issue was.. the hotel was under renovation, most rooms were renovated already but the entire thing was a maze.
You see. This hotel appears to be a single building from outside, but its obvious that they bought multiple different 4 to 6 floor builders on the entire block. And traversing between these is pretty weird...
The bathroom for example. Was of that dreaded "express modern" style. Which instead of having a REAL door, it had a swinging opaque glass door. The shower area only had a long curtain which ended being pretty problematic in the end(water would easily sweep towards the rest of the bathroom.

After setting up, changing up we headed out to walk a bit.. and check out the street (which had a few very old churches from the 1600's onward.) as well as finding a place to eat.

View attachment 418887

View attachment 418886
View attachment 418885

Note. No, my photo is not "wrong" or skewed. The Church is severely deformed by the sinking of Mexico City. There are some of the pillars nearly 1 meter lower than the others. And yet.. still standing.
View attachment 418884
View attachment 418883
The pews slowly leaned to the sides.. with the biggest sinking on the far left side.
View attachment 418882
Detail of the main area of the church. They do put a LOT OF DETAIL on these wood, stone and gold frames in the churches of Mexico and Puebla.

View attachment 418881

After walking around. We returned to eat to a local very famous chain of "breakfast, lunch and dinner" called Bisquets de Obregon. Its ALWAYS packed because they do have tasty food at very decent prices. But the best part of them is their bisquets and fresh bread. They are constantly producing bread in every store/restaurant.

Cesar, that old church is gorgeous!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's a spin off from Star Trek the Next Generation. A show featuring the actor John Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard.

As a side note, hubs wanted to see this back when they were first talking about it (months ago). But he was mad that they would not show it on their regular CBS network, so that all could watch. He said as a protest vote, he refuses to pay for it.

21stamps

View attachment 418880

View attachment 418887

View attachment 418886
View attachment 418885

View attachment 418884
View attachment 418883
View attachment 418882

View attachment 418881

Beautiful!

Rista1313

ugh. You just reminded me, I do still have ESPN+ right now... but no Netflix or Amazon or Hulu.

I wish I could cancel cable.. I’m scared lol. Don’t know why.

It's understandable. It's a totally different way of thinking about how you watch TV. No DVR to record your shows, to remind you. No TV guide, for the first year we were a little lost and forgot about shows that we watched the season before. I finally made a list for awhile. Hulu is a good one to help with that though, you can add shows to a personal favorites and it will show you when there's a new episode on. We pay for Hulu without commercials which is $11.99. It's cheaper if you don't mind commercials, but we decided it was worth the extra $3-4 bucks to negate them from our lives! Hulu Live is much more expensive, in the $40 range. I figure by the time you pay for that, internet, and netflix, you might as well be paying for cable.

We pay for Hulu $11.99, CBS (with commercials) $5.99 and Netflix ($8.99) = 26.97 and $79.99 for internet = $106.96 ... At one point we were paying $150+ for internet and cable... and at the time we decided to cut the cord, we had to cut expenses anywhere we could.

Every once in awhile I think about going back to cable, when they dangle that $99.99 a month special in my face, that includes cable and internet but then I realized that it's only guaranteed for 2 years, and I'll be back to the same old high price later.

That being said... cutting the cord is not for everyone.

If you have an questions, just ask.

StarWarsGirl

Is anyone paying for the CBS All Access Streaming Channel?
I'm not, but I'm curious regarding the PICARD show. Is it good?
I am.

Picard hasn't been released yet. I do like Discovery. I'm really, really excited for Picard.

I like it because you can live stream CBS on your device. I watch a lot of CBS and don't have cable in my room, so this works well for me. It's also nice because I pay for the commercial free plan, so of I miss shows, I can catch up on them without commercials.

But yeah, I pay for it mostly for Star Trek.

StarWarsGirl

hmmm I do, but I haven't watched that... any idea what it's about?

eta... NM... I googled.... not my kind of show!
LiveAthleticClam-max-1mb.gif

93boomer

Premium Member

View attachment 418880

View attachment 418887

View attachment 418886
View attachment 418885

View attachment 418884
View attachment 418883
View attachment 418882

View attachment 418881

Beautiful!! Thanks Cesar for sharing!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom