News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

DisneyDreamerxyz

castmember friend told me that they over-hired anticipating crowds for GE and are now starting to re-distribute overstaffed areas to other parks deeming them not needed in Studios. a bunch are being moved to work the festivals at Epcot instead.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Just got back from my first trip to Galaxy's Edge in Florida. After reading all these posts and watching the construction, it Was great to finally be there. I'm a life long Star Wars fan. For me, just being able to take the picture (attached) was enough for me. I've waiting a long time to see my favorite starfighter of the Star Wars universe realized right in front of me. That and just wandering around the land was enough. Easily my favorite area aside from New Fantasyland.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 116

Sundown

I personally like the idea of a new planet/story in Batuu.

But if Disney thinks a change is needed, I profer the below idea:

1. Make each SW land unique, if only in facade/theming and renaming. Attractions can remain mostly unaffected.(?) Use the more iconic SW planets or at least environments. Hoth (snow), Endor (forest, jungle), Tatooine, Jakku, Batuu (barren, desert), or Corescant, Naboo, Alderaan (civilized developed areas). That gives further incentive to people to try to visit each park's land. Disney could promote travel between th lands. A type of smugglers run between planets.

And continuity is less important, the lands can have both original saga characters and sequel characters appear.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

As someone who just visited GE in September, how anyone could be disappointed with the the theming, architecture, structural design is beyond my comprehension. My family and I were blown away.
That has been the one constant agreement, the land looks great. It was very well done for what it is. The rock work and detail all look fantastic in pictures, so I'm sure I'll be even more impressed in person. @marni1971 has basically said what most have felt. It's not about hating the land and all is terrible. I have found that as you dig into galaxys edge, the vast majority of people have the same root issues. It just doesn't feel "star wars". It's never really been about the overall esthetics of the land. It's more about the heart of it.

socalkdg

Disclaimer; this is my view of the Anaheim version but I was asked to post in both forums.

Its big. As a design the buildings look great. Huge amount of detail. As a land it’s odd. The rise area is almost like it is not part of the land. This isn’t helped by the landscaped berm; it gives the whole area an unfinished feeling. You go from elaborately detailed alleyways to a wasteland with lamp posts.

As I said we found the buildings to be hugely detailed inside and out. We walked around, looked inside and out, walked the market area and yes, it’s a market. No, they didn’t get one dime from us. I felt strangely unaffected by being in Star Wars Land. I had no connection. I was a huge fan as a kid, and still am to a certain degree. Maybe it’s IP fatigue. Maybe it’s because it’s the Disney version and not the “real” version. We were also lucky to be toured by someone from Glendale who worked on the majority of the land and an gained interesting insight into it and it’s details.

The Falcon ride... again, it’a big. Again, I felt disconnected. It’s the Disney version. We wanted to be mentored by Han Solo and have Vader chasing us. Again, detail was everywhere but to what end? We felt the overall experience to be lacklustre. The boarding cards weren’t explained. The plot was confusing (and a Disney plot). I was a pilot and got lucky; other party members were sat further back and complained of the view (or lack of). My biggest gripe aside from plot was the projection system. It’s too dark. On Star Tours anything naturally lit (like a planets surface) is blindingly bright. On this it’s muddling mediocre. It all seemed false, like the projection it is. And I know how it works and how complex the system is, this isn’t just an uninformed comment. Explosions should be blinding and crisp. They just looked like being projected by a worn out projector. Overall I expected more (and Ive said on these boards in the past). The queue was a D. The ride... a D. Just. Which came as a surprise knowing the engineering complexities behind it. We had no desire to ride again, even when the wait time was consistently lower than the parks E tickets.

Overall, it felt like a land trying to please to hard. Not enough to actually do beyond the fluff. Rise will go some way to remedy this (it’s virtually ready; the dates are a corporate decision) but some of the bigger issues run deeper. We ended up visiting the land more to use it as a path from Frontierland to Critter Country more than we did to go in it.
Went yesterday to DL for the second time to GE with my 17 year old daughter. There for Falcon and to try some food. 5th time riding Falcon. I've watched all the movies, been to parks 100's of times. Love Thunder Mountain, Pirates, Mansion, RSR.

I'll start with the negatives for GE. Falcon story is boring. Need to add a few new missions. These missions need to go to some places we have seen in the movies. Land also needs more characters and a few robots. Needs a bit more activity in the whole area. ROTR area is huge, but not much to look at or do. Obviously this could change once the ride opens.

Positives. Love the food options that are completely different then the rest of the park. Daughter was the one that wanted to try some new things. Looking forward to Pandora in January. The detail for GE is also amazing. Used my phone for the first time. Has potential with the App.

Completely disagree about the projection system of the Falcon. To me it looks great. This video from SoCal 360 gives a good example. Much better than Star Tours which I always feel I'm just watching a movie while I felt a part of the action on the Falcon. Just make me care a bit more for the mission and we would be all set. Let me fight an imperial Star Destroyer, run from space monster.

Also disagree about there being bad seats. Pilot is in the front. In the middle you can be a gunner and you never need to take your eyes off the screen, which is easy to see in all directions. Put one finger on the button to fire. Push when you see an enemy. Easy as pie, no need to look at the button. Engineer I looked away twice, but still felt very involved with the whole ride.

To me the whole thing is much more realistic than Star Tours(which by the way had 15 minute line and on a side note Tomorrow Land feels dead, needs an update). Falcon just needs a better story, which should be an easy thing to do.

Lastly, it needs another ride, which it will get very soon. If ROTR (funny story my daughter thought it was Ride of the Resistance - Just love her) is as good as Pirates, the land will be a hit. Your going to be in the middle of a Star Wars story, being shot at, chased, rescued. Everything that the land needs. If they hit a home run with this ride, add some more ambiance to area, and come up with a couple more missions for Falcon, 95% of the paying customers will be happy.

Darth Snips

Disclaimer; this is my view of the Anaheim version but I was asked to post in both forums.

Its big. As a design the buildings look great. Huge amount of detail. As a land it’s odd. The rise area is almost like it is not part of the land. This isn’t helped by the landscaped berm; it gives the whole area an unfinished feeling. You go from elaborately detailed alleyways to a wasteland with lamp posts.

As I said we found the buildings to be hugely detailed inside and out. We walked around, looked inside and out, walked the market area and yes, it’s a market. No, they didn’t get one dime from us. I felt strangely unaffected by being in Star Wars Land. I had no connection. I was a huge fan as a kid, and still am to a certain degree. Maybe it’s IP fatigue. Maybe it’s because it’s the Disney version and not the “real” version. We were also lucky to be toured by someone from Glendale who worked on the majority of the land and an gained interesting insight into it and it’s details.

The Falcon ride... again, it’a big. Again, I felt disconnected. It’s the Disney version. We wanted to be mentored by Han Solo and have Vader chasing us. Again, detail was everywhere but to what end? We felt the overall experience to be lacklustre. The boarding cards weren’t explained. The plot was confusing (and a Disney plot). I was a pilot and got lucky; other party members were sat further back and complained of the view (or lack of). My biggest gripe aside from plot was the projection system. It’s too dark. On Star Tours anything naturally lit (like a planets surface) is blindingly bright. On this it’s muddling mediocre. It all seemed false, like the projection it is. And I know how it works and how complex the system is, this isn’t just an uninformed comment. Explosions should be blinding and crisp. They just looked like being projected by a worn out projector. Overall I expected more (and Ive said on these boards in the past). The queue was a D. The ride... a D. Just. Which came as a surprise knowing the engineering complexities behind it. We had no desire to ride again, even when the wait time was consistently lower than the parks E tickets.

Overall, it felt like a land trying to please to hard. Not enough to actually do beyond the fluff. Rise will go some way to remedy this (it’s virtually ready; the dates are a corporate decision) but some of the bigger issues run deeper. We ended up visiting the land more to use it as a path from Frontierland to Critter Country more than we did to go in it.
What are your feelings on Falcon vs. Star Tours and/or Hyperspace Mountain?

And from what you’ve seen and heard do you think RotR will live up to expectations?

There’s an awful lot more interactivity waiting to be switched on in both lands. Not tested fully but installed.
If it’ll be switched on remains to be seen.
Can you share the reasons behind not switching on these effects? Are they just not ready, or are these more budget cuts?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They've added RotR to the current SW:GE TV spots, including the Kylo's-light-saber-burning-through-the-floor effect.

My personal opinion: RotR will help, but there are other issues with SW:GE that have and will prevent it from being the blockbuster Burbank calculated via spreadsheet thought it would be.

Kman101

At this point GE is a lot like DHS not too long ago. Lots of little details and atmosphere to look at but since there’s only going to be two rides it can only keep you in the land for so long. Hopefully more things get added in time like shows. No lame spinners though.

This.

I love walking through the land. I didn't even ride Smuggler's the first time (honestly? I had little interest, was never my dream to fly the Falcon ...). But the land itself is incredibly detailed and well done. It's basically a love letter to Star Wars fans but they're too stubborn to appreciate it.

There's a significant lack of things to do. In my first run through I never saw any characters or shows going on. I know they exist but you really could "blink and miss them". There needs to be more. Not everyone's going to be shelling out $200 or $100 for an "experience".

Oga's is also a tad overrated and also very small. They really messed up here and they have to know it.

The land's failure or success has absolutely nothing to do with the 'OT' trilogy being present (last I checked all old characters were in the new films, were they not? Does Chewie not walk around? Is R2 not in the droid depot?). It's just Star Wars fans who don't like the new films whining, IMHO. Seeing 20 year old Luke played by a checked out 30 year old isn't going to make the land better.

While it's great to hear the invisible ships in the distance, they need some kinetics in the land that move and interact. The third ride (while maybe not practical from a ride or capacity standpoint) would add another layer of something to see. It really helps Toy Story Land that Slinky is there, and you can watch Swirling Saucers. And the characters are visible meeting and greeting. I don't want set lines for characters in SW Land though.

I also feel like TSL could have done more in terms of immersing you. They really shouldn't have cut the scenes around the coaster. Imagine them coming to life as you zoom by instead of static figures (Rex/Jessie)?

Little things go a long way and it's the little things being cut.

Where's the Cantina band roaming the land playing familiar music? If you don't want background music (which I agree with but I know fans are using that as an example of why it sucks) then do this!

And STOP BUDGET CUTTING. What does it get you, executives? You have to in turn spend MORE money to make up for it. Just ... stop it.

rreading

Thats fine. Really. Although YouTube, and especially SoCals A7 camera, isn’t a good way to demonstrate how it appears to the naked eye.

Burbank hopes you’re right about what happens when Rise opens.

From what has been said, it sure sounds like there is still plenty of potential. To activate interactive elements. To update the Falcon's story line (to make it a more natural fit with legacy SW). I've said it elsewhere, but I still wonder whether Disney is sandbagging somewhat to let the SW hotel shine.

I would imagine that the projection system at DL and WDW will be identical. Is there some hope that the projection could be tweaked? Just turn up the brightness or saturation?

Kman101

They've added RotR to the current SW:GE TV spots, including the Kylo's-light-saber-burning-through-the-floor effect.

My personal opinion: RotR will help, but there are other issues with SW:GE that have and will prevent it from being the blockbuster Burbank calculated thought it would be.

Not being snarky, genuinely wondering what you think they could do that would suddenly make it popular? It's really the SW fandom that seems hardcore against the land. Casuals love it from what I hear but there's a notable lack of things to do that don't require money upfront ... so that's a turn off.

I also think they over-estimated the masses wanting to build $200 lightsabers and $100 droids.

SW fans need to get over that they're "based" on the new trilogy. Why should they have built a ride with 20 year old Luke and Leia? As much as I would love it ... no. This is where we are. And both characters exist in the new trilogy. So I don't agree with that argument fans make.

So just curious what you think ...

Kman101

Falcon after the other two.

I certainly hope so.

What could they have done with the Falcon to make it better? Just curious from your perspective. What would make you say "man I HAVE to ride this" because I sure don't have that feeling of "I HAVE to ride this" ... lol.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not being snarky, genuinely wondering what you think they could do that would suddenly make it popular? It's really the SW fandom that seems hardcore against the land. Casuals love it from what I hear but there's a notable lack of things to do that don't require money upfront ... so that's a turn off.

I also think they over-estimated the masses wanting to build $200 lightsabers and $100 droids.

SW fans need to get over that they're "based" on the new trilogy. Why should they have built a ride with 20 year old Luke and Leia? As much as I would love it ... no. This is where we are. And both characters exist in the new trilogy. So I don't agree with that argument fans make.

So just curious what you think ...

From what I've seen online, the visuals of the land are detailed and stunning. And I need to see it and experience it first-hand before making any definitive statements, but, based off of the pamphlet my wife brought home from her visit last month, not having 12-14 places to spend money vs. 1 currently open ride, with 1 ride coming soon, would be a good place to start.

You have several sentences to that effect, I think we're close to being on the same page here. But I will say I'm not fan of setting something like this in the "Disney SW universe", where there is lip service paid to the OT characters that made the franchise as popular as it is/was. To me, that shows a misguided direction and lack of understanding of the core product and fanbase.

socalkdg

Thats fine. Really. Although YouTube, and especially SoCals A7 camera, isn’t a good way to demonstrate how it appears to the naked eye.
I know. As mentioned, I've been in every seat for the ride. It felt vibrant and real while riding. Just not the most interesting. I believe the system is in place for a great ride, just take me somewhere else occasionally.

socalkdg

What could they have done with the Falcon to make it better? Just curious from your perspective. What would make you say "man I HAVE to ride this" because I sure don't have that feeling of "I HAVE to ride this" ... lol.
Story. Fire on an imperial cruiser, visit Jakku and ride through the ruined ships, have a space monster chase after you. Something a bit more familiar. I'd hope this can still be added in the future. Maybe they are holding back until after the last movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom