Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

smile

We should take these tweets with a grain of salt. It's obvious they have an axe to grind

tenor.gif

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I will say that I hope this system isn’t entirely staffed by college students. They should have some experienced people operating it. For what it is worth - and I don’t know this for a fact - a lot of the operators seemed very young to me. If so this to me is where I have issues with WDW. They take advantage of the college program and have kids running a lot of things at the parks. A system that is new for Disney should not be staffed with college students. I don’t care how great the training program is.

Ageism.

Fairy32

Is there any other system like this that carries as many strollers and wheelchairs? I feel like it might be a big issue at the Rivera Resort. Not sure if that was a cause, but now that there is an issue, it has me wondering since most of these types of systems have usual/experienced riders.

trainplane3

A monorail doesn't have a single point of failure like the Skyliner does. Monorails have on board power and have numerous options for evacuations in timely manners. If 1 monorail goes down, blocking the line, all other monorails can "reverse" to the nearest station. The diesel tow truck can be called in the event of power failure. The monorail line has stairs at set intervals where guests can just walk off. Monorail cabins are all together and can be evacuated without needing to reposition the cherry pickers. Skyliner cabins require coordinating road shutdowns, tow trucks, boats, and a variety of specific evacuation vehicles that can only be used in specific locations throughout the entire line. Oh and don't forget positions where guests have to rappel down a rope to get off. All of this done one by one with resources that all have to be called in.
Unless it's like the other night where the Epcot line broke down right on the switch where the tractor was at. Evacuation still took nearly 2 hours.

Obviously not as bad as this will be but there isn't any perfect transit system. Heck a people mover evac would take a while and that has a walkway next to it.

A bus to DHS broke down at the entrance years ago. Instead of walking us in, we had to wait 45 minutes for a spare bus to pull up, load us onto it, and drive us 5 minutes to a stop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom