Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

hanwill

Is Riviera open at all? Why would the station be open if the hotel is not? I am confused.... help! I hope everyone is ok!

DomVF07

Because when an unknown incident happens.. they want to know why/how and make sure it doesn't impact the other examples. If a bus spontaneously exploded... they'd stop using that model until they figured it out. This isn't necessarily the same as a car accident.

Here obviously this station is unique and not used on the other lines.. but Disney usually errs on the side of caution.
This☝️
Only thing I can think of is mass hysteria. Trying to keep situation calm and under control. Maybe it’s user error and they know it. But still I agree shut it down until cause of accident is resolved concluded and a plan of action is in place for it to not occur again.

Ojo4

Original Poster
Just to give an idea of how the evacuations only get more difficult and take longer and longer as they go on. There are entire roads that have to be shutdown, tow trucks that have to be called in order to move cars out of parking lots to give enough room for the fire engine to deploy its stabilizers, etc.

s8film40

I think in an emergency situation like this it would be very unlikely they could confidently determine the cause and he sure it could not reoccur that quickly.
Also with how new the system is and that it was just installed. In my opinion with a problem like this they should have shut them all down. A few years from now when they have more experience and confidence with the system it would be a different story.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This☝️
Only thing I can think of is mass hysteria. Trying to keep situation calm and under control. Maybe it’s user error and they know it. But still I agree shut it down until cause of accident is resolved concluded and a plan of action is in place for it to not occur again.

Yeah, if it was user error the would likely shut the system down while they develop processes to prevent it from happening again, and the train everyone on those processes.

shernernum

I think in an emergency situation like this it would be very unlikely they could confidently determine the cause and he sure it could not reoccur that quickly.
I’m not saying they don’t need to follow up and be thorough in investigation of the incident. But quite often in accidents the equipment failure or human error that caused it is known almost as it is happening. If, as others have noted may be the case, the uniqueness of this line was involved in what happened and the circumstances that led to the incident could not be duplicated on the other line they could keep it open.

RSoxNo1

Is Riviera open at all? Why would the station be open if the hotel is not? I am confused.... help! I hope everyone is ok!
It's closer access for parts of the Caribbean Beach Resort.

Alison Armor was named president of Walt Disney World transportation in July of 2018. Without knowing the extent of this issue or what caused it, I'm guessing she would be the person to at least speak out about it.

KYmickey

Seeing all of the various stops they've had since he system started, including this 1, makes me wonder if the problem really isn't people who are riding the system, not the system itself! Even though this is the same type of system that is put in at ski resorts, the riders are very different.

At ski resorts the riders ride the lifts multiple times per day many days of the year. I'm sure most of the people riding the Disney system have never written a gondola in their life. In addition the gondolas are being loaded with young children, adults, grandparents, strollers, wheelchairs etc. The much wider range certainly is bound to cause problems. Unfortunately these problems can't be worked out over time because majority of the people visiting don't visit regularly enough to know how to use the system.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’m not saying they don’t need to follow up and be thorough in investigation of the incident. But quite often in accidents the equipment failure or human error that caused it is known almost as it is happening. If, as others have noted may be the case, the uniqueness of this line was involved in what happened and the circumstances that led to the incident could not be duplicated on the other line they could keep it open.

But even if the cause was known by people on the ground, in a company like Disney, it would have to go through a lot of layers of management to get the signoff to continue using the system.

shernernum

But even if the cause was known by people on the ground, in a company like Disney, it would have to go through a lot of layers of management to get the signoff to continue using the system.
All evidence to the contrary tonight if it was still running, someone with authority to make the decision determined it was safe to keep the other line open.

HoldenC

So unsurprising to see the haters of this system crawling out of their parent's basement this evening. I'm very sad to see this happen and I hope they're able to figure out the cause. The Skyliner is the greatest thing to arrive at WDW in the last 5 or so years. If the monorail can bounce back after the death of a CM, this will as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom