Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Mickeyboof

Rescue rehearsals were held this year. Let’s hope they were thorough, and all are evacuated with care.

Does anyone know the timeline on this? Are people still in the air?

What line was this on.

Is the entire system down?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
it will be very interesting to find out what the cause of this was...lack of training? bad programming?

Does anyone know if this has happened at other skyline setups of the same brand before?

Ojo4

Original Poster
Looks like there are already medical emergencies happening, so now evacuations are going to take even longer as they triage high priority cabins. This is going to be a great headline for Disney to wake up to in the morning

scottieRoss

We just exited Hollywood studios and talked to several people who were exiting the gondolas and told us they witnessed the accident. they said they could hear people screaming and yelling on the other side of the line right before the crash. They were clearly shaken and nervous and said they will never ride it again and warned everybody around us not to either.

wait a minute. I think you have been had. If they were on the other side of the line when the crash occurred they would have been in the Riviera station or just exiting it. Then they would be still up in the air waiting to be rescued, not on the CB>DHS line exiting at DHS.. And they said they would never ride it again, but they got on the DHS line. Something does not add up

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Looks like there are already medical emergencies happening, so now evacuations are going to take even longer as they triage high priority cabins. This is going to be a great headline for Disney to wake up to in the morning

really. I don’t care about headlines. I just hope people are okay. And then I’m interested in knowing what caused this.

DarkMetroid567

wait a minute. I think you have been had. If they were on the other side of the line when the crash occurred they would have been in the Riviera station or just exiting it. Then they would be still up in the air waiting to be rescued, not on the CB>DHS line exiting at DHS.. And they said they would never ride it again, but they got on the DHS line. Something does not add up

exactly! to have seen the crash, they would have had to been either waiting in line at the Riviera (which is the least busy station by far), and then have taken a bus from there to DHS.

or, they would have been on the gondola and promptly evacuated....but they still would have had to take the DHS line from Caribbean Beach if they were just getting off the gondola.

neither makes sense

shernernum

Because you have no way of knowing right away if what happened on this line could happen on the others. The safest thing to do is let the other lines run until they are clear and the shut them down.
It’s possible they knew what caused it from the moment it happened and that it was safe to keep runnng the other line. I would guess they at least thought about closing the whole system.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why would they not operate the other lines? When a bus has an accident, do they shut down all of the busses, pull over to the side of the road and kick everyone out?

Because when an unknown incident happens.. they want to know why/how and make sure it doesn't impact the other examples. If a bus spontaneously exploded... they'd stop using that model until they figured it out. This isn't necessarily the same as a car accident.

Here obviously this station is unique and not used on the other lines.. but Disney usually errs on the side of caution.

Ojo4

Original Poster
Why would they not operate the other lines? When a bus has an accident, do they shut down all of the busses, pull over to the side of the road and kick everyone out?

Because you have no idea what caused the crash (even though it was probably improper balancing of weight), but seriously operating other lines without having done a debrief on the crash would be a lawyers dream. If 50% of buses are suddenly disabled then it might be wise to stop putting people on buses until the issue is figured out. It only takes 1 skyliner cabin to shutdown the entire line, also buses are easy to evacuate guests from the side of the road, can you imagine the headlines if Disney had to evacuate the other line while they just started this one? I promise you the resources are already stretched thin and can not handle double the guests to be rescued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom