Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

_caleb

Somewhere, I saw a list of all the little nooks, catwalks, and stages that could be used for actors, AAs, and droids. It'd be nice to see photos of those areas. Have we heard any indication that they're actually adding more of this stuff?

RobWDW1971

Wrong. Nobody likes the fact that there are no wandering characters. I think we can all agree about that. If you had a problem about it being based on the sequels, you've had 4 years to get over it and accept the fact that Darth Vader will not be wandering the land. Just because things may be missing doesn't mean that we can't judge the land for what is there, and in many of our opinions, what is there is great. It will only get better in the future with the opening of RotR and any other entertainment they decide to revive from the budget cuts.

Well, I hope when the masses eventually get to see it they have all been informed in advance so they have "years to get over" not seeing what they would expect to see in a "Star Wars" land and get brochures on the way in of what was cut so they can imagine those things and share your optimism of the future.

Unfortunately, the vast majority will just walk in cold, see the silent abandoned movie set, won't get it, go into a cargo container and eat a wrap*, and walk out and go ride Slinky Dog.

* Edited to add wrap experience ;)

Last edited:

rsm

Yeah, they probably won't even see Chewie, they won't hang out at the bar, they won't eat a delicious wrap, and they wont ride the rides... they will be so disoriented that the stormtrooper helmets look slightly different than in the OT that we'll be lucky if they don't have a mental breakdown before they manage to drag their disheveled, childhood-ruined, soul-robbed carcass back across the threshold to TSL for some real thematic enjoyment :rolleyes: .

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

With the exception of my first visit a day after opening, each time I've seen Rey, Chewie, Stormtroppers, First Order officers, the blue-haired lady, and Kylo. Not just like, a quick glimpse either, they are all very prominent (except Kylo). But remember, none of that matters because at precious Wizarding World, you can meet... the train conductor... and the Knight Bus driver... and no one else. Wizarding World has a handful of live performances though which is what SWGE does desperately need, but let's stop pretending like its swarming with characters and performances.

ImperfectPixie

With the exception of my first visit a day after opening, each time I've seen Rey, Chewie, Stormtroppers, First Order officers, the blue-haired lady, and Kylo. Not just like, a quick glimpse either, they are all very prominent (except Kylo). But remember, none of that matters because at precious Wizarding World, you can meet... the train conductor... and the Knight Bus driver... and no one else. Wizarding World has a handful of live performances though which is what SWGE does desperately need, but let's stop pretending like its swarming with characters and performances.
I wonder if the time of day you're in the land makes a difference as to whether you'll see all the roaming characters or not? I've seen a multitude of varied responses in regards to whether people have seen them and how many.

The Grand Inquisitor

As someone who does not like the sequels besides TFA I actually really like the land. Could it be better? YES! Could it have been based around the OT? YES! But I have no problem with Black Spire Outpost. I still believe Disney should have built a 5th park that would focus just on Star Wars that would feature OT, PT, and ST planets. Disney definitely needs to add things to make the land better. The land has Massive potential to be really good. It still doesn't beat Harry Potter in my opinion.

Tom Morrow

I wonder if the time of day you're in the land makes a difference as to whether you'll see all the roaming characters or not? I've seen a multitude of varied responses in regards to whether people have seen them and how many.
Each time I've gone has been mid to late evening. On my first visit I stayed late. I'm guessing they aren't out or very prominent after dark.

mergatroid

Each time I've gone has been mid to late evening. On my first visit I stayed late. I'm guessing they aren't out or very prominent after dark.

I've seen people with puppet frogs walking around who were quite entertaining and some young ladies dressed as school girls who did a little dance routine which was good. In fairness they were good to watch but for some reason I find adult guests dressed as Potter characters more fun. At HHN the other week we were having a drink in Diagon Alley where they serve drinks near the moving suit of armour and sweet shop. This group of adults came over with their robes on and were swishing their wands (not a euphemism) to make the armour move and having a full on argument as to what the correct words to the spell were. It was so funny that we actually thought they were actors presenting a small comedy routine but discovered they weren't when the female declared she "needed to pee" and went to the rest room leaving the males to continue squabling :D

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I made a suggestion at Oga's Cantina on the Jabba Juice. It's a non-alcoholic drink with boba balls and cubed ice. The ice is dimpled and basically inhibits your ability to consume the boba balls. I suggested the switch it to crushed ice. I doubt the recommendation will go anywhere, but I recommend anyone that orders it, asks for crushed ice instead.

flyerjab

One thing I will say is that if you are building a land this large, you almost have to have free roaming characters and droids - more than they already have. The land is incredibly themed, but it feels empty at times. Dok Ondar’s is great, but due to the amazing AA. When I was walking around the outside, I was like, something is missing. Not enough interactivity, and I know that they are striving for full on realistic immersion, but not having music somewhere in the background kinda stinks. Even in Pandora the one area has music playing.

Overall you have to laud the Imagineers for the theming and scale of everything. But I guess we can thank Chapek for the empty feeling you get at times walking around this expansive addition to DHS.

socalkdg

When you ask them if they actually like the fact there are no wandering aliens, Jedi, droids, bounty hunters, characters from all eras, iconic music, action, stunt shows, light saber fights, professional entertainers vs awkward store clerk improv, etc. you get endlessly entertaining variations of:
They do have Rey, Chewy, Kylo, some storm troopers. They can and should add a few droids and bounty hunters, they do have some Aliens inside, and a couple on the streets would be great. There is some action already, but don't see a stunt show coming soon. I think the cast will improve as they gain experience and I've met a couple that are as good as the standard jungle cruise captain. You find music on the Falcon, and I'm pretty sure ROTR will have even more music, plus action that you crave.

Second, is there a land around that comes anywhere close to having what you are looking for? I know at the DLR there isn't - Carsland has some of what you describe. What about WDW? Does Pandora have this?

Mike S

They do have Rey, Chewy, Kylo, some storm troopers. They can and should add a few droids and bounty hunters, they do have some Aliens inside, and a couple on the streets would be great. There is some action already, but don't see a stunt show coming soon. I think the cast will improve as they gain experience and I've met a couple that are as good as the standard jungle cruise captain. You find music on the Falcon, and I'm pretty sure ROTR will have even more music, plus action that you crave.

Second, is there a land around that comes anywhere close to having what you are looking for? I know at the DLR there isn't - Carsland has some of what you describe. What about WDW? Does Pandora have this?
The point is that what he’s describing is what Disney said would be in the land and it’s not. It’s also very clear the land was designed with all this stuff in mind.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can someone please fill me in on the ramp joke?
There’s a poster on the forum whose primary complaint about the land is that you don’t walk up the Falcon replica’s ramp out front to enter the Falcon ride. They’re very... persistent with this talking point.

Indeed, he wanted the verisimilitude of "really being in the land" to such a degree, that anything that would normally be hand-waved as really being a theme park was, in effect, false advertising (sorry garbage cans everywhere, you're breaking immersion!!).

So, if you couldn't actually go up a ramp into the MF, then you weren't really in a Star Wars Land. That the MF was a replica and the Smuggler's Run ride had the MF flying in on a screen and made it only seem like you're entering it from the docking port, without going up that ramp, WAS A LIE!!!!

And the points about ADA compliance and the low PPH of a MF walk-through, and how the exterior of the MF (even in the movies) was not to scale to the interior shots didn't matter.

And he would not shut up about it.

Steph15251

As someone who does not like the sequels besides TFA I actually really like the land. Could it be better? YES! Could it have been based around the OT? YES! But I have no problem with Black Spire Outpost. I still believe Disney should have built a 5th park that would focus just on Star Wars that would feature OT, PT, and ST planets. Disney definitely needs to add things to make the land better. The land has Massive potential to be really good. It still doesn't beat Harry Potter in my opinion.
Jmo,but not sure a 5th park with just Star Wars would of worked .Then again I am not a Star Wars fan,I just feel the land needs more to do.

socalkdg

I think the real answers for this park and how good it is will come AFTER ROTR is open.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

There’s a poster on the forum whose primary complaint about the land is that you don’t walk up the Falcon replica’s ramp out front to enter the Falcon ride. They’re very... persistent with this talking point.
because it's a great talking about and makes soo much sense. I am that poster. please to meet you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom