News WDW Food and Beverage Price Increases 10/1/2019

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The more I travel, the more I eat in NYC or London, and the more Disney raises its prices for processed, packaged food that it unwraps and pretends is fresh—the more Disney dining feels like a ripoff. Sadly, this gouging just started over the last few years.
The dining plan was a setup for the start...both with hook pricing, reduction of benefits, and ridiculous rise in retail costs of food and bev to make it “valuable”

...I could give a speech...and Indeed I did on other forums circa 2006-2009...
...but I won’t here

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. Greed would be Mobil or BP raising gas prices to $7 a gallon, knowing that people can't live without it. Greed is pharmaceutical companies charging an arm and a leg for life saving medicine.

Disney is just engaging in a questionable pricing practice with their guests to see how much they're willing to pay for a non-essential item. Nobody needs to go to Disney World nor do guests there need to buy a coke (a cup of water is always free). Thats why I hope at some point (and we're obviously starting to see it by way of decreased admission), people start actively voting with their wallets by NOT purchasing any item that has a price that far exceeds it's true market value. I know many folks, even with cast discounts, who have started to decrease their merchandise and food purchases. $4+ for sugar water at a park you've just paid over $100 to enter or $20+a day parking fee at a "deluxe" hotel that you're paying $380+ to stay there just doesn't make a lot of sense..but until people stop purchasing these items or agreeing to such fees, it won't stop.
Indeed...post of the day

Mainahman

It looks like mostly popular snacks and QS desserts and sides have gone up. They haven’t touched drinks (a wise move). The most egregious increase I could find is at Pecos Bill’s - Rice / Beans have gone from $2.99 to $4.49. A 50% increase.
Makes me wonder if i could smuggle a can of beans and a can opener in the park..... LOL

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Apparently they don't understand why they have decreased attendance and are doing the opposite of remedying the situation.

I said it on another thread: a recent conversation with a travel agent regarding what’s coming out of wholesale booking indicates top down the mandate is there will be no price breaks in 2020 even though the numbers are looking terrible.

They see it as a bridge year and are dug in.

So when I tell people to knock off “for the 50th” nonsense...the chickens are coming home to roost. Just feeding the monster and what we should be doing is punching them in the wallet
Call me a cynic---- I guess since they donated a million dollars to the Bahamians for hurricane relief Disney is not going to take out of their profits --make it up by raising prices we the consumers pay
Yeah...price increases are decided upon In a bubble...it has nothing to do with anything other than revenue forecasting

Sonconato

Meanwhile, I also have an annual pass at Sea World and I received this email with quite the dining offer. How could you go wrong with this?! 14 months for $120!
Sea World Dining Offer.JPG

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
as a former Merchandise castmember, I can't tell you how many times someone will ask the price of something, then I tell them and they scoff and say they don't want it or make some remark. and while I agree, it's often rude. I don't set the prices, don't blame me!
Making this a tad personal, aren’t ya??
Considering the price they paid to even get to that point with you (assuming you work in the parks), what did they honestly expect? That the cost was all front-loaded and food/merchandise were going to be dirt cheap? It boggles my mind how many people don't understand how parking fees/admission is not where the profits are generated.
The reactions are a subconscious reaction to the huge AGGREGATE increases...the slow burn over time.

Books should be written about the Iger years - by the way, Igers book is embarrassingly short...he can’t even make his boring life look good in print.

Anyway...the dining plan was a huge red flag that turned out exactly the way I fear. I’ll take that back...actually it’s much worse. I Never thought people would embrace huge upcharges at restaurants and they have fallen for them like a blind roofer.

The increase in standard prices during the Great Recession was the second warning...

The third - “phase ME” - is the cheap factioning off of normal hours and attractions and repackaging them as “exclusive”

It does not take Scotland Yard to follow the trail back to how we got here.

Disorbust

I know many folks, even with cast discounts, who have started to decrease their merchandise and food purchases.

Yup, both my kids with "real" jobs rarely buy anything in the parks anymore. Its sad when they have priced out their own employees.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know many folks, even with cast discounts, who have started to decrease their merchandise and food purchases.

Yup, both my kids with "real" jobs rarely buy anything in the parks anymore. Its sad when they have priced out their own employees.
But they’re still IN the parks

This is the Disney “tale as old as time”...they have never cared that much about employee consumption.

Lilofan

Perhaps a few are waking up to reality and are getting their financial closets in order? Perhaps paying off debt, meeting monthly expenses on time so they don't lose their house, or condo, or car, to the bank? 😉

wannabeBelle

Also I am not sure if anyone has posted this elsewhere the premium Magic Bands that can be ordered are now a bit higher. They started out at $10.00 when that was first released. I am now seeing some for $15.00 and $20.00 as well. There is still one or two that are $10.00 and of course the solid color ones that are free, as a choice though. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom