Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

Lilofan

Prices go up.. S#%¥ happens...When that happens, our family cuts back in other expenses, and when we go on vacation we have the cash to pay for the increased expenses of a Disney vacation. My other neighbor whines like a stray cat in prices that are always going up but he does not want to downsize his life to deal with this matter. Personal choices to move forward.

Chi84

Premium Member
Parks arent full.
They are crowded due to short staffing which creates long lines and gives The illusion of being full to stockholders.
I don't agree with this at all. We have been going to WDW for many years, at least twice a year during the traditionally less busy times, and it seems there are more people in the park each year. I'm not talking about the lines for rides. I mean the number of people walking around, at the restaurants, in the bathrooms, shopping, etc. I don't think this is all an illusion resulting from short staffing.

OneofThree

In my experience the paid extras have greatly improved my trips.
The same way that paid-fast passes at amusement parks have improved my experience.

The bottom line is that we now have to pay a premium for what was once included. If you're happy with that, I'd like to sell you something, anything. 😁

It’s entirely possible to gain profit AND improve guest experience.

Sure. But with WDW, this seems far more the exception than the rule, and when it's the case, it's happenstance. I agree that the motive has always been profit. I also believe that there are multiple paths to profit. I'm not a huge fan of the general path WDW has chosen, personally. Too late to wind it back now, IMO.

Last edited:

OneofThree

I don't agree with this at all. We have been going to WDW for many years, at least twice a year during the traditionally less busy times, and it seems there are more people in the park each year. I'm not talking about the lines for rides. I mean the number of people walking around, at the restaurants, in the bathrooms, shopping, etc. I don't think this is all an illusion resulting from short staffing.

The crowding issues are absolutely not a simple function of staffing. When you can't hardly walk for the sea of people in the common areas of the park, you know it's not about the lines.

21stamps

The bottom line is that we know have to pay a premium for what once included. If you're happy with that, I'd like to sell you something, anything. 😁

Sure. But with WDW, this seems far more the exception than the rule, and when it's the case, it's happenstance. I agree that the motive has always been profit. I also believe that there are multiple paths to profit. I'm not a huge fan of the general path WDW has chosen, personally. Too late to wind it back now, IMO.

On your first point- There has never been a time where I could ride 7DMT over and over and over, without even going back thru the line, UNTIL EMM was offered. It was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had at WDW.
Not one single person can claim that was possible without an additional cost option.

On your second point- It has become more of the rule rather the exception across entertainment venues.. that’s what people ignore. Be angry at societal shifts and customized profit offering trends.. WDW is simply following the demands of their consumers, and the industry.

Incomudro

On your first point- There has never been a time where I could ride 7DMT over and over and over, without even going back thru the line, UNTIL EMM was offered. It was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had at WDW.
Not one single person can claim that was possible without an additional cost option.

On your second point- It has become more of the rule rather the exception across entertainment venues.. that’s what people ignore. Be angry at societal shifts and customized profit offering trends.. WDW is simply following the demands of their consumers, and the industry.

The WDW experience used to be far and above that of other entertainment venues and any societal shifts.
It didn't simply follow demands and industry - it led the way in offering an experience beyond most others.
And that beyond wasn't limited to the physical structures.

21stamps

The WDW experience used to be far and above that of other entertainment venues and any societal shifts.
It didn't simply follow demands and industry - it led the way in offering an experience beyond most others.
And that beyond wasn't limited to the physical structures.

That’s ignoring the bigger picture, and honestly the reality of consumers these days.

I am here saying that I consider all additional offerings that I’ve done- as completely “worth it” and enhancing my trip, greatly.
The ones I’m not interested in- I simply choose not to do, and don’t begrudge anyone who chooses to do them.

I’ve read so many reviews from people who have done the after hours event, they all appear to love it- again, improving their WDW experience.

People can cry over spilled milk, but it doesn’t make much sense. This is where we’re at in today’s entertainment and travel industry, that’s the simple fact.

OneofThree

This was immediately noticeable, and what set WDW apart. It used to be greater than the sum of its parts. Now it's all about maximizing the profit associated with each "part", often at the expense of the whole. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

21stamps

The only reason this is so, is because 7DMT didn't exist back when EMM was both free, and nameless. ;)
Look at it though.,. We did something like 15 rides and had a full sit down breakfast in the park, prior to 10am.. I was able to save all FP choices for rides outside of Fantasyland.

When could anyone achieve that? I don’t remember such a time.

21stamps

I’ll add something here, food for thought..

My kid plays travel soccer, we’ve been at several tournaments where they offer “premium parking” at $10 more per day than regular parking so $10 for regular, $20 for premium, per day. I choose not to pay an extra $30 for that, but I can tell you that premium parking is always full., so many other families do make that choice.

Keep in mind that these tourneys are in huge spaces where the only difference between premium and general admission is you are a little bit closer to the fields, and the main reason people pay it- less traffic/wait when entering. You’re parking on grass instead of gravel.🙄 Basically $30 more dollars to be in a shorter line of cars when entering the venue.

This is who we’ve become as a society, and everyone is (smartly) taking advantage of us.

Last edited:

21stamps

Like I said -there's nothing EMM offers for a premium now that could not have been had at one time for free. I do remember, clearly. Exceptions of course would be holidays and such.

I don’t ever remember such a time. I always remember long waits, from childhood thru adulthood.

OneofThree

I don’t ever remember such a time. I always remember long waits, from childhood thru adulthood.

We first went in 84'. We'd go 4 or 5 times per year, typically within Jan, Feb, Apr, June, July, Aug, Oct, or Nov. If it wasn't summer vacation or a holiday, you could easily tour whatever way you wanted. I wouldn't expect that to have held forever, but we've now reached the end of the gamut where crowds are so ridiculous that they are able to sell space/time away from them.

21stamps

We first went in 84'. We'd go 4 or 5 times per year, typically within Jan, Feb, Apr, June, July, Aug, Oct, or Nov. If it wasn't summer vacation or a holiday, you could easily tour whatever way you wanted. I wouldn't expect that to have held forever, but we've now reached the end of the gamut where crowds are so ridiculous that they are able to sell space/time away from them.

I’ve been going since my first birthday.,annually (sometimes a few trips per year) thru F&W in 2009.. then a break until 2015..obviously I don’t remember the first few years, but never once have I seen Peter Pan as a direct walk on and ride again.
If you have then you are extremely lucky., but I have never been able to do consecutive rides without waiting in line.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
What I take from this whole conversation is the premium offerings and prices increases are acceptable to the crowds of people still visiting WDW. For how long?

People were buying $200 Beanie Babies for a while there. Until they stopped. Obviously not an equal comparison but collective consciousness can turn, exacerbated by economic fluctuations. It can be contagious, it's possible we saw that a bit with the opening of GE.

graphite1326

We go less and also are exclusive to value resorts (We used to go to moderate when we could. Now we can't). Only get dining plan when it is free. Buy alot less souvenirs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom