News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So excited for this ride =) Is it just me, or is this far away from Space Mountain? DO we know what will be in front of this building to "fill in the space" besides concrete? Or is it something obvious like the rerouted MK train =)
It is next to space mountain.

Fox&Hound

It is next to space mountain.

Right, but in the contstruction photos it seems like it is set back so far? I know part of it will be the canopy and part of it will be walkways (obviously), and I know the train tracks have to be added back in, but it seems like there is a lot of space directly behind the barnstormer coaster. It seems like there will be a lot of unused space or is it that old "the room looks larger without any furniture" concept?

lazyboy97o

Right, but in the contstruction photos it seems like it is set back so far? I know part of it will be the canopy and part of it will be walkways (obviously), and I know the train tracks have to be added back in, but it seems like there is a lot of space directly behind the barnstormer coaster. It seems like there will be a lot of unused space or is it that old "the room looks larger without any furniture" concept?

View attachment 412072
Look at an aerial view of Shanghai Disneyland. The canopy is nearly as long as the show building which means it should end up rather close to the Barnstormer.

MrPromey

Don't forget that the Monorail route, the Contemporary Hotel, and TTC used to have toparies.
peppep837781.jpg

us+with+stork+topiaries.jpg

topimono.jpg

topittc.jpg

Here's a web page about it.

Not to further derail this thread but an interesting point is that to see topiaries today, they want you almost exclusively at Epcot's spring edition of Food and Wine.

Not only that but the ones you'll see are the fairly quickly produced ivy over frames stuffed with peat-moss version vs. the actual planted and pruned bush versions that these photos reflect which in some cases, took years to grow.

I totally get how that would seem crazy and impractical to a lot of people who never experienced it but it's the difference between something planted and established and then taken care of which is expected to be a permanent addition and something quickly set up and possibly expected to be chucked or left to die in a field or warehouse before being put back together again a year later.

I know about this because Disney themselves used to proudly talk about and show the difference between the two at Flower and Garden festivals before they pretty much abandoned the long-form approach here in Florida.

I get it, though. The trimmed bush approach only makes sense to invest in if you intend to keep them around and a lot of what they do now kind of pushes the limits of what you'd traditionally think of as a real topiary in order to make them look more like a character.

I think they may still have a few of the originals, spread around property though. Haven't thought to look in a while - did the sea monster make it through the hub redo at MK?

Last edited:

azox

It is j
They did.
TronCoaster-01.png

08_2019_D23._tron-lightcycle.jpg

I like the raised walkway in this new concept art, but a few of the other changes look odd. I liked the idea of having the signage up high under the canopy vs down low like it is shown here. It's also kind weird having a wall along the right hand side of the walkway. (Almost looks like permanent construction walls).

Still exciting for the ride to come, but I felt the first piece of concept art looked better (minus the steps) :)

180º

I would paint this box go-away green rather than blue, at least up until the last ten feet or so. It looks like it should disappear into the trees most of the time, except when viewed from the Contemporary or Monorail when it doesn’t seem to clear the horizon by much. Maybe green on the southern and eastern sides, and blue on the western and northern sides where it can blend into the sky from Fantasyland?

Anyway, this box isn’t turning out quite as bad as I feared.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 412072

Here's the outline of the ride as it exists in Shanghai overlaid from the same angle....

And from a different angle...

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, September 21, 2019. Status of terraced landscaping outside the railroad tracks at the Magic Kingdom. Not sure this is completely finished, there is still some bare ground and construction vehicles. Appears to be just large trees and grass. I was expecting more, perhaps seasonal flowering plants.

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

Last edited:

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, October 5, 2019. During construction of Tron, Disney is taking the opportunity to refurbish some of the WDW railroad tracks, landscaping, and perform some railroad bridge repair. Next time you are waiting at the Magic Kingdom monorail express station, and as you ride the express monorail towards the Grand Floridian, look towards the railroad tracks. Some of the dense vegetation along the tracks has been removed and new smaller plants were planted. In the below photo, taken from the Main Street station towards Adventureland, the vegetation has been cut back, with some new plantings on the left side of the tracks, with new pine straw mulch on both sides of the tracks. This is more visible from the express monorail.

IMG_2412.JPG

Goofywilliam

Photo update as of Saturday, September 21, 2019. Status of terraced landscaping outside the railroad tracks at the Magic Kingdom. Not sure this is completely finished, there is still some bare ground and construction vehicles. Appears to be just large trees and grass. I was expecting more, perhaps seasonal flowering plants.

View attachment 412903

View attachment 412904
My local Shopping Center has more interesting plantings than these. Maybe they are temporary. We can only hope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom