working out for Disney

StarWarsGirl

Good morning...

Taking a much needed work from home day. I am completely exhausted with my thyroid hormone levels having been so off. I probably will end up napping during my lunch break.

I might do some strength training with my hand weights later. We'll see.

HouCuseChickie

It's been really ugly here, and this time, we got some water in the house. I have so many pictures and video, but this should give you a decent idea. The water had actually done down a little when a lot of these pictures were taken. In that last one, the Asiatic Jasmine around that tree was nearly fully submerged shortly before this. Trying to convince my husband to wait to try and drive home. I know he drives a truck, but it's not a massive one and the roads are so bad and impassable in so many spots. Heck, there are high water rescues going on all over the place. It's bad, but we know others got it worse...much worse, so I'm thankful. I'm also so thankful that the schools decided to cancel before this turned into an emergency situation with children and teachers stuck at their schools. You can also see we had not gotten around to fixing our mailbox that was damaged back in May's floods.
IMG_4166.JPGIMG_4168.JPGIMG_4152.JPGIMG_4167.JPGIMG_4161.JPG

Sans Souci

It's been really ugly here, and this time, we got some water in the house. I have so many pictures and video, but this should give you a decent idea. The water had actually done down a little when a lot of these pictures were taken. In that last one, the Asiatic Jasmine around that tree was nearly fully submerged shortly before this. Trying to convince my husband to wait to try and drive home. I know he drives a truck, but it's not a massive one and the roads are so bad and impassable in so many spots. Heck, there are high water rescues going on all over the place. It's bad, but we know others got it worse...much worse, so I'm thankful. I'm also so thankful that the schools decided to cancel before this turned into an emergency situation with children and teachers stuck at their schools. You can also see we had not gotten around to fixing our mailbox that was damaged back in May's floods.
View attachment 412098View attachment 412099View attachment 412100View attachment 412102View attachment 412103

Wow. I hope this storm breaks up and moves on shortly. That's insane. I hope your husband stays put, water can take down even the biggest trucks. How are your dogs doing?

HouCuseChickie

Wow. I hope this storm breaks up and moves on shortly. That's insane. I hope your husband stays put, water can take down even the biggest trucks. How are your dogs doing?

I do too. Water is starting to go down here and the rain is lightening up a bit. It's flooding near my office, so I would have been stuck if I went in too. I have the puppies crated for now. They initially refused to go out, but we have a big hill in part of our backyard. I convinced them to go up there and relieve themselves. Voodoo probably would have stayed out in it to play, but Cookie wants no part of it. Thankfully, they are not afraid of thunder, so we're good with that.

Sans Souci

Personally, I think you're better off not working for American. They make so many stupid decisions. I refuse to fly with them as a result. I think basically any other airline would be better.

I'd like to be based out of PHL, if possible. Two airlines have flight attendant bases out of PHL and that is AA and Frontier. Frontier told me no twice now, so I am done with them. It's too bad, because so many people use Frontier as a starter airline and move up to one of the big three as soon as they can. I am looking to stay in the Philly area and build up seniority. I really don't want to "commute" to another base and live in a crash pad. You sleep in a bedroom with 3-4 bunk beds and you have people coming and going all hours of the night. :hungover: I am the world's worst sleeper and the last thing I need is to hear someone's phone ring at 2 AM for a call out. A lot of them are coed, too. I'm not a prude, but I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping in a room with a man who is not my husband or my brother.

Don't hate me, but both my grandfather and my father were career-long AA employees. I think it would be kind of cool to carry that on. But I totally understand where you're coming from. My husband *really* didn't want me to apply for United, because of that awful melee in Chicago a few years ago. He refuses to fly them.

Good morning...

Taking a much needed work from home day. I am completely exhausted with my thyroid hormone levels having been so off. I probably will end up napping during my lunch break.

I might do some strength training with my hand weights later. We'll see.

How long does it take to get to optimal thyroid levels?

Sans Souci

I do too. Water is starting to go down here and the rain is lightening up a bit. It's flooding near my office, so I would have been stuck if I went in too. I have the puppies crated for now. They initially refused to go out, but we have a big hill in part of our backyard. I convinced them to go up there and relieve themselves. Voodoo probably would have stayed out in it to play, but Cookie wants no part of it. Thankfully, they are not afraid of thunder, so we're good with that.

From what you told us, if either of your dogs would love playing in the rain, it would be Voodoo! :hilarious:

StarWarsGirl

I'd like to be based out of PHL, if possible. Two airlines have flight attendant bases out of PHL and that is AA and Frontier. Frontier told me no twice now, so I am done with them. It's too bad, because so many people use Frontier as a starter airline and move up to one of the big three as soon as they can. I am looking to stay in the Philly area and build up seniority. I really don't want to "commute" to another base and live in a crash pad. You sleep in a bedroom with 3-4 bunk beds and you have people coming and going all hours of the night. :hungover: I am the world's worst sleeper and the last thing I need is to hear someone's phone ring at 2 AM for a call out. A lot of them are coed, too. I'm not a prude, but I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping in a room with a man who is not my husband or my brother.

Don't hate me, but both my grandfather and my father were career-long AA employees. I think it would be kind of cool to carry that on. But I totally understand where you're coming from. My husband *really* didn't want me to apply for United, because of that awful melee in Chicago a few years ago. He refuses to fly them.

American used to be a good company. Now, it just seems like they're stuck in the past, refusing to change, and have horrible customer service. I won't fly them because they roast almonds in first class, and I'm allergic to nuts. Unlike Southwest, who would stop serving peanuts when you reported an allergy (and who nixed the peanuts altogether recently) they don't stop. So I don't even check them when I flying. No sense taking the risk.

What about nearby airports? Like Harrisburg (not sure how far that is from you)? BWI would be a hike, but Southwest has a hub there.

I've been back and forth on United. I've only ever flown them to Hawaii. When I went in June, they were good. They run a non-stop out of Dulles to Honolulu, so I took that one and then went back through Denver. Everyone based out of DC was extremely friendly and helpful. It was a very nice staff on the plane to Honolulu. I was more iffy about the Denver-based crew, but they were fine. Then the flight from Denver to Dulles had another DC based crew, also very friendly. Gotta say, I hate everything about Dulles except for the staff. Even their TSA agents were the nicest agents I've ever met.

How long does it take to get to optimal thyroid levels?
After they raise the dosage, it takes about two weeks to start feeling better. After the surgery (mine was February) it can take a year to get the dosage right. So I'll be fine for a while and then all the sudden I can feel my hormone levels swinging.

I think if the blood work doesn't come back good that I'm going to ask them for another medication. Basically, what I take is T4 hormone, and there's another one that's a combination of T4 and T3. I think I probably need to be on that one. So if this doesn't work, that's what I'm asking for next.

HouCuseChickie

Seriously...someone decided to try and turn around in our driveway when they saw that the water was high. it's gone down quite a bit and they probably would have been OK if they stayed in the center of the road. The driveway is really deep at the bottom. Worst possible decision! I have nowhere to go and yet I feel very trapped...as if being trapped by floodwater wasn't bad enough. stall 2.jpgstall.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Seriously...someone decided to try and turn around in our driveway when they saw that the water was high. it's gone down quite a bit and they probably would have been OK if they stayed in the center of the road. The driveway is really deep at the bottom. Worst possible decision! I have nowhere to go and yet I feel very trapped...as if being trapped by floodwater wasn't bad enough. View attachment 412129View attachment 412130

All that water sounds dreadful. Sorry to hear about all this.

Sans Souci

American used to be a good company. Now, it just seems like they're stuck in the past, refusing to change, and have horrible customer service. I won't fly them because they roast almonds in first class, and I'm allergic to nuts. Unlike Southwest, who would stop serving peanuts when you reported an allergy (and who nixed the peanuts altogether recently) they don't stop. So I don't even check them when I flying. No sense taking the risk.

What about nearby airports? Like Harrisburg (not sure how far that is from you)? BWI would be a hike, but Southwest has a hub there.

I've been back and forth on United. I've only ever flown them to Hawaii. When I went in June, they were good. They run a non-stop out of Dulles to Honolulu, so I took that one and then went back through Denver. Everyone based out of DC was extremely friendly and helpful. It was a very nice staff on the plane to Honolulu. I was more iffy about the Denver-based crew, but they were fine. Then the flight from Denver to Dulles had another DC based crew, also very friendly. Gotta say, I hate everything about Dulles except for the staff. Even their TSA agents were the nicest agents I've ever met.

After they raise the dosage, it takes about two weeks to start feeling better. After the surgery (mine was February) it can take a year to get the dosage right. So I'll be fine for a while and then all the sudden I can feel my hormone levels swinging.

I think if the blood work doesn't come back good that I'm going to ask them for another medication. Basically, what I take is T4 hormone, and there's another one that's a combination of T4 and T3. I think I probably need to be on that one. So if this doesn't work, that's what I'm asking for next.

We had some issues with American last summer. We bought three premium economy seats on a flight to Manchester, England to visit my MIL. Twenty four hours before our flight, I went to check us in and it wouldn't let us. It was an AA flight, but my husband bought them through British Airways with a small amount points and the remainder was cash. He called BA, who didn't know what happened. So BA called AA and went back and forth. BA told us our seats didn't exist on this flight because the aircraft didn't have premium economy cabin. Then they put him through to AA, who told my husband that they tried to contact him (spoiler alert: my husband had no evidence of this. He went though emails, voice mails, etc). They kindly informed my husband that they could accommodate us for an additional$25 each in Main Cabin. My husband asked about a refund in the difference for what he paid and she said she didn't think that was possible. He lost it, because he paid just over $300 more pp for P/E seats. He called BA back and told them what happened and they put us in premium economy on a flight to London, where we had to change planes. When we got to my MIL's house, my husband tapped about a fiery email and we each got a voucher for the difference in Main Cabin and P/E and a little more. So, I totally agree with you on the C/S front.

As far as flight attendant bases, the closest ones to me (outside of PHL) are La Guardia, JFK, Newark, BWI, National/Dulles. Those are all a haul for me and you usually get 2-3 hours notice, depending on the airline.

The warmed nuts are AA's ~signature item~ in Biz and 1st. :rolleyes: They make such a big deal about it, too. "Would like some of our signature warmed nuts?" They're just nuts, you know? :hilarious: I just think they could come up with a different "premium" item that doesn't prevent people from flying them. But you know there's going to be some person with 100 million super duper triple platinum points who will complain, so they just keep the ~warmed nuts~ to keep him happy.

I hope your thyroid issue gets sorted quickly. It sounds frustrating to feel so exhausted all the time and to have to wait for your meds to kick in to feel better.

Sans Souci

Seriously...someone decided to try and turn around in our driveway when they saw that the water was high. it's gone down quite a bit and they probably would have been OK if they stayed in the center of the road. The driveway is really deep at the bottom. Worst possible decision! I have nowhere to go and yet I feel very trapped...as if being trapped by floodwater wasn't bad enough. View attachment 412129View attachment 412130

I hope you guys are all OK. Did your husband make it home last night? It sounds like it's similar to Harvey from I have been reading.

I was reading a news story about this yesterday and they showed tweets from various local law enforcement agencies telling people to stay put. I thought that would make me feel trapped. I can kind of understand, because we had a really bad blizzard in 2010. It hobbled the city and suburbs for days afterwards. Even after the blizzard passes, you're still stuck in the house.

Sans Souci

Good morning--

I revisited another work out I haven't done in about 3 years today. It was 90 min, but I thought there might be a cut off at 45-60 minutes in. I was wrong. I had only done this work out once and now I remember why. There is no good cut off point. She does one leg for 45 min then the other for 45. 😖 I am going to put a post it note on this DVD, "Don't do this unless you want to be bored for 90 minutes." 😂

OK, I feel there is an influx of obnoxious posters here (not this thread, the board in general). This person launches attacks on people who say anything negative about WDW. I feel like this person is trying to backseat moderate this board. Is it necessary to belittle someone who says something negative about WDW? I don't care when people hold different opinions, I care when people need to demean someone for expressing a different opinion. This is a hypothetical situation, but if you think it's great to spend $150 on a desert party, go for it. I personally think it's a rip off, but someone else might think it's a good value. But don't attack someone because they feel it's a rip off. This person is asserting this negativity is "damaging the community." It's just an oblique maneuver to squelch criticism about WDW. I almost feel like this person was sent here to change the narrative and to have this board fall in line with other boards that don't allow dissenting opinions about WDW. There is just been a lot of new accounts with people complaining how negative this board is. If you came from from the Dis, then I can see that. But it's just a forum where people can express themselves without a cadre of self-appointed moderators belittling you because you didn't like the blue milk or whatever.

epcotisbest

Good morning--

I revisited another work out I haven't done in about 3 years today. It was 90 min, but I thought there might be a cut off at 45-60 minutes in. I was wrong. I had only done this work out once and now I remember why. There is no good cut off point. She does one leg for 45 min then the other for 45. 😖 I am going to put a post it note on this DVD, "Don't do this unless you want to be bored for 90 minutes." 😂

OK, I feel there is an influx of obnoxious posters here (not this thread, the board in general). This person launches attacks on people who say anything negative about WDW. I feel like this person is trying to backseat moderate this board. Is it necessary to belittle someone who says something negative about WDW? I don't care when people hold different opinions, I care when people need to demean someone for expressing a different opinion. This is a hypothetical situation, but if you think it's great to spend $150 on a desert party, go for it. I personally think it's a rip off, but someone else might think it's a good value. But don't attack someone because they feel it's a rip off. This person is asserting this negativity is "damaging the community." It's just an oblique maneuver to squelch criticism about WDW. I almost feel like this person was sent here to change the narrative and to have this board fall in line with other boards that don't allow dissenting opinions about WDW. There is just been a lot of new accounts with people complaining how negative this board is. If you came from from the Dis, then I can see that. But it's just a forum where people can express themselves without a cadre of self-appointed moderators belittling you because you didn't like the blue milk or whatever.

I just put people like that on my ignore list. Easy to do and then you don't have to read their crap. I just checked and my ignore list consists of 19 so far. Some of them have not been active in awhile, but most are active and actively negative or have bad attitudes that I would never tolerate face to face, and I don't tolerate it here, just ignore.

StarWarsGirl

Good morning--

I gotta say, there are extremes on both sides. There's people who think Disney can do no wrong and then there's people who think Disney can do no right and make me question why they're even on a Disney board. I've gotten called a "Disney Apologist" because I've disagreed with negative opinions. I'm not the type to think Disney is correct 100% of the time, but I'm also the type who thinks critically and decides hey, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea and we don't need to complain or hey, maybe this was terrible. I feel like this board goes through cycles, like where you'll see a lot of negative posts, and then a lot of positive posts, then people get bored and randomly bump the Unmagical Day thread, and then it goes back to being negative.

Like @epcotisbest , I just put people on ignore. Not so much ones I disagree with, but more ones who can't politely disagree.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good morning--

It's a "public" forum. That means all types of personalities are members. (Some we like, some we don't!) I don't bother with the ignore button. There have been instances where a particular member might be out of line in one discussion; but then in another discussion, may show some patience and empathy toward others.

What I tend to notice more is if an individual has a specific negative "pattern" that keeps repeating. That determines whether I bypass future posts from them.

HouCuseChickie

All that water sounds dreadful. Sorry to hear about all this.

At first, I thought he was affiliated with a dad and three kids that I saw in the middle of the street. I started talking to them, only to find out that they are neighbors I just haven't met. Considering all of the snakes and fire ants...not to mention the infectious nastiness...I would never let my kids play in floodwater. As for the guy in the car, I went out to talk to him. Poor thing was on his way to the hospital to see his daughter. The water was still too high for him to get out...i.e. opening the door would let it all in to the cabin. I offered him food/drinks, but he had stuff with him. He was eventually able to get some friends to drive in and help him when the water went down. They pushed his car to the curb in front of our house and I gave him some of the pieces of his car that must have fallen off when he nailed the concealed curb and storm drain the deep water. They came back a little while later and it looks like they were able to get the car running. And I made my escape and went to the insanely overcrowded grocery store!

HouCuseChickie

I hope you guys are all OK. Did your husband make it home last night? It sounds like it's similar to Harvey from I have been reading.

I was reading a news story about this yesterday and they showed tweets from various local law enforcement agencies telling people to stay put. I thought that would make me feel trapped. I can kind of understand, because we had a really bad blizzard in 2010. It hobbled the city and suburbs for days afterwards. Even after the blizzard passes, you're still stuck in the house.

My husband did make it home...much earlier than I expected...but he went into a couple of areas that he probably shouldn't have. He said that the water went over his hood a couple of times. At least it all worked out OK.

There were similarities and differences when it came to Harvey vs. Imelda. For one, we didn't flood in Harvey. In fact, our streets never had high water, even though our suburban town was on of the hardest hit during Harvey. Our town flooded in Harvey because a dam to our north released an absurd amount of water. That water flowed down the river and created river based flood areas that had never seen flooding before...nor to this extreme, but we're far enough north that we saw nothing of that high water. Some old family friends live in our town and they had something like 9' of water in their house from Harvey. They did not flood yesterday...although, their home was hit by lightning in Imelda (supposedly OK).

The biggest thing with Harvey was the trapped feeling. Yes, we felt trapped yesterday, but there were ways around it (in many cases) if you knew where to go or didn't drive right into a bad situation without doing your route research first. Roads that were impassable also cleared up much faster with Imelda. With Harvey, I think it was close to two weeks before I could get into Houston because of the flooding and damage. Harvey was also night after night of bad storms. It wasn't so bad during the day, but that tropical stuff can really intensify at night. I consumed A LOT of wine to get me through Harvey. Honestly, one of the scariest things was with my husband's grandmother. She turned 100 that summer, was living in an apartment in an area that flooded, she was too small and frail for the National Guard to rescue her, so they had to have her wait a couple more hours in the flood waters for a special ambulance to get into that area. Once they got her, they took her to a hospital in the Houston med center, but there was nothing really wrong with her, so they couldn't admit her to a room. The staff tried to keep her comfortable overnight in a chair in the lobby, but in the morning, she was taken to the massive shelter at the big convention center in downtown. It was at least another 2 days before the roads cleared enough for any family/friends to be able to get to her...and another two or so after that before they could get her to my MIL.

HouCuseChickie

Normalcy is what seems to keep us all sane...so I'm trying to keep some of that in my life right now. My boss and his boss advised me to take the day off to get things in order with my house. We still have a long road ahead with insurance and repairs, but it's nice to have the time to do this preliminary stuff. I started off my day with a run and then a cross training workout. Everyone was up by the time I was done, so I worked with hubby on a shopping list from Lowes for supplies. While he was out, I started uploading all of my pictures and labeling them, as well as getting my video footage in order...since this will all be needed for insurance. After getting a razor that was a piece of junk and having to make a second trip to Lowes, we pulled up the carpeting and ripped out all of the wet padding. I then bleached the slab. After that, we got some of the nasty wet stuff out of the garage and took those to the curb as well. After that, it was vacuuming up all of the leafy and yard type debris in the house and mopping the floors. I got down on hands and knees and used wipes to get some of the edges and entry points where I saw water come in. I just finished organizing pics, so I think I'm done for the day. And all of the towels we used yesterday to soak up water coming in are already clean, folded and put away.

If you care to see all of the pics...this is the album.

A couple of them are hard for me to look at.

I have something like 13 videos, but I won't share them all. I haven't really listened to them since the noises of it kind of stress me out. I recall being fairly quiet, but if I say anything bad...I'm sorry. I was in panic mode and my potty mouth may have surfaced in some of it. I think the water has started to recede in the second video. The sky is lighter and I think the water is a smidge lower on the mailbox and fire hydrant, leading me to believe that we're on the lightening up side by this point.

I appreciate everyone's kind words and concern. My husband, like usual, thinks I was in crazy-lady panic mode, but it's also different when you're the one inside the house taking on water vs. in your dry office building. Hearing the Houston mayor say our little village name when he was acknowledging areas he knew to have floodwater inside homes also freaked me out...since the rain hadn't tapered and the water was still rising at this point. Either way, we're all safe, and after driving around a bit...I know we were still luckier than many. I saw a family a few blocks over that had several rooms worth of furniture at the curb, all kinds of flooring, and if she's the lady I spoke to online...no flood insurance either. So, it could always be worse.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Normalcy is what seems to keep us all sane...so I'm trying to keep some of that in my life right now. My boss and his boss advised me to take the day off to get things in order with my house. We still have a long road ahead with insurance and repairs, but it's nice to have the time to do this preliminary stuff. I started off my day with a run and then a cross training workout. Everyone was up by the time I was done, so I worked with hubby on a shopping list from Lowes for supplies. While he was out, I started uploading all of my pictures and labeling them, as well as getting my video footage in order...since this will all be needed for insurance. After getting a razor that was a piece of junk and having to make a second trip to Lowes, we pulled up the carpeting and ripped out all of the wet padding. I then bleached the slab. After that, we got some of the nasty wet stuff out of the garage and took those to the curb as well. After that, it was vacuuming up all of the leafy and yard type debris in the house and mopping the floors. I got down on hands and knees and used wipes to get some of the edges and entry points where I saw water come in. I just finished organizing pics, so I think I'm done for the day. And all of the towels we used yesterday to soak up water coming in are already clean, folded and put away.

If you care to see all of the pics...this is the album.

A couple of them are hard for me to look at.

I have something like 13 videos, but I won't share them all. I haven't really listened to them since the noises of it kind of stress me out. I recall being fairly quiet, but if I say anything bad...I'm sorry. I was in panic mode and my potty mouth may have surfaced in some of it. I think the water has started to recede in the second video. The sky is lighter and I think the water is a smidge lower on the mailbox and fire hydrant, leading me to believe that we're on the lightening up side by this point.

I appreciate everyone's kind words and concern. My husband, like usual, thinks I was in crazy-lady panic mode, but it's also different when you're the one inside the house taking on water vs. in your dry office building. Hearing the Houston mayor say our little village name when he was acknowledging areas he knew to have floodwater inside homes also freaked me out...since the rain hadn't tapered and the water was still rising at this point. Either way, we're all safe, and after driving around a bit...I know we were still luckier than many. I saw a family a few blocks over that had several rooms worth of furniture at the curb, all kinds of flooring, and if she's the lady I spoke to online...no flood insurance either. So, it could always be worse.

My goodness, that all sounds like a dreadful experience. At least you're all o.k. though. But I can only imagine dealing with the cleanup for some time to come. Sorry to hear that you and your family experienced this awful rain storm. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom