The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Saturday is predicted to be cloudy.....high of 79F.....just a 10% chance of rain
You asked me a question and I gave you a website....a Youtube Video...and the Weather Channel Forecast for Hamilton NJ
Hopefully you feel spoiled and well taken care of! 😂😂😂
Very spoilt indeed! We're going a week from Saturday and it looks like I've been invited to cook dinner and in return I get a day out and all the wine I can drink:angelic:

21stamps

In the 80’s, New York public schools rarely ever closed. There was a snow storm back in April ‘83. We got like 2 feet of snow. Schools were open. I only lived across the street , so I walked across, and then whichever teachers were there brought us to the auditorium. Not enough teachers showed up because most lived in Nassau County. The roads were a mess. We stayed for a couple of hours in the auditorium and were then sent home. I remember this incident because during this snowstorm, my stepdads brand new Honda Accord had its radio stolen. Anyone remember the days where you could install removable radios for cars? He ended up getting one after that.
In terms of heat, I cannot remember temperatures from when I was a kid. I do remember our teachers letting us go to the sinks that were in our room and running our hands under the water to cool off.
We never got out of school for heat either. I recall there would always be days in June when we'd sit there and sweat buckets. Miserable learning environment -- I guess they figured that the Northeast didn't have too many really hot days toward the end of the school season.

The schools I attended did not have bus service, so I remember being upset that we were always one of the few schools open during “snow days”.lol.
We had a couple of snow days, but not many.

I don’t remember ever being off school for heat. We started after Labor Day when I was young though. Kiddo starts the last week of August, last day of school is end of May..but even so, there’s not too many extremely hot days during that timeframe.

Today and tomorrow are both supposed to hit 92 with high humidity. It’s 88 right now.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Hmmm our band class was 1st period, and our teacher didn't have to schedule around anything.... So strange that you do... But then again... what did my band teacher do the rest of the day?!? hmmmm I dunno... but he was the best... still is... Just retired.. and he didn't want to, but had issues with his eyes that made it so he just couldn't anymore. He was 23 when he started, and heck.. not much older than the rest of us... so we all kind of grew up together.. and we watched him have a family, and then he taught our kids too. (not mine, I don't have any!) Can you tell I am fond of him?

This sounds similar to my band experience. We had band 1st hour too and then our band teacher had lessons scheduled the rest of the day. He was great though. My lessons were scheduled during study hall so my friends and I would go into the band room that hour even if we didn't have a lesson and practice for a bit then we were allowed to sit in his office and listen to his cd's and we would work on our homework. He had a fantastic music collection.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Our public school teachers actually are paid on average more than private school here.

There's no way I'd be paying to send my (theoretical) children to an unairconditioned school. As someone who went to one of those, it's miserable.

They're actually looking at rebuilding B's school on existing athletic fields. It's in such bad shape including the lack of AC. I was so unhealthy when I went there. Went to college, where the buildings were actually older but better maintained with AC. It was like flipping a switch.

Yep, un-air conditioned school building are not great. Our outside temperatures haven't been too bad, in the low 70's and high 60's , but our classrooms are so hot. It has me looking forward to winter. 🤪 Oh and next week the temps will be in the mid 80's, not looking forward to being my classroom with that.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don’t remember having any ac in schools, except the computer rooms. We had windows. We never were given a day off because it was hot either. Public school in NY. I have a friend on Long Island who is a high school English teacher. Her salary is over $125k a year. That isn’t including benefits.

Geez, I should move to NY, that is a lot more than I make! Although the cost on living on Long Island might be more than my area.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Heading out in a while to attend an artists' group (and guest artist presentation) this evening. This group has some very accomplished and professional artists and sculptors, and I am way out of that league. :jawdrop:

But my art teacher (you may recall I had a few free lessons with him, at the community center in August), invited me to be his guest. I didn't want to be rude and turn him down. (I figure I'll get there a few minutes before the presentation, so that I can quietly slip in the back of the room, unnoticed.) After the presentation and before the evening is over, I'll go talk to my art teacher. (I'm just avoiding being introduced to a bunch of people, who will be asking me about "my work". Don't want to tell them I didn't get beyond stick figures! :p :hilarious:

Have fun, it sounds like an interesting evening. Don't worry about being out of your league, you seem very well versed on many subjects. :)

MySmallWorldof4

Geez, I should move to NY, that is a lot more than I make! Although the cost on living on Long Island might be more than my area.
Oh yeah. She paid 600k for a 2500 square foot colonial on a 50 x 100 lot. It was also 50 years old and needed reno. The taxes are at least 10-15k a year. Where my stepdad’s friend lives the taxes on his ranch house (about 1500 square feet) is 20k. Too expensive to live out there.

Rista1313

This sounds similar to my band experience. We had band 1st hour too and then our band teacher had lessons scheduled the rest of the day. He was great though. My lessons were scheduled during study hall so my friends and I would go into the band room that hour even if we didn't have a lesson and practice for a bit then we were allowed to sit in his office and listen to his cd's and we would work on our homework. He had a fantastic music collection.

Are you sure we didn't have the same band director? LOL We were forever hanging out in the band room and Mr. H's office... occasionally he kicked us out if he got grumpy..which was rare.

MySmallWorldof4

Are you sure we didn't have the same band director? LOL We were forever hanging out in the band room and Mr. H's office... occasionally he kicked us out if he got grumpy..which was rare.
You guys hung out in the band room, and I hung out in the science department area. It was a nice set up. All the classes for science were set off a huge lab prep area and teacher offices. The prep area was in the center and there was a door to each class and each lab. Anyway, me and a couple of friends would hang out there and help out the lady who set up the labs. We would make the agar, pour it in petri dishes, etc. It was more fun then eating in the cafeteria.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom