The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Ugh Mac.

We used Macs during like first and second grade, then we got Dells. Then I used the older ones a little bit in middle school.

Sat down in front of one in college and tried to use it. After twenty minutes I switched the the PC, even though the Mac was nicer. Just could not get used to the operating system, where everything was...my brain is configured for Windows apparently. At work we use Windows; at home we have PCs...nope to the Macs. Nope nope. iPhones I can find my way around and find random settings. Not Macs. Not at all.
Going almost 30 year back in time, my university had a computer lab. No one really had their own computer at school. I had a Tandy 1000 at home, but since I lived away, I used the computer lab, as did most other students. There were at least a hundred computers in there with printers available to print reports. The computers were mostly Apple Macintosh computers. I loved using them. Loved the hourglass showing you it was working. It was so much easier to use than the IBM's. They had IBM compatible ones that I guess were for the engineering students?

MySmallWorldof4

I knew someone that was supposed to go to work that day at the Port Authority in the towers. She wasn't feeling well so stayed home. My Obgyn at the time had a pregnant patient whose husband worked on the top floor. He was not supposed to go in that day, but decided to. It made me so sad. We lived in Central Jersey at the time, and so many people were affected by this. :(

SteveBrickNJ

Thank you! Hope you're having a great school day!
I am feeling upbeat because today is my last day fully devoted to scheduling. Currently I have placed 68 students on a band schedule that avoids:
PE, Music, World Language, Art, DARE, Lunch and Recess.
Some students receive extra services such as Speech, Extra help in Math, Extra help in Literacy. I have to avoid those as well.
There are a ton of things for me to consider.....but I'm ready to actually teach children to play their instruments starting TOMORROW! :cool::):happy:😀

Last edited:

Rista1313

Hmmm our band class was 1st period, and our teacher didn't have to schedule around anything.... So strange that you do... But then again... what did my band teacher do the rest of the day?!? hmmmm I dunno... but he was the best... still is... Just retired.. and he didn't want to, but had issues with his eyes that made it so he just couldn't anymore. He was 23 when he started, and heck.. not much older than the rest of us... so we all kind of grew up together.. and we watched him have a family, and then he taught our kids too. (not mine, I don't have any!) Can you tell I am fond of him?

21stamps

No AC at a private school?

What the heck are they spending all the money you give them on?
Stock prices for Investors, and that private plane of the director/Dean.

We don’t get taxpayer money, state or federal, for anything.

Our tuition does not cover extras like that. That’s what fundraising and boosters are for. The problem with the ac is that the building is so old that apparently it would be a huge undertaking and expense.

This month is a big fundraiser for us, our walk/run. The best thing about it is 100% of the money comes back to the school, no vendors involved. The goal is for every student to get a minimum pledge of $150. If we hit it, they get a day off. Last year the PTO (almost all of us moms) donated water filling stations if we are hit our goal in addition to a day off.. we did and we did.
Not sure what we’ll add this year, but I know it won’t be ac!

One thing I’ll give a ton a credit to is that what I’ve seen in private schools is that they utilize their payroll wisely. Yes, that means more work for the employees, but imo it’s better than the wastefulness of public schools. Too much of the money for education is being sucked up by admin positions. This is a problem in America, imo.

StarWarsGirl

We don’t get taxpayer money, state or federal, for anything.

Our tuition does not cover extras like that. That’s what fundraising and boosters are for. The problem with the ac is that the building is so old that apparently it would be a huge undertaking and expense.

This month is a big fundraiser for us, our walk/run. The best thing about it is 100% of the money comes back to the school, no vendors involved. The goal is for every student to get a minimum pledge of $150. If we hit it, they get a day off. Last year the PTO (almost all of us moms) donated water filling stations if we are hit our goal in addition to a day off.. we did and we did.
Not sure what we’ll add this year, but I know it won’t be ac!

One thing I’ll give a ton a credit to is that what I’ve seen in private schools is that they utilize their payroll wisely. Yes, that means more work for the employees, but imo it’s better than the wastefulness of public schools. Too much of the money for education is being sucked up by admin positions. This is a problem in America, imo.
Our public school teachers actually are paid on average more than private school here.

There's no way I'd be paying to send my (theoretical) children to an unairconditioned school. As someone who went to one of those, it's miserable.

They're actually looking at rebuilding B's school on existing athletic fields. It's in such bad shape including the lack of AC. I was so unhealthy when I went there. Went to college, where the buildings were actually older but better maintained with AC. It was like flipping a switch.

MySmallWorldof4

Our public school teachers actually are paid on average more than private school here.

There's no way I'd be paying to send my (theoretical) children to an unairconditioned school. As someone who went to one of those, it's miserable.

They're actually looking at rebuilding B's school on existing athletic fields. It's in such bad shape including the lack of AC. I was so unhealthy when I went there. Went to college, where the buildings were actually older but better maintained with AC. It was like flipping a switch.
I don’t remember having any ac in schools, except the computer rooms. We had windows. We never were given a day off because it was hot either. Public school in NY. I have a friend on Long Island who is a high school English teacher. Her salary is over $125k a year. That isn’t including benefits.

StarWarsGirl

I don’t remember having any ac in schools, except the computer rooms. We had windows. We never were given a day off because it was hot either. Public school in NY. I have a friend on Long Island who is a high school English teacher. Her salary is over $125k a year. That isn’t including benefits.
New York also doesn't randomly go up to 97 degrees in September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom