Something original maybe ?

Astro_Digital

Original Poster
People time after time keep saying ..... oh this movie made a billion dollars.
The Disney Corporation needs to build an attraction, and often the term "dark ride" is used.

Here is an idea with anybody is left with any type of creativity or imagination in "Imagineering" why not do something completely original that has nothing to do with a Disney, Pixar, Lucas, or Fox film ?

Pick a theme, think of something you personally believe it, think of a way to develop an attraction.

They used to be creative an the results are unique and memorable
Small World, Haunted House, Pirates of the Caribbean .... but they gave up.

I doubt anybody is up to the task.
The formula today is this film made .... XXX millions let us build some thing
Avatar, nobody watches "Dances with Wolves in Space" anymore ..... but it was the top grossing film of all time.

Forget the box office returns do something original.

Tony the Tigger

Yeah, because nobody ever thought of a haunted house before Disney.

And pirates weren’t just behind cowboys & “Indians” back then, right?

Per usual, Disney looked around and took existing stories and characters and adapted them for his theme park, with great innovation.

But making a ride about pirates without a specific Disney movie to back it up disregards the fact there were plenty of movies about pirates. They didn’t invent pirates.

Let’s make a ride about gangs. That would be as original and as wholesome as pirates.

eliza61nyc

Welcome to the Bob Iger era!
lol oh yeah because Cinderella and snow white where original ideas..

this thread isn't an original idea. it's the same evil "IP" theme.

Hey let's build a snow white theme ride based on the original grimms tale where the step mother tries to have snow disemboweled. lol, that will liven things up and I think in one version the dwarfs made the evil step mother dance in heated metal shoes until she burned to death. lol nice.

Astro_Digital

Original Poster
When Disneyland opened.... there were references to Disney culture.
But as I said there were is the past many attractions developed without any reference to a Disney cartoon, or film.

This simply does not happen anymore.
So Marvel, X-Men etc.... are popular films I do not need to see an attraction, sorry if you feel you need the tie in.

I hate the term "IP" there is nothing "Intellectual" about something like Marvel Endgame.
Intellectual implies learning something.... and that is not a bad thing.

WDWFREAK53

People time after time keep saying ..... oh this movie made a billion dollars.
The Disney Corporation needs to build an attraction, and often the term "dark ride" is used.

Here is an idea with anybody is left with any type of creativity or imagination in "Imagineering" why not do something completely original that has nothing to do with a Disney, Pixar, Lucas, or Fox film ?

Pick a theme, think of something you personally believe it, think of a way to develop an attraction.

They used to be creative an the results are unique and memorable
Small World, Haunted House, Pirates of the Caribbean .... but they gave up.

I doubt anybody is up to the task.
The formula today is this film made .... XXX millions let us build some thing
Avatar, nobody watches "Dances with Wolves in Space" anymore ..... but it was the top grossing film of all time.

Forget the box office returns do something original.

You mean like Expedition Everest?

scottieRoss

Or better yet, why doesn't Disney ask their guests who are actually in the parks what they want to see in the parks? You know, Edna and Bob and their 2.5 kids who have saved for years to take the rugrats to DisneyWorld what kinds of attractions and services they want to see in the parks?
I bet they could create a whole internal group. They could stand at the park entrances and ask guests what their expectations were, if they were met and what kinds of things they would like to see in the future?
I bet most of the people would say "I am tired of seeing stories that I associate with Disney in the Disney parks. My darling little princess wants rides that have nothing to do with Frozen and the Disney Princesses. My little slugger wants rides that have stories he has never heard of."

TrainsOfDisney

IP isn’t really the problem.... beauty and the beast, Snow White, and the little mermaid are amazing IP’s to work with... but look what we got in “new fantasyland” compared to what Tokyo is getting.

Movielover

When Disneyland opened.... there were references to Disney culture.
But as I said there were is the past many attractions developed without any reference to a Disney cartoon, or film.

This simply does not happen anymore.
So Marvel, X-Men etc.... are popular films I do not need to see an attraction, sorry if you feel you need the tie in.

I hate the term "IP" there is nothing "Intellectual" about something like Marvel Endgame.
Intellectual implies learning something.... and that is not a bad thing.

Everything in the original Disneyland had some sort of tie or reference to a "IP' that Disney had used or adapted. Plus Disneyland is in itself a IP. So once the park open everything inside of it essentially became an "IP" to the Disney Company.

An IP doesn't necessarily just mean a "Marvel Endgame" type situation...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Everything in the original Disneyland had some sort of tie or reference to a "IP' that Disney had used or adapted. Plus Disneyland is in itself a IP. So once the park open everything inside of it essentially became an "IP" to the Disney Company.

An IP doesn't necessarily just mean a "Marvel Endgame" type situation...

When people complain about IP's they normally mean creating a ride based on an existing movie or tv show, instead of having the creative freedom to start with a blank, or nearly blank slate.

The problem with IP's right now is it seems that Imagineering is being forced to put specific IP's into specific parks (or even specific ride in the park) instead of being give the creative freedom to come up with what is best for each park, whether it by based on an existing IP or not.

Movielover

When people complain about IP's they normally mean creating a ride based on an existing movie or tv show, instead of having the creative freedom to start with a blank, or nearly blank slate.

Yeah I get that, but a lot of times the argument goes back to "There was no IP in the original Disneyland" which is just flat out wrong. That whole park was inspired and designed based on Disney's IP.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah I get that, but a lot of times the argument goes back to "There was no IP in the original Disneyland" which is just flat out wrong. That whole park was inspired and designed based on Disney's IP.

Looking down a list of the opening day attraction for DL, outside of Fantasyland I see very few attractions based on a specific movie or TV show.

Movielover

Looking down a list of the opening day attraction for DL, outside of Fantasyland I see very few attractions based on a specific movie or TV show.

Just off the top of my head.

Adventureland
Jungle Cruise based off of the True Life Adventure serials from Disney and the film The African Queen.
Swiss Family Tree-house is obvious there.

Frontierland
Pretty much everything here had Davy Crockett's name and inspiration slapped on it, from the museum and shooting gallery to the canoes.
The Sailing Ship Columbia is a real life IP being a full scale replica of the Columbia Rediviva
The Mark Twain is again obvious.

All of Fantasyland is again obvious

Tomorrowland was essentially corporate sponsorship's which are a IP
Plus the 20,000 Leagues walk-trough exhibit which again is obvious.

Even the Railroad was an IP bearing the brand of the Santa Fe company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom