News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Timothy_Q

The frozen ride is just a highlight reel of the movie. It’s basically the same thing
People love saying that FEA isn't a book report ride because "it's set after the film"

Yeah, but all the characters are doing is basically retelling the story of the movie.
Which is what a book-report ride is lol

FEA doesn't add anything new. Unless you're counting including elements from Frozen Fever

Sir_Cliff

People love saying that FEA isn't a book report ride because "it's set after the film"

Yeah, but all the characters are doing is basically retelling the story of the movie.
Which is what a book-report ride is lol

FEA doesn't add anything new. Unless you're counting including elements from Frozen Fever
I guess I didn't really expect the dark ride to add anything particularly dramatic. I imagine the brief was to get the characters and the songs people liked from the movie into the ride (which seems reasonable), and they did a decent job of doing that by setting it in the world of Frozen without tying themselves to a beat by beat retelling of the film's plot. Imagine the tears if they tried to set in in a Frozen world people didn't already know from the film!

FEA is honestly not a hill I'd be willing to die on, but my impression is that most of the hate toward it comes from where it's located and people loving to hate this particular IP. As a modern family dark ride with updated tech it doesn't seem like a bad model to me. I also like these slow-moving dark rides but can't think of another one WDI has come up with in the US for decades that works as well when taken on its own merits. NRJ? Little Mermaid? Nemo? Pooh? the Journey into Imagination debacles?

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

As wonderful as the diorama was, why was it in the attraction?
The Guardian's Guard the Galaxy.
Dinosaurs had little to do with fossil fuels, they just happened to be around when some were formed. And fossil fuels aren't the only form of energy. So again, why did dinosaurs dominate this pavilion?

"The formation of fossil fuels occurred over a span of millions upon millions of years. Much of the Earth’s present supply was deposited during the primeval era, when great reptiles roamed the land. Come with us now, and experience a few moments in that dark and mysterious place..."
Because the only memorable parts of the ride were 1) Dinosaurs and 2) Exxon Tigers.

You need something that kids understand and find interesting. That's why I loved it as a kid.

Timothy_Q

but at least it's not a book report and the figures and sets all look good. A million years better than TLM or Pooh over in MK, and seems to be far better received than NRJ.

Like most people, I don't like the location. Still, for me it's one of the few indications we've seen in a long time that they even know how to design enjoyable dark rides anymore.
A ride that just recounts the story of the movie. The Little Mermaid ride is the standard example of that approach.
I guess I didn't really expect the dark ride to add anything particularly dramatic. I imagine the brief was to get the characters and the songs people liked from the movie into the ride (which seems reasonable), and they did a decent job of doing that by setting it in the world of Frozen without tying themselves to a beat by beat retelling of the film's plot. Imagine the tears if they tried to set in in a Frozen world people didn't already know from the film!

FEA is honestly not a hill I'd be willing to die on, but my impression is that most of the hate toward it comes from where it's located and people loving to hate this particular IP. As a modern family dark ride with updated tech it doesn't seem like a bad model to me. I also like these slow-moving dark rides but can't think of another one WDI has come up with in the US for decades that works as well when taken on its own merits. NRJ? Little Mermaid? Nemo? Pooh? the Journey into Imagination debacles?
Still a book report ride

Goofyernmost

I just wish it also had Norwegian edutainment like the old ride. I hated the trolls, but I enjoyed the history (ok, we skipped the tourism movie often)
I skipped the tourism movie every single time after they allowed it to happen. There was a long time where unless you wanted to be really rude, you had no choice. To be honest the whole ride bored me to tears. What is there now is leaps and bounds better. I know a lot of people will disagree, but I shed not one tear over its departure.

FigmentJedi

As wonderful as the diorama was, why was it in the attraction?
The Guardian's Guard the Galaxy.
Dinosaurs had little to do with fossil fuels, they just happened to be around when some were formed. And fossil fuels aren't the only form of energy. So again, why did dinosaurs dominate this pavilion?

"The formation of fossil fuels occurred over a span of millions upon millions of years. Much of the Earth’s present supply was deposited during the primeval era, when great reptiles roamed the land. Come with us now, and experience a few moments in that dark and mysterious place..."
Because there was a Dinosaur sequence in Ray Bradbury's original Spaceship Earth treatment that there wasn't any room for and so they thought the fossil fuel connection for Energy was the easiest solution to put them into Epcot somewhere.

Captain Neo

Because the only memorable parts of the ride were 1) Dinosaurs and 2) Exxon Tigers.

You need something that kids understand and find interesting. That's why I loved it as a kid.

The reason it had dinosaurs is because Disney cut costs by cloning the sets and animatronics from the show scenes of the Disneyland railroad to pad out the energy attraction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
frozen is not a boot report ride... The Little Mermaid is a great example of book report. Same as peter pan... Pinocchio... Alice.. all of them are book report dark rides as they tell abbreviated versions of the movie's plot. Frozen doesn't follow the movie plot at all - it just uses characters and scenes from the movie. Frozen just cycles you through the characters with a very loose story line of 'we're going to the ice palace' followed by the typical 'happy send off' so common in the classic rides.

The attraction follows nothing from the movie and those calling it a 'book report' ride clearly are just flailing to pin something on the attraction.

Mike S

The only copies are the Stegosaurus, the Rex, and the Edaphosaurs. Everything else is a new sculpt.
Allosaurus*

T-Rex didn’t live with Stegosaurus. It also didn’t have three fingers.
tenor.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom