Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tom Morrow

To me, gunner seems to be the worst position. It's nothing like gunning in the films and you just smash buttons for most of the ride. Engineer strikes a nice balance between a passive experience and doing something that feels like what you see in the films - occasionally frantically hitting buttons.

Mike S

To me, gunner seems to be the worst position. It's nothing like gunning in the films and you just smash buttons for most of the ride. Engineer strikes a nice balance between a passive experience and doing something that feels like what you see in the films - occasionally frantically hitting buttons.
Yeah, gunning should’ve been facing forward with a joystick and aiming through a targeting computer.

LukeS7

I’ll probably do a more full write-up about opening day, but a few things to note (including a few merch things since I know merchandise availability has been one worry):
- the droid depot backpacks didn’t sell out (we got ours right after our 8:30pm time slot)
- yellow and white Kyber crystals were gone by the end of the day
- there was a consistent line for Dok Ondar’s (we waited 2-ish hours which was probably the peak)
- I have mixed feelings on Falcon, but won’t elaborate in this post
- the cantina food for breakfast was not good
- if you get the rancor beer flight or another collectible mug from the cantina, your hotel’s gift shop can not ship it for you. It isn’t technically merchandise since it’s from the food and beverage division and it doesn’t have a SKU...
- ...which brings me to: If you are shipping stuff home from the hotel (so it’s a single shipment) SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS. We got lucky that we didn’t toss any of them. They need the SKU numbers to be able to ship them
- TSA reversed their decision on the bottles and they can now be brought in carry-on if empty or checked bags if full

if anyone has specific questions, I’ll gladly do my best to answer them. I know this is a bit delayed from opening day, but we’ve been working out stuff with the hurricane so I hadn’t gotten the chance to post yet 😅

EDIT: another HUGE takeaway that I just remembered: make sure your merchandise works. I had no problems with Savi’s or Droid Depot, but my gf wasn’t so lucky. They had to swap out both the shell and ‘motivator’ (the internal BB component) for her droid and her saber blade had a section that was dead (which I fortunately caught before we walked away). In both cases, they replaced it, but their QA seems to be pretty lackluster so definitely something to look out for.
Cross-posting this here since it’s relevant to this thread as well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...rs-galaxys-edge-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

No Name

It's interesting that these two posters noted and included things that many of the detractors did not: "The scale and sight lines are jaw dropping," "Land is spectacular."

It’s spectacular if you have a thing for complicated detail (including markings, weathering, blast holes, etc.) regardless of whether they contribute to the story of the land. Recent projects have conditioned some fans into appreciating this “detail” without understanding why it works. The average guest may not share that same view and may instead consider the land a bit more dry and depressing. Disneyland fans, who have so much as a sleek Haunted Mansion, aren’t responding as positively.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I personally find Star Wars to be campy. But that’s just me. Think of just about every Han Solo line. Campy humor is widespread in the series’ dialogue and one of my favorite things in the series. It also occurs, if anything, more often in the Star Tours queue, preshow, and even the ride.

With that said, I might expect less joviality from a planet newly occupied by the First Order, but you do get some of that fear from the cast. At the end of the day, theme park lands need to be fun, and people out west complain that the slightly dark tone of the land is too dark for Disneyland.

I really wish they had just built the land in DHS. It doesn’t work in CA.

I agree but GE still works for me in DL. The transition from the old weathered back of Frontierland to the equally detailed Batuu is pretty well done. It also helps they built a ton of foliage and rocks in front of it.

I personally would’ve torn down the Paradise/Pixar Pier area for GE and put it there but oh well.

Joesixtoe

Naw, no no.. first time today being there and I got to say it was way better than I thought.. the atmosphere during the day yes seemed a bit lacking or "dead" and I walked out impressed by the land but totally wanted more "vibe" like pandora has... however at night I noticed it was much more "hoppin" and almost like a night life type of vibe.. I felt like I was there on Battu(within reason of course). MFSR was also so well done from the queue to the ride.. all of it except I hope they change the mission to a more star wars outer space type vibe.... blue milk was good.. I cant believe I liked it, I shared it with my wife, but secretly hoping she wouldn't want anymore. To be fair she wasn't a big fan of it, thought it was ok..... shops way to small... most everything just to small for this land... I did not like TLJ.. yet this land and characters have warmed my heart...

Tom Morrow

Agreed that the land seems to come alive much more at night and is also more beautiful. I too had some nitpicks.. but there are certain moments in this land where the scope and scale of what you're seeing is just completely unprecedented that I'm kind of scratching my head at anyone that's like "ehh... this is just okay." Yes, there is room for improvement. In my opinion there are only two other theme park lands (mind you, I haven't been to Tokyo DisneySea) that come close to the epic feel of this land, and those would be standing at certain lookout points in Pandora and the canyons of Monument Valley in Cars Land. Also, maybe Diagon Alley. For me, as good as all of those are, none of them have matched the "holy crap" factor of the canyon around the Falcon.

erasure fan1

but there are certain moments in this land where the scope and scale of what you're seeing is just completely unprecedented that I'm kind of scratching my head at anyone that's like "ehh... this is just okay." Yes, there is room for improvement.
I think it's a connection problem for those people. I will say the land has gotten its fair share of flack, but the visuals haven't really been part of that. You have to expect that doing what they did with a brand as iconic as star wars, there would be some who just don't connect with it. And that's fair in my opinion. There is a lot of, the land is ok, its good, because right now its incomplete. The land looks brilliant in pics and videos so I can only imagine what it will look like when I see it live. But I get how some might not feel the same because of being unfamiliar with the setting. Maybe the Mandalorian goes to black spire, or Obi-Wan or Cassian and K2so. Or better yet you see it in rise of skywalker. That would go a long way but I doubt it happens.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I think it's a connection problem for those people. I will say the land has gotten its fair share of flack, but the visuals hasn't really been part of that. You have to expect that doing what they did with a brand as iconic as star wars, there would be some who just don't connect with it. And that's fair in my opinion. There is a lot of, the land is ok, its good, because right now its incomplete. The land looks brilliant in pics and videos so I can only imagine what it will look like when I see it live. But I get how some might not feel the same because of being unfamiliar with the setting. Maybe the Mandalorian goes to black spire, or Obi-Wan or Cassian and K2so. Or better yet you see it in rise of skywalker. That would go a long way but I doubt it happens.

I'm hoping that the Mandalorian goes to Black Spire - I was saying that when my son showed me footage of it the other night.
It would be an excellent way to make a tie in.

Joesixtoe

I thought thought that too, that it has to be a place we are familiar with and wanting to actually see and visit. When I was there, i enjoyed visiting a place that i had to get to know, a place i didn't really know much about. I think that's one thing that had made Disney great, is it created characters that for the most part you could only visit by going to the parks. This made you have to be invested in the queue and aspects of the story.

doctornick

So,now that the land is up and running for normal guests, can someone indicate what degree of entertainment if any exists in the land? @wdwmagic perhaps?

1. What is the level of walk around characters and how much are they out or about? What are the different walk around characters featured?
2. Have there been or are there any "shows" on the ships or rooftops?
3. Is March of the First Order going on in the new land and, if so, how often/when?

Ideally someone with knowledge of the "official" levels comment as these threads often get bogged down with anecdotes from short periods of time.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

So,now that the land is up and running for normal guests, can someone indicate what degree of entertainment if any exists in the land? @wdwmagic perhaps?

1. What is the level of walk around characters and how much are the out or about?
2. Have there been or are there any "shows" on the ships or rooftops?
3. Is March of the First Order going on in the new land and, if so, how often/when?

Ideally someone with knowledge of the "official" levels comment as these threads often get bogged down with anecdotes from short periods of time.

I haven't been, but the posts I've noticed on this forum by people who went seem quite confusing. Some say they saw no one save for a Stormtrooper or two. Others said there were actors everywhere and on stage. Very interesting.

doctornick

I haven't been, but the posts I've noticed on this forum by people who went seem quite confusing. Some say they saw no one save for a Stormtrooper or two. Others said there were actors everywhere and on stage. Very interesting.

Exactly. I see people quoting very different experiences so I'm wonder as to what is the "truth". There are definitely those on here who have connections with Entertainment in the parks so I would hope someone could find out the correct actual info and share it with everyone.

Admittedly, it is possible the hurricaine is throwing things for a loop at this moment, but there should still be some real plans for, say, random day in mid-September.

bclane

Exactly. I see people quoting very different experiences so I'm wonder as to what is the "truth". There are definitely those on here who have connections with Entertainment in the parks so I would hope someone could find out the correct actual info and share it with everyone.

Admittedly, it is possible the hurricaine is throwing things for a loop at this moment, but there should still be some real plans for, say, random day in mid-September.
It may just be related to when people where out and about. We never saw Kylo but that doesn’t mean people are making it up that they saw him. I hope to see him today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom