News D23 Expo 2019

Kman101

I’ve heard Falcon. I’ve heard FoP. And I’ve heard Star Tours.

It very much read like it would be that. I also assume simulator because Spider-Man is technically a "dark ride". And they likely wouldn't blatantly copy Rise of the Resistance for Marvel Campus (sorry, Avengers Campus) right next door.

Personally if I were a true hardcore Marvel fan I'd want more than a lazy campus idea and a glorified shooter ride along with a simulator you can find elsewhere ... but what do I know?

Animaniac93-98

Is it a better value, though? It's possible things have changed a lot in the past couple of years, but I spent two nights at Universal at the Royal Pacific in 2016 and 5 nights at Port Orleans Riverside in 2017. 2 day park hopper at Universal and 5 day at Disney. I think the Disney trip was only about $750 more for 3 extra nights and 3 more days of park tickets. I was shocked by how much Universal cost for just 2 nights.

To be fair, I think most of the rides at Universal are either bad or just don't interest me and their in-park food is essentially inedible (CityWalk is good, though) so that of course affects the value proposition for me.

You stayed at a deluxe hotel that included unlimited Express at Universal vs a moderate in WDW. That's why the hotel cost more.

Donaldfan1934

So, that panel was...just ok. While I knew most of it would be further details on projects that were already shown off at the Parks exhibit Thursday night, I was expecting a few more surprises than just Poppins rumor confirmation for EPCOT and a generic pop song infused daytime parade for DL. To be more specific, I was expecting juicy reveals for the 50th and the future of the Imagination Pavilion. Instead, we got little acknowledgement of the 50th other than “it’s happening with cupcakes at all 4 parks” and zero for the Imagination Pavilion despite going into great detail on what will happen to literally every other part of EPCOT.

To be fair, I understand why they might not have wanted to go into detail for the 50th just yet, but I really got my hopes up for a return to form for Imagination based on how it was presented in the concept art. Unfortunately, the deliberate exclusion of Imagination probably means that it’s fate is still in flux as rumors have suggested. If Chapek and Co. had any understanding of the fanbase, they would’ve announced the return of Dreamfinder right then and there while saving their Target synergy announcements for another time and place.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

It very much read like it would be that. I also assume simulator because Spider-Man is technically a "dark ride". And they likely wouldn't blatantly copy Rise of the Resistance for Marvel Campus (sorry, Avengers Campus) right next door.

Personally if I were a true hardcore Marvel fan I'd want more than a lazy campus idea and a glorified shooter ride along with a simulator you can find elsewhere ... but what do I know?
Yeah. I mean, we'll see, but they really seem to be blowing their chance to use Marvel in the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am disappointed JII was not included in the revamp and hope the ride will get a makeover in the next round of spending a few years from now. I also wished for a new pavilion but ces’t la vie. It’ll come at some point. Maybe with the delay in an announcement, they’ll think about adding another ride, when the time comes.

Me too... the juke move by our new friend Zach with the figment reference made me move to the edge of my seat... but alas it was not to be.

Kman101

Best part was **** Van ****.

I liked seeing more on Guardians, Space 220, Mickey, closer looks at upgraded EPCOT, the two shows it’s getting, and Spaceship Earth. I won’t belive it’s actually Moana in there until it’s explicitly said so. Bob wouldn’t have missed that chance to plug a product. The new Cirque show sounds amazing too and hopefully that Avengers ride is as good as it looks and sounds. Mary Poppins is actually getting Cherry Tree Lane and I don’t know about you guys but if it was just a carousel or whatever wouldn’t they have just said it now? Idk.

Overall there’s a good amount I enjoyed but for EPCOT they messed up imo. Should’ve left everything for the actual panel and just do it on the first day.

Btw guys I left at like page 80. I’m not going through all this lol.

I don't hate the idea of a water pathway leading to The Seas. And it does make sense if we think "where can we put IP". I also like some of the video that showed an expansion on the splashing water we see at the entrance. I also like the Moana logo. But I'm still cringing at the thought of Moana in Epcot. It's so weird. But I'm open to the idea. I know that's probably not the 'popular' opinion, but I try and at least find some good in the middle of a mess.

"Fire Mountain - Starring MOANA" in Adventureland would have been better of course ... Moana deserves more than a vague walkthrough. (The poor girl doesn't even have a regular meet and greet!). Does she not sell merchandise up to Bob's standards to warrant significant investment?

Phineas

So glad I’m not the only one. The land looks no more immersive than Disney Springs or any similar complex.

SplashJacket

The spiderman attraction details?
The dr strange attraction images?
The avengers E ticket?
The details of avengers campus?

There had already been concepts released which contained the ride vehicle, loading area, and theme of the Spiderman attraction. If I can recall, Dr. Strange m&g was also known due to the previous concept. The Avengers E-Ticket was long known about just not officially announced due to development hell.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah me too. They have to move away from the d23 expectation problem.
I think this is definitely true. They're not always going to have loads they can announce at once.

If the presentation is not going to be an announcement fest, though, they've got to figure out something else to give us that will be interesting. Some kind of inside information or more previews of work in progress rather than stuff like the drawn out Cirque du Soleil announcement and exciting new concept art for a Disney merchandise section at Target.

It Is What It Is

Two things: The only announcement that I was surprised by was the Phase 2 E-ticket coming to DCA. I thought that was a long time in coming.

Make-a-Wish is great and it deserved to be apart of the presentation but don't you do something exhilarating for the big finale? If Epcot is the big news of this D23's Parks Panel, Don't you go out with that?

...three things, if Chapek is supposed to be a contender for the big seat when Iger leaves, Chapek's PR team is doing him no favors. He shows little to no personality, don't see how he can sell himself to the board when the time comes. If he is the one who signed off on this presentation, .....ugh, how did he get this far?

UNCgolf

You stayed at a deluxe hotel that included unlimited Express at Universal vs a moderate in WDW. That's why the hotel cost more.

Yeah, I know about the hotel costs, but it really wasn't that much more expensive than the Riverside rooms. I think they were around $40 more per night. I was surprised by how much the tickets cost -- the 2 day ticket at Universal was not much cheaper than the 5 day WDW ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom