Is Disney really that expensive?

flynnibus

Premium Member
No but evaluation of comparison are variable based on personal experience. So someone declaration of expensive doesnnt mean much.
You said expensive is not in the eye of the beholder, then who's making the comparison??

Just because someone may be ill informed - that doesn't change the larger consensus. Expensive is a relative comparison - not a personal perspective.

There is no ultimate 'conclusion' - because the answer relies 100% on the question (what you are comparing it to). It is not a personal take on things... and yes, someone who doesn't have good reference points will make wrong conclusions. Just like most things...

eliza61nyc

Just because someone may be ill informed - that doesn't change the larger consensus. Expensive is a relative comparison - not a personal perspective.

There is no ultimate 'conclusion' - because the answer relies 100% on the question (what you are comparing it to). It is not a personal take on things... and yes, someone who doesn't have good reference points will make wrong conclusions. Just like most things...
thats silly how can a comparison not be personal. who the heck is making the comparison then, androids?? so you're saying the price of disney being expensive is not dependent on whether or not one has money?? reference points don't just appear out of thin air, someone assigned a value to them. it;s a relative comparison between things that have been assigned a value by a human being.
Something is expensive because it was assigned a value. have absolutely no idea someone being "ill informed" means.

Goofyernmost

thats silly how can a comparison not be personal. who the heck is making the comparison then, androids?? so you're saying the price of disney being expensive is not dependent on whether or not one has money?? reference points don't just appear out of thin air, someone assigned a value to them. it;s a relative comparison between things that have been assigned a value by a human being.
Something is expensive because it was assigned a value. have absolutely no idea someone being "ill informed" means.
I tend to agree except we seem to be confusing the words expensive with affordable. I think that cost per hour in a Disney Park based on the time of experiencing multiple entertainment venues is not even close to being expensive in the sense of value. I defy anyone to tell me where a more value hourly based thing exists. Now affordability, that is a whole different question. If you went to let's say a pro-baseball game, the hourly rate would be a lot more, however, you will see the game that you paid for and go home satisfied (presuming your team won). A place like WDW is at least a four day experience to even hit the tip of the iceberg. If on top of that you have a family of four or more then all of a sudden you are talking about $500.00 per day just to step foot in the parks. That doesn't include meals, lodging and transportation.

So, expensive, per person entertainment, I would have to say is quite reasonable for a daily rate. However, when doing the simple math add the cost of family and it just jumped into non-affordability for many, many people that once could scratch out the money to attend. One person for 4 days in the parks equals roughly $500.00 total. Add three more as a family and now it is $2000.00 just for the parks, no other expense factored in. A good value as a singular expense. A very expensive affordability quotient for families. What was and, in my mind, still is the absolute essence of a Disney Park (families) many of which have now been priced out. Not seeming to be a problem right now, but that is only thinking of the present. A business that is totally a luxury item really should not be pricing people out. Rob them blind once you get them in, but first get them in. How this will sugar off over time, I don't know, but if I were to gamble on it staying on top, I wouldn't put a nickel on it maintaining the level of success currently touted.

flynnibus

Premium Member

If you compare 500 to 5000... the 5000 number is larger. It doesn’t depend on who answered the question. It doesn’t depend on how much they make.

Your mistake is you intermix “value” and “cost” interchangeably. Value is a personal perception- cost is not. Cost is an absolute. “Expensive” is a comparison between two absolutes... hence is not a subjective topic. It only matters to what you are comparing.

When you are discussing if something is “too expensive” or not... that is a subjective topic that is influenced by the person’s choices and behaviors. It doesn’t change if it’s expensive or not compared to something... it’s anevaluation if the costs are worthwhile to that person... it’s a value discussion.

For instance.... if I shop cars and see a BMW M3 is 25k more than the other 3 series... that makes the m3 “more expensive”. And compared to the average car in that size... it’s is stil higher cost than nearly all others... so we call that “an expensive car”. It’s not a personal evaluation- it’s a statement of fact.

Now when deciding if I will buy the car... I ask myself “is it TOO expensive”? And I do my own evaluation of the costs vs what I get from it. If I decide the M3 is the car for me... and I don’t care about the relative costs because I can afford it no problem.... that does not make the M3 cost less, or be less expensive. It just means as an individual I am fine with the cost and value as perceived by me.

The M3 is still an expensive car. It’s just not “too expensive” in my personal evaluation.

Same thing happens with Disney. Costs are costs... expensive is depending to what you are comparing too... and “too much” or not is a personal subjective decision.

Last edited:

Laketravis

I'm not going to try to compare WDW to a Six Flags park. That's insane.

But I will point out that for roughly $160 per person during the Flash Sale in late August, I can get unlimited admission and parking to any Six Flags and Water Park in the country as well as lunch, dinner, a snack and unlimited beverages on every visit for 16 months to include TWO fall seasons of Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park.

We live within 90 minutes of Fiesta Texas in San Antonio and 3 hours of Six Flags Over Texas. With a 13 year old son who could stay in the park all day riding roller coasters and eating crappy food we will realize no less than 4 visits a year. Often many more. On the last set of season park and dining passes I think we went and ate almost a dozen times.

For $320.

Dollar for dollar, it's cheap fun and food for a teenager. But yeah, it's not Disney World.

bUU

Nothing wrong with being a rediculous Disney fan boy, buddy.
There isn't anything wrong with it, but the reality is that my posts are objecting to irrationally unfounded expectations - that's all. I'm not really saying anything in support of Disney as much as showing how vacuous the complaints some are throwing at Disney are. I'm pointing out just how corrupt, vapid, and nonsensical are the comments to which I'm replying.

And I already outlined why it is important to do so, not just in this forum but really in every forum about every topic. Go back and read the thread.

There are loads of legitimate things to complain about with regard to Disney. It is remarkably how those to which I'm replying have failed to stumble on any of them yet.

BASS

Caveat: I have not read the entire thread.

In comparison to other parks (I did a Universal trip recently), I think Disney is in-line with similar experiences.

In comparison to general travel, I think Disney is expensive. Room rates generally exceed what I believe would be market rate for those hotels. For example, Contemporary, GF, and Poly are constantly way overpriced. IMO, there are only a few hotels that are priced fairly for what you get.

That said, I still enjoy Disney and do it every year. But I make sure that the vacation budget isn't just Disney.

chrisbarry

Caveat: I have not read the entire thread.

In comparison to other parks (I did a Universal trip recently), I think Disney is in-line with similar experiences.

In comparison to general travel, I think Disney is expensive. Room rates generally exceed what I believe would be market rate for those hotels. For example, Contemporary, GF, and Poly are constantly way overpriced. IMO, there are only a few hotels that are priced fairly for what you get.

That said, I still enjoy Disney and do it every year. But I make sure that the vacation budget isn't just Disney.

I think it's impossible to compare Disney hotels to whatever the market rate is. They don't compare. If I figure in the free transportation to and from the airport, free and very consistent bus, boat and monorail transportation around the massive property, multiple pools at most resorts, food courts, full service restaurants, extra magic hours, FastPass booking 60 days out, amenities galore and star service, not to mention close accessibility to the four world class parks - there's no way any other hotels can compare because they have so much less to offer.

I have looked up and down the east coast for a resort that offers as much as you get when you stay at a Disney resort and it's quite simple why I can't find one- there are none. Yes the three hotels you mentioned are expensive, but they're the flagship Deluxe hotels and will always be expensive. But even still, going back to a comparison I made in a post earlier. My Cape Cod hotel on the beach was $409 a night. Nice enough hotel. Postage stamp sized pool. We were charged a $25 resort fee which claimed to be for the WiFi, pool, tennis court, beach chairs and umbrella service. That was the market rate for the area. Once again, nice enough - on the beach and all that. The Yacht and Beach typically run around that price when we typically stay in summer - less when you factor in the room-only discounts usually available which got us Yacht for around $349 last summer. The luxury, amenities, pools, transport, access, service, etc. at Yacht are so far superior to where I just stayed on the Cape or anywhere else I've stayed for that matter. You're getting so much more for your money at a Disney resort.

Once again, not cheap, but so much more bang for your buck and I've looked all over. Hilton Head, Virginia, Hershey, Jersey Shore, Montauk, Gulf Coast, up and down the Florida coast. There's just nothing else out there like the Disney resorts. So, I think a fair comparison can't really be made.

I'd make the argument that a resort like Port Orleans offers more than most other resorts out there for much less money. We've stayed there 5 times. I would put Riverside up against any of the other places I've looked at or stayed at as far as bang for my buck.

Heck my daughter is in college in Boston. It's astounding what they can get for hotels up there at certain times a year. $500 -$600 a night isn't uncommon for a high-rise chain hotel in the city. And what are they giving me for that price? Maybe a pool? Maybe a small gym and restaurant? I know it's apples and oranges in this case, but the underlying principle is the same.

Indy_UK

Disney can be done on a modest budget. I think people still expect the same experience as they received 10 years ago for the same cost

erasure fan1

Disney can be done on a modest budget. I think people still expect the same experience as they received 10 years ago for the same cost
No, I think people expect an improved experience over 10yrs ago. Not a lesser one. I truly believe that the reason pricing gets people so mad, is that you can't raise prices by leaps and bounds, then do almost nothing for a decade. Then you do some stuff, then say "look at all we are doing! We have to dramatically increase prices again."

flynnibus

Premium Member
think it's impossible to compare Disney hotels to whatever the market rate is. They don't compare. If I figure in the free transportation to and from the airport, free and very consistent bus, boat and monorail transportation around the massive property, multiple pools at most resorts, food courts, full service restaurants, extra magic hours, FastPass booking 60 days out, amenities galore and star service, not to mention close accessibility to the four world class parks - there's no way any other hotels can compare because they have so much less to offer.

I have looked up and down the east coast for a resort that offers as much as you get when you stay at a Disney resort and it's quite simple why I can't find one- there are none

Then I don’t think you are even trying that hard. Even just up the street at universal the properties are comparable in amenities. No DME... but that’s just about $50 value that is easily offset by express pass.

For other properties... it’s hard to apples to apples as much of the stuff you listed is unique to being at a dispersed property but ever been to major hotels in Vegas? They do way more than Disney properties generally.

For hotels they are “good” but no where near great anymore and certainly no longer unique.

chrisbarry

Then I don’t think you are even trying that hard. Even just up the street at universal the properties are comparable in amenities. No DME... but that’s just about $50 value that is easily offset by express pass.

For other properties... it’s hard to apples to apples as much of the stuff you listed is unique to being at a dispersed property but ever been to major hotels in Vegas? They do way more than Disney properties generally.

For hotels they are “good” but no where near great anymore and certainly no longer unique.

I'm trying extremely hard to find a resort that gives me as much bang for my buck, believe me. I've stayed at Universal and while they do a nice job with their amenities, I don't think it's up to par with Disney's resorts. There's an inherent difference that I still think exists on property that you're paying for and I happen to think it's well worth it. I have been to Vegas as well and I would consider that another category, one that most families do not think of when seeking out a vacation destination. I know they've changed and grown and cater to all ages now, butI don't think staying at a mega Vegas resort or a mega all-inclusive Mexican resort can compare to the solitude and intimacy that you can still find in a place like The Yacht Club and you're still not losing amenities.
I just can't understand why so many people out here on the web - Disney fans - insist on bashing what the company does so much, even when they things right. Yacht and Beach are "excellent" resorts - not "good" resorts. Polynesian. Wilderness Lodge. Animal Kingdom Lodge. Etc. I don't understand how someone can label these as "good" hotels and compare them to what's out there. I've been to what's out there - and I guess it's just my opinion - but based on a well traveled opinion - the Disney resorts on property are still excellent and worth the cost when compared to what I've seen out there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm trying extremely hard to find a resort that gives me as much bang for my buck

You didn't say 'bang for buck' before.. you said
"I have looked up and down the east coast for a resort that offers as much as you get when you stay at a Disney resort and it's quite simple why I can't find one- there are none"

That's what I was responding to. 'offers as much as you get'. Disney hotels are pretty middle of the road in most categories of amenities or services.

There's an inherent difference that I still think exists on property that you're paying for and I happen to think it's well worth it. I have been to Vegas as well and I would consider that another category, one that most families do not think of when seeking out a vacation destination.

I think you keep blurring 'location at disney' with 'what the hotel offers'. Take these hotels away from seven seas lagoon... are they still standouts? I don't think so.

The room fixtures are average. The in room amenities are below average. The grounds are nice.. but most of the pools are average. Most don't have good pool deck service options. Most don't even have stand-out pools anymore. The amenities like beaches and water craft have been neutered to basically pointless. Most only have a single dining venue. Their sundaries shops are light compared to many other offers. Their gym or spa options are lesser than many peers.

Yacht and Beach are "excellent" resorts - not "good" resorts. Polynesian. Wilderness Lodge. Animal Kingdom Lodge. Etc. I don't understand how someone can label these as "good" hotels and compare them to what's out there. I've been to what's out there - and I guess it's just my opinion - but based on a well traveled opinion - the Disney resorts on property are still excellent and worth the cost.

Given the choice to be at the Bellagio or Beach Club... the choice is easy. Heck, even the Gaylord in Orlando offers more than Beach club. There are many timeshare style places in Orlando that offer way more.

The idea these hotels are somehow 'pinnacles' is dated Disney PR. They are the top only in the Disney bubble.

BASS

If you believe that some of the rates Disney charges are comparable to comparable rates for stays at hotels on the water, near vineyards, mountains, etc., you need to get out more.

chrisbarry

You didn't say 'bang for buck' before.. you said
"I have looked up and down the east coast for a resort that offers as much as you get when you stay at a Disney resort and it's quite simple why I can't find one- there are none"

That's what I was responding to. 'offers as much as you get'. Disney hotels are pretty middle of the road in most categories of amenities or services.

I think you keep blurring 'location at disney' with 'what the hotel offers'. Take these hotels away from seven seas lagoon... are they still standouts? I don't think so.

The room fixtures are average. The in room amenities are below average. The grounds are nice.. but most of the pools are average. Most don't have good pool deck service options. Most don't even have stand-out pools anymore. The amenities like beaches and water craft have been neutered to basically pointless. Most only have a single dining venue. Their sundaries shops are light compared to many other offers. Their gym or spa options are lesser than many peers.

Given the choice to be at the Bellagio or Beach Club... the choice is easy. Heck, even the Gaylord in Orlando offers more than Beach club. There are many timeshare style places in Orlando that offer way more.

The idea these hotels are somehow 'pinnacles' is dated Disney PR. They are the top only in the Disney bubble.

OK. I just disagree with everything you said. So, I'm just going to leave it at that. I don't subscribe to Disney PR. This is how I feel and I'm pretty well traveled and pretty well researched.

jloucks

I tend to agree except we seem to be confusing the words expensive with affordable. I think that cost per hour in a Disney Park based on the time of experiencing multiple entertainment venues is not even close to being expensive in the sense of value. I defy anyone to tell me where a more value hourly based thing exists.

Oh that's easy, just about any base level cruise ship?

But I get your point, and it is fairly solid. WDW has a pretty darn good hourly value. Especially when staying on site.

Oh,, we can even have some fun with math.....so....

WDW mid tier experience, 1 week long, 4 people, on site $6800

Shoot, that is just a little over $10 a hour. That's it! That is cheaper than...

Eating out a non-fast food
Going to the regular priced movie
Uber ride
Music Concert
Major Sporting event

...the list can go on and on, but the point is there.

Cruise ships have an even greater per hour value.

chrisbarry

If you believe that some of the rates Disney charges are comparable to comparable rates for stays at hotels on the water, near vineyards, mountains, etc., you need to get out more.

Does that mean you agree with me or not?

Everything on Cape Cod - unless I wanted a cheap motel on the main road - was around $300-$400 per night. I'm paying $250 per night for my stay at Riverside in September. Last summer we paid around $350 for The Yacht Club with a summer room-only deal. That's less than anything on the Cape and I'm getting so much more out of even Riverside than any of the Cape Cod beach hotels. Can I get a beautiful B&B at a Long Island vineyard? Sure, between $200-$300 per night easy. Is it a nice inn? Of course. Does it offer me multiple pools, restaurants, food court, playgrounds, free transport to and from the airport, free transport on busses, boats and monorails? Not a chance. In the mountains?? I've been skiing for 45 years. I've stayed all over the east coast and out west. Close proximity to the slopes with a pool/hot tub, maybe a shuttle bus back and forth to the mountain? Easy $300 + per night, if not more. Need a condo to sleep a family of 5 - like we have? $400 a night easy. These are nice hotels and complexes, but I'm sorry, they pale in comparison to a place like Yacht and Beach.
Again, there are dozens of cheap Motel 6's in the world, but that's not what we're talking about here.

thomas998

In most vacations you can make them as expensive or as cheap as you want. The only real expenses that you can't manage is the price of admission to the parks... but hotels can vary dramatically based on where you choose to stay... food can be controlled based on where and what you eat... So in the end the real question comes back to whether the parks are expensive or not.

John park hopper

This is a question I have-----WDW is open 365 days a year 10 hours or more a day-- is it a fair comparison (prices) to compare sports venues or ski resorts or beach resorts prices which are open for a limited amount of time and I would think have to make a profit in that limited time in order to cover expenses?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom