Rumor New ride coming to Animal Kingdom. D23 announcement expected.

BlakeW39

I haven't picked a camp just yet. But I think I'd rather see Imagineering challenged to create a new land vs "fixing" an old one. I do however want Dinosaur to remain. (albeit improved) Gut Dinorama for something else, something non-Dino or keeping the Dino theme. Doesn't matter to me so long as any new or improved theme, the land's supporting backstory and rides are actually good. There's room for improvement both figuratively and literally. (Looking at you Nemo!) Imagineering can do better.

Side note: Has anyone stopped to ask if this "new ride coming to Animal Kingdom" will be used elsewhere in the park? I know Dinoland USA is the strawman choice but there are other areas in DAK were a ride could be added.

Dinosaurs are so grand, so great; they offer *limitless* potential. They could be done much better justice. An immersive land set in the age of dinosaurs writes itself. But whatever the approach to dinosaurs is, it much be more well done than what we have.

A ride could go elsewhere yes, but based on the information we have Dinoland seems like the most logical possibility and while you could add a new ride elsewhere, Dinoland is the area of the park which needs the most work.

aladdin2007

I'm quite intrigued by this rumor and feel like the response has been some tacit indication that it is true, so I'm cautiously optimistic about hearing something at D23. The sense I get that it would not be Zootopia, though it will be IP based. This is all just my opinion though based on the hints offered.

Personally, I hope Dinorama stays until the expand elsewhere in the park. I think the park needs more "stuff" before it loses two of its rides, especially one of the few that is all ages/low thrill. I also do not want to lose having a dinosaur area for the park which is appropriate and a nice compliment to the existing and imaged animals elsewhere.

this, since universe of energy is gone at Epcot still love a Dino something somewhere.

Mediachi

I actually made a concept for an Amphibia attraction on the Amphibia Amino. While it is very unlikely, maybe the announcement being rumored for Animal Kingdom might be an Amphibia attraction of some sorts. If not, it could be likely that we could see Amphibia being represented in the parks somehow.

Sir_Cliff

Australia's not known in the upper planet for it's rainforest(s?). It's most iconic animals aren't rainforesty. The US has two rainforests and it's seen as all buffaloes and wolves and horses and eagles and non-rainforest-bears.

You know South America with its huge swaths or rainforests and iconic jungle animals is going to the head of the line ahead of Australia if "Disney's Jungle Kingdom" sticks to its favorite biome.
The whole north of Australia is tropical, so it is definitely rainforests plural! Either way, I would have thought you could blend Australia fairly easily, even if you chose to go with eucalyptus forests where koalas, kangaroos, emus, echidnas lyrebirds, etc. all live without it seeming out of place in AK. They are also sort of of a mid-point between a jungle and the kind of desert that people might imagine when they think of Australia, anyway. You can add ferns to taste, really, when it comes to making it blend in.

Either way, my impression from years on these forums is that Australia has been more something fans have been interested in that anything that Disney has seriously considered since AK opened. Given the theme of the park, it would seem an obvious addition to me. Given the likelihood of anything without a recognisable IP getting green lit, it does not seem so obvious. The only way I can see it happening is if Finding Nemo 3 is put into production and we get Australia featuring Nemo & Friends.

Last edited:

Bairstow

The whole north of Australia is tropical, so it is definitely rainforests plural! Either way, I would have thought you could blend Australia fairly easily, even if you chose to go with eucalyptus forests where koalas, kangaroos, emus, echidnas lyrebirds, etc. all live without it seeming out of place in AK. They are also sort of of a mid-point between a jungle and the kind of desert that people might imagine when they think of Australia, anyway. You can add ferns to taste, really, when it comes to making it blend in.

Either way, my impression from years on these forums is that Australia has been more something fans have been interested in that anything that Disney has seriously considered since AK opened. Given the theme of the park, it would seem an obvious addition to me. Given the likelihood of anything without a recognisable IP getting green lit, it does not seem so obvious. The only way I can see it happening is if Finding Nemo 3 is put into production and we get Australia featuring Nemo & Friends.
The real question is where does Joe Rhode want to take several months-long "research trips"?

Sir_Cliff

The real question is where does Joe Rhode want to take several months-long "research trips"?
I think this is 100% the right question to ask!

I follow him on Instagram, and I've never seen him mention anything to do with Australia let alone post pictures of long outback research trips. So, I think we can scrub that off the list!

BlakeW39

Yea I think Dinorama can wait and I rather they add a whole new land to AK first but both in my opinion should happen at the same time.

I disagree 100% - but even so, why? And what land is so important?

I would... probably doubt Disney would do another land in the vein of Africa and Asia... but it isn't fat fetched either. If we did get Australia, it would have to be the outback. We have the savannah and rainforest, the red desert and scrub would be a great addition. Although the only way I'd want an Australia land is if we could get it to focus on marine and reef ecosystems in a major way.

Personally in terms of land masses I think we need a temperate ecozone like the northwest or Europe, but if we got reefs then that changes.

cookiee_munster

I think this is 100% the right question to ask!

I follow him on Instagram, and I've never seen him mention anything to do with Australia let alone post pictures of long outback research trips. So, I think we can scrub that off the list!

I follow him too. His instagram account is so insightful and never really about Disney at all. His trip to Papua New Guinea was really interesting regarding all the research sketches he posted. It may not be Australia, but it is just north east of it ;););)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does this rumor hold any weight with the insiders or just wishful thinking?

Lots of sources have been saying for years that something (besides) Pandora is coming to DAK. However, what it is and the timeline keeps changing.

Some sources say an announcement is imminent for D23, but given the history of DAK rumors, confidence is low until we hear the same thing just a few days before D23. (And really, if knowing what the surprise announcements will be only a few days before they're announced... why bother being worked up over getting the info just a few days early, which could still change at the last minute?)

Castle Cake Apologist

Other than the fire being deactivated they’ve made no changes to the attraction or queue.

Is that true? I swear that there are several more missing/abandoned effects than just the fire. The entire deforestation scene is nearly void of any effects at this point, and you can barely even hear the chainsaws in the queue anymore.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom