working out for Disney

epcotisbest

The "love" is for the cooler temps and the uptick in your walking energy. I get the same way. Yesterday was higher humidity here, so I also had cut my walk down to 30 minutes. But even more than the humidity, the bugs were driving me nuts. It's those really pesky little ones that love to fly around your face and drive you crazy!! :banghead: I hate bugs!

Gnats and mosquitoes are everywhere down here. I hate them too! The aggrivating gnats fly all around your face and buzz around your ears, and mosquitoes like to feast on my legs. I can use Off on the legs and arms, but nothing much helps with the gnats.

HouCuseChickie

Well, we're back from our trip. We were supposed to land in Houston around 9pm on Tuesday night, but due to an awful delay situation, we didn't land until 3am Wednesday morning. I'm thankful we made it out...we were pretty close to the limit for our flight crew and DIA lost power twice (for no reason- i.e. no weather issues for hours at that point) while we were lining up to board the flight. To add insult to injury, we were delayed an extra 20-25 min (after we all boarded) because we were missing a passenger. Another delay with the parking shuttle added 30 min to the getting home process...putting us home around 4:15am. We were out the door again by 7am since I had to get the older one into the dr for an annual check up...keeping things up to date for back to school. After that and picking up the puppies from boarding, it was off to Austin to see my FIL. We got a call on day 1 of the trip that his health was declining more rapidly than expected. Thankfully, he's still with us, but not sure how much longer he has.

I used yesterday as a rest day, and since we have field work for softball tonight, I skipped my gym workout and will just do that today along with a short maintenance run. I might even run to the field and just have my hubby bring my old sneakers. Don't want to use the good ones for digging and raking. It's going to be nice running outside again, but frustrating not being able to handle the longer intervals in the heat. With the local heat and humidity, I can normally only handle 30-45 second run intervals. On the treadmill, I was averaging 2:30 for my run intervals. The trade off is that the TM is so boring that I could never stomach much more than a 30 min run.

Sans Souci

Hello--

I am still around, I've just been doing stuff with my family and getting ready for my mother and grandmother to visit. I am on a yoga break, since it's been humid, the skin on the bottoms of my big toes rubbed off on my yoga mat. They got bloody, so I am using my kettlebells, my rope-less jump rope, resistance loops, etc.

I am taking a break today. My mom and grandma were supposed to land at 10 PM last night. However, there were storms here, so their flight was delayed by almost 4 hours. They landed just before 2 AM. My grandmother is in a wheelchair, so she doesn't get off of the plane until everyone else does. It took her 20 minutes to get her into the house. It was after 4 by the time I was able to get to sleep. But I had such a headache, so it was a fitful sleep. I just feel blah and tired.

My mother is mean to my grandmother. The previous owners left a stair lift, so my grandmother uses it. She needs to get onto the seat backwards at the top of the stairs and my mother kept telling her to hurry up. My grandmother has a degenerative neurological disorder, so she can't always move the way she wants. My grandmother almost missed the chair and went backwards down the stairs. My mother started yelling at her, which made me angry. So I started yelling at my mother. My mother is my grandmother's caregiver, so I am wondering if I am seeing the tip of the iceberg w/r/t how my mother treats her when they are alone.

I am beginning to think these trips are too much for my grandmother. She had some breakfast and went back to bed. I am hoping she is just recovering from the delayed flight. My mother is hell bent on sight seeing, but my grandmother can't do it. I am just going to stay with my grandmother when they go out. I can roll her out on our deck and hang out with her, make her lunch, get her drinks, etc.

jaklgreen

Hello--

I am still around, I've just been doing stuff with my family and getting ready for my mother and grandmother to visit. I am on a yoga break, since it's been humid, the skin on the bottoms of my big toes rubbed off on my yoga mat. They got bloody, so I am using my kettlebells, my rope-less jump rope, resistance loops, etc.

I am taking a break today. My mom and grandma were supposed to land at 10 PM last night. However, there were storms here, so their flight was delayed by almost 4 hours. They landed just before 2 AM. My grandmother is in a wheelchair, so she doesn't get off of the plane until everyone else does. It took her 20 minutes to get her into the house. It was after 4 by the time I was able to get to sleep. But I had such a headache, so it was a fitful sleep. I just feel blah and tired.

My mother is mean to my grandmother. The previous owners left a stair lift, so my grandmother uses it. She needs to get onto the seat backwards at the top of the stairs and my mother kept telling her to hurry up. My grandmother has a degenerative neurological disorder, so she can't always move the way she wants. My grandmother almost missed the chair and went backwards down the stairs. My mother started yelling at her, which made me angry. So I started yelling at my mother. My mother is my grandmother's caregiver, so I am wondering if I am seeing the tip of the iceberg w/r/t how my mother treats her when they are alone.

I am beginning to think these trips are too much for my grandmother. She had some breakfast and went back to bed. I am hoping she is just recovering from the delayed flight. My mother is hell bent on sight seeing, but my grandmother can't do it. I am just going to stay with my grandmother when they go out. I can roll her out on our deck and hang out with her, make her lunch, get her drinks, etc.

I am sorry to hear about your mother/grandmother situation. As someone who has cared for an elderly relative, it sounds as if your mom is burned out. Caring for someone is 24/7 and is the most stressful thing you can do, IMO. I rather be caring for a dozen toddlers then one senior. Is there someone who can share the duties with her and give her a break? Or maybe it is time to put grandma in an assisted living center. It is hard for others to understand how life consuming it is to care for a senior. I would encourage you to speak to your mom and find out how she is doing. Good luck.

Sans Souci

I am sorry to hear about your mother/grandmother situation. As someone who has cared for an elderly relative, it sounds as if your mom is burned out. Caring for someone is 24/7 and is the most stressful thing you can do, IMO. I rather be caring for a dozen toddlers then one senior. Is there someone who can share the duties with her and give her a break? Or maybe it is time to put grandma in an assisted living center. It is hard for others to understand how life consuming it is to care for a senior. I would encourage you to speak to your mom and find out how she is doing. Good luck.

Thank you. :)
My mother and my grandmother have this very dysfunctional, codependent relationship that predates my grandmother's illness. Ironically, I am a gerontological social worker and I used to work as a care coordinator in their state. I also used to work at the Alzheimer's Association and as a hospice volunteer. So, I have an awareness of caregiver burnout. It is just frustrating, because this goes deeper than caregiver burnout. I have told my mom about respite, because caregivers who are being paid by the state are entitled to so many respite days per year. She won't do it, because she likes to leverage her caregiving to manipulate and guilt trip my grandmother. Not to get into too much, but my mother has struck my grandmother in the past. I have called the cops and provided anonymous tips to the elder abuse unit. My grandmother wouldn't press charges and she was living independently and working at the time, so elder abuse couldn't do anything. I used to live a few blocks away and I used to have coffee with my gram in the mornings, but I had to move away for my husband's job. Now that my grandmother is seriously ill, elder abuse can pull her out, but I am not there to witness any abuse. My mother was like this to my brother and me growing up and my grandmother turned a blind eye to it, or made excuses. I am going to see how the rest of the visit plays out and maybe make an anonymous tip again. My grandmother's sister lives near by and visits a lot, so that makes me feel a bit better.

Thank you, again.

Sans Souci

Well, we're back from our trip. We were supposed to land in Houston around 9pm on Tuesday night, but due to an awful delay situation, we didn't land until 3am Wednesday morning. I'm thankful we made it out...we were pretty close to the limit for our flight crew and DIA lost power twice (for no reason- i.e. no weather issues for hours at that point) while we were lining up to board the flight. To add insult to injury, we were delayed an extra 20-25 min (after we all boarded) because we were missing a passenger. Another delay with the parking shuttle added 30 min to the getting home process...putting us home around 4:15am. We were out the door again by 7am since I had to get the older one into the dr for an annual check up...keeping things up to date for back to school. After that and picking up the puppies from boarding, it was off to Austin to see my FIL. We got a call on day 1 of the trip that his health was declining more rapidly than expected. Thankfully, he's still with us, but not sure how much longer he has.

I used yesterday as a rest day, and since we have field work for softball tonight, I skipped my gym workout and will just do that today along with a short maintenance run. I might even run to the field and just have my hubby bring my old sneakers. Don't want to use the good ones for digging and raking. It's going to be nice running outside again, but frustrating not being able to handle the longer intervals in the heat. With the local heat and humidity, I can normally only handle 30-45 second run intervals. On the treadmill, I was averaging 2:30 for my run intervals. The trade off is that the TM is so boring that I could never stomach much more than a 30 min run.

I am sorry to hear about your FIL. Is he in hospice?

I hope you enjoyed your vacation. I was looking forward to hearing about your rafting trip. :)

I call treadmills, "dreadmills."

Sans Souci

The "love" is for the cooler temps and the uptick in your walking energy. I get the same way. Yesterday was higher humidity here, so I also had cut my walk down to 30 minutes. But even more than the humidity, the bugs were driving me nuts. It's those really pesky little ones that love to fly around your face and drive you crazy!! :banghead: I hate bugs!

It's not summer for me until I inhale one of those little things. :depressed:

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did an hour of yoga to see how my toes would feel. They seemed fine. :)

Yesterday was my grandmother's birthday, so I made her an amaretto cake on Wed. I made the layers with all purpose flour and almond flour and soaked them with an amaretto sugar syrup. I made a swiss meringue buttercream. It took forever to frost, because it was 94 outside. I had to keep stopping to let the frosting firm up in the fridge. But it was delicious and my gram really loved it.

My husband was going to take my mom, my grandmother our son to the shore (I won't fit in the car, so I stay behind), but my gram thinks she has a UTI. So, she's going to Urgent Care later for meds. We're just going to go at my gram's pace and see what she wants to do.2468D14E-2E69-4432-92BF-65BBF96FF9DE.jpeg8CD8E724-FCB8-48C5-8335-FB3FCEEC46D2.jpeg

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Thank you. :)
My mother and my grandmother have this very dysfunctional, codependent relationship that predates my grandmother's illness. Ironically, I am a gerontological social worker and I used to work as a care coordinator in their state. I also used to work at the Alzheimer's Association and as a hospice volunteer. So, I have an awareness of caregiver burnout. It is just frustrating, because this goes deeper than caregiver burnout. I have told my mom about respite, because caregivers who are being paid by the state are entitled to so many respite days per year. She won't do it, because she likes to leverage her caregiving to manipulate and guilt trip my grandmother. Not to get into too much, but my mother has struck my grandmother in the past. I have called the cops and provided anonymous tips to the elder abuse unit. My grandmother wouldn't press charges and she was living independently and working at the time, so elder abuse couldn't do anything. I used to live a few blocks away and I used to have coffee with my gram in the mornings, but I had to move away for my husband's job. Now that my grandmother is seriously ill, elder abuse can pull her out, but I am not there to witness any abuse. My mother was like this to my brother and me growing up and my grandmother turned a blind eye to it, or made excuses. I am going to see how the rest of the visit plays out and maybe make an anonymous tip again. My grandmother's sister lives near by and visits a lot, so that makes me feel a bit better.

Thank you, again.

I am sorry to hear that. I know about dysfunctional families and I am sending your good thoughts.

HouCuseChickie

I am sorry to hear about your FIL. Is he in hospice?

I hope you enjoyed your vacation. I was looking forward to hearing about your rafting trip. :)

I call treadmills, "dreadmills."

Thanks! No, not yet. He's still getting around and he has a woman who is coming in each day and helping with things around the house as well as food and getting him to appointments and such. We just don't know how long before he hits that point and he'll need to move to hospice.

It was really fun, but it's nice to be home. I'm almost done with the written portion and can then start adding in the pics. So, I might have a first post up as early as tomorrow. 15 days and 5,000 or so pictures...so, it's going to be a long one!

Definitely! That term is used quite often in my run groups. It wasn't fun, but it did help with my training. It gave me a safe spot to run at higher altitudes and offered a taste of how hard I may be able to push myself in cooler weather conditions. I also noticed a difference in my long run today.

I'm sorry about the stuff with your mom and grandmother. It reminds me of the challenges my mom faced with her sister after my grandmother fell ill. It was a very difficult time, so wishing you all strength to work through the struggles.

HouCuseChickie

Today was my first long run since vacation. In fact, it was my first run since vacation...since I got lazy and decided to rest a couple of extra days. I'm not sure if it was because of the running and hiking at higher altitudes, the pushing on the hotel treadmills or what...but it was a really good run. I ran the same distance as my long run before vacation just to see how far I've fallen behind, but my average pace was 40 seconds faster today! My best mile also improved quite a bit. I know it's not a totally accurate measure, because I made a detour around the 4.5 mile mark and stopped for a while to watch my younger one's softball tryouts, but I ran 2.5 miles home (+ a .5 mi walk) after that and my avg pace was almost identical. And the funniest part...one of the moms from the team started honking and catcalling me as I finished up my last mile. Love a good laugh!

After the run...I went about 5 mi on the recumbent bike and did some arms and abs. I was pretty tired, so no pushing it today. In fact, I took a 3 hour nap because I was so worn out!

epcotisbest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom