The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My family has origins in the South, too. Ireland as well. ;) I shared this in another thread, but my grandmother’s maiden name is Dugan, a very Irish name. She said she doesn’t know who exactly was born in Ireland, but someone was. Her father, my great-grandfather, was light-skinned and has “mulatto” on his birth certificate. I haven’t been able to go back too much further than that, but I feel like his father or maybe his grandfather was the one who came from Ireland.

When my grandmother was living, she used to make us cabbage, potatoes, and corned beef almost every St. Patrick’s Day. She must have learned that from someone in the family. Black families usually don’t usually include these food items together in our meals, so that tradition must have been passed down from whoever the Irish person in our family was.
You'd be surprised, corned beef and cabbage has become more Americanized and not limited to the Irish anymore. I know plenty of non-Irish families that have it during St Patrick's Day simply because its become an Americanized holiday.

socalifornian

Thank you for this link! I had used Ancestry, but it only took me so far. I will try this out!

I bet that reunion was so much fun!! My family has a reunion every year but we’ve never gone because it’s always either in New York or somewhere in the South, typically in North Carolina (my entire dad’s side of the family is from the South and the Northeast).
It was! My grandma taught me some Spanish and pieces of the culture growing up, I’m only 25%, so it was really cool seeing everyone! Luckily I’m gen 4 in LA with that branch, that’s too bad for your distance tho. At least it gives you an excuse to travel eventually!

Californian Elitist

You'd be surprised, corned beef and cabbage has become more Americanized and not limited to the Irish anymore. I know plenty of non-Irish families that have it during St Patrick's Day simply because its become an Americanized holiday.

For sure, definitely. It’s just not a staple meal within the African American community (I’m African American).

Californian Elitist

It was! My grandma taught me some Spanish and pieces of the culture growing up, I’m only 25%, so it was really cool seeing everyone! Luckily I’m gen 4 in LA with that branch, thats too bad for your distance tho. At least it gives you an excuse to travel eventually!

That’s awesome, and 25% is enough to at least feel somewhat part of a different culture. I’ve got some Irish in the family but it’s so far down the line. I don’t claim to be Irish.

I always look for an excuse to travel lol. I wish I had someone to fund my trips.😩

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For sure, definitely. It’s just not a staple meal within the African American community (I’m African American).
Yep, I remember you mentioned your background before.

Its not a big staple meal here in the US for the Irish either. I actually hate cabbage.

Anyways, depending on where your clan comes from in Ireland we might be distant cousins. ;) Mine comes from County Cork in Southern Ireland, I'm a Southie (though not from Boston)....

socalifornian

That’s awesome, and 25% is enough to at least feel somewhat part of a different culture. I’ve got some Irish in the family but it’s so far down the line. I don’t claim to be Irish.

I always look for an excuse to travel lol. I wish I had someone to fund my trips.😩
I’m still always careful about saying I’m Mexican 😆 some of those ethnicity charts are funny tho. “Caucasian (Not of Hispanic descent).” What is that?! At least you’re living part of the culture tho, it’s always the best part. You should ask to stay with your family! Can’t say no to a cuz

Californian Elitist

Yep, I remember you mentioned your background before.

Its not a big staple meal here in the US for the Irish either. I actually hate cabbage.

Anyways, depending on where your clan comes from in Ireland we might be distant cousins. ;) Mine comes from County Cork in Southern Ireland, I'm a Southie (though not from Boston)....

I find cabbage to be very good, but now that I’m thinking about it, I eat it probably once every few years. 😳

Yes, that’s possible! I went to Dublin two years ago and saw the name “Dugan” everywhere there. However when I went north, nothing.

Californian Elitist

I’m still always careful about saying I’m Mexican 😆 some of those ethnicity charts are funny tho. “Caucasian (Not of Hispanic descent).” What is that?! At least you’re living part of the culture tho, it’s always the best part. You should ask to stay with your family! Can’t say no to a cuz

The last time I stayed with my family in New York, I went out just one time and my cousin had us walking around in circles trying to look for the Rockefeller Center for over two hours. She also had me and my sister buy her and our grandma groceries and things for the house, which I didn’t like.

Anytime I suggested going out, my grandma said it was too dangerous and made me and my sister do laundry and watch Murder She Wrote with her.

I love my family, but no. Lol

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I find cabbage to be very good, but now that I’m thinking about it, I eat it probably once every few years. 😳

Yes, that’s possible! I went to Dublin two years ago and saw the name “Dugan” everywhere there. However when I went north, nothing.
Cabbage when used in things like Cole Slaw is fine. Its boiled cabbage I hate. 🤮

I haven't been to Ireland yet, but most of my US based Irish relatives have.

socalifornian

The last time I stayed with my family in New York, I went out just one time and my cousin had us walking around in circles trying to look for the Rockefeller Center for over two hours. She also had me and my sister buy her and our grandma groceries and things for the house, which I didn’t like.

Anytime I suggested going out, my grandma said it was too dangerous and made me and my sister do laundry and watch Murder She Wrote with her.

I love my family, but no. Lol
Two hours?! Could’ve seen the rock and had more pizza/cheesecake in that time 😍

Californian Elitist

Cabbage when used in things like Cole Slaw is fine. Its boiled cabbage I hate. 🤮

I haven't been to Ireland yet, but most of my US based Irish relatives have.

Do yourself a favor and go! Ireland so far is one of my favorite countries I’ve visited. The people are amazing and the scenery is gorgeous.

Go.😉

Two hours?! Could’ve seen the rock and had more pizza/cheesecake in that time 😍

For real!!!

GingerGirl3

There’s another thread that compared changes to Disney to New Coke. I was too young to know when it was out so I know of it only in the marketing sense. Anyone remember having it? Coke is doing a promotion with Stranger Things and I have to say I want to order it to know what it tastes like.

Darkbeer1

OK, here is the BIG difference.

Coke decided to get RID of "Coke" and replace it with "New Coke" that tasted different, supposedly due to taste tests, and was closer to the flavor of Pepsi.

People said, If I want and Like/Love the original Coke, that is what I expect it to taste like, NOT this newer sweeter stuff. If it is in the Red Can/Bottle, I WANT COKE, not the new stuff.

On the other hand, many brands add new options, and Coke has done so over its lifespan.

But don't change your original product.

A similar marketing issue was with "Kentucky Fried Chicken" when it switched to "KFC" and tried to add Rotisserie Chicken.

So much so, they brought back the Colonel and re-emphasized its main product, FRIED Chicken.

GingerGirl3

OK, here is the BIG difference.

Coke decided to get RID of "Coke" and replace it with "New Coke" that tasted different, supposedly due to taste tests, and was closer to the flavor of Pepsi.

People said, If I want and Like/Love the original Coke, that is what I expect it to taste like, NOT this newer sweeter stuff. If it is in the Red Can/Bottle, I WANT COKE, not the new stuff.

On the other hand, many brands add new options, and Coke has done so over its lifespan.

But don't change your original product.

A similar marketing issue was with "Kentucky Fried Chicken" when it switched to "KFC" and tried to add Rotisserie Chicken.

So much so, they brought back the Colonel and re-emphasized its main product, FRIED Chicken.

I know it was huge PR mess. Ironically Wikipedia says that taste testers seemed to actually like it but were overpowered by the people against it and people in the south. I’m just curious about what it tasted like. Since it was such a big mess I know the term New Coke but not the flavor so I’m tempted by the promotion to actually try it.

I didn’t know know about KFC one though!

Darkbeer1

What I remember about New Coke, it was sweeter and tasted a lot like Pepsi. I remember a group of us tasting New Coke and Pepsi together (just a group that were in the bar/restaurant business) and that was our opinion.

My wife said she remembered she didn't like it, and it had a chemical taste.

But in a rum and coke, didn't make much of a difference.

It tasted liked Cola, but not the taste of Coke. Sorry, but that is our 30+ flashback. Blame it on the Rum!

Nirya

Alright, I just saw Toy Story 4, and I’m going to need them to stop making Toy Story movies because I am tired of ugly-crying during them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom