Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

tk924

Strange crowds haven’t been that big according to reports from USA Today...
“Crowds have been lighter than anticipated since Galaxy’s Edge opened to all visitors on June 24.”
Will the same happen at Disney World?
Reasons for this?
1. Only one ride opening and people are waiting for the main attraction?
2. Raising ticket prices?
3. Backlash/ fans tired of Star Wars? Last Jedi got beat by Jumanji in its third week of release. (amazing for a Star Wars movie) and Solo tanked at box office (who would have thought that could happen) after huge opening from Force Awakens.
4. People assumed crowds would be huge so they waited?
5. Price of the lands attractions are expensive? Build your saber costs $200.00

Will be interesting to see what happens at WDW.

1. Having only one ride based off stealing coaxium (from the Solo movie which performed poorly due to TLJ backlash). This makes GE basically a large SW merchandise area. Pass.
2. Raising ticket prices doesn't help either.
3. Most fans aren't tired of SW, they're tired of Disney's version of SW (see TLJ). Marvel can crank out 2 - 3 movies a year without issue.
4. Crowds are always big at a Disney park. Especially in the summer.
5. Again, over priced SW merchandise. And there are reports of Disney's BYO lightsabers breaking after getting them home.

And then there's this:
Scott Trowbridge said:
So why not create a theme park land based on a place familiar to fans of the 40-year-old-plus film franchise?
“The answer really is we know those places and we know those stories that happen there and we know that we’re (Disney's) not in them,” said Walt Disney Imagineering portfolio creative executive Scott Trowbridge.

This was a bad call. I don't understand why Disney would not build a SW area that's recognizable to SW fans. GE should have been an area that's from a SW movie(s). Not something that Disney made up.
They built Pandora in AK straight from the movie and that area and rides are always packed. And look at the wait times for the Harry Potter ride at Universal. Up to 10 hours?! Really?!
Not sure Disney realizes how much they've damaged the SW brand.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Fall discounts happen every year.

Here is the history of discounts for the last few years:

Looks like Room or Dining discounts were offered for fall dates in April of each year, with further discounts released over the summer.

nickys

Premium Member
1. Having only one ride based off stealing coaxium (from the Solo movie which performed poorly due to TLJ backlash). This makes GE basically a large SW merchandise area. Pass.
3. Most fans aren't tired of SW, they're tired of Disney's version of SW (see TLJ). Marvel can crank out 2 - 3 movies a year without issue.
5. Again, over priced SW merchandise. And there are reports of Disney's BYO lightsabers breaking after getting them home.

And then there's this:

This was a bad call. I don't understand why Disney would not build a SW area that's recognizable to SW fans. GE should have been an area that's from a SW movie(s). Not something that Disney made up.
They built Pandora in AK straight from the movie and that area and rides are always packed. And look at the wait times for the Harry Potter ride at Universal. Up to 10 hours?! Really?!

If you build a land from the movie, you need to really get it right or the fans will be up in arms.

Universal got set designers in to help with WWOHP. And yet, for all the amazing theming, attention to detail and vibe of the place, I still kept thinking “hmm, I think that’s in the wrong place”. Oddly I didn’t mind it in Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, it was Diagon Alley that I felt that.

From what I can see, the theming and attention to detail are present in Galaxy’s Edge.

ToTBellHop

They neither thought they would need to nor wanted to have discounts from August 29-on.

They will be releasing discounts for Fall.

Take that as you will. I will say this: DHS will be busy into early September, but the other parks should be manageable. Maybe a slight uptick over prior Septembers. Bookings are not impressive in the least.

Incomudro

And then there's this:

Galaxy's Edge, while not being a recreation of a land from any movie - is certainly recognizable to Star Wars fans.
It's not a walk through, museum piece place - which yes, many would have loved - but many would have nit picked apart as well, because that's the essence of fandom.
But, the land is certainly Star Wars - and having the Falcon parked there as a centerpiece anchors that.

Darth Snips

A point here, it would be far from unprecedented if they shelves the extra missions. At this point I think it's perfectly reasonable to refer to them as the "Alleged extra missions"

Doubling down on more Solo / Last Jedi exclusive content is short sighted. This shouldn't be that tough, make a trip through the Kessel Run and be done with it.
I mean, in all fairness, a Kessel Run mission would be more Solo content. And that “monster escape” mission from the concept art does look very Kessel-esque.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They neither thought they would need to nor wanted to have discounts from August 29-on.

Take that as you will. I will say this: DHS will be busy into early September, but the other parks should be manageable. Maybe a slight uptick over prior Septembers. Bookings are not impressive in the least.
Do TDA and TDO have an assessment on why SWL is not as successful as they thought it would be? What do they consider the reasons?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

A byproduct of the late discounts is the concern that this will negatively affect F&W and that people have already made alternative plans. (Because we’ve been so conditioned to expect the promotions.)

Rteetz

Yep we will learn more next week.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They look at guest satisfaction and spending. Both are “okay” but given the budgets for these lands, they expected “exceptional.”

I would expect repercussions within WDI.

That's unfortunate, as I don't think the bulk of the problem was because of WDI here.

* They significantly raised prices beyond what I think a lot of people are willing/able to pay
* They opened half a land earlier than planned to try to capitalize on it
* They scared everyone off from the opening
* They blocked a significant # of IPs
* They assumed their high hotel prices could work without discounts.
* They significantly cut entertainment

Yes, the Falcon has OK not great reviews, but I wonder if that is as big of a deal in a land where both rides open at once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom