Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Gomer

Reread your review of 8...with the “trained critic” vibe....

Or dig up pengys stance that 8 was “just like empire” from around 1/1/2018 (yes...it’s out there)

And then tell me who’s living on the Teacups?? 🤢
Still waiting for you to actually tell me why you disagree with my review. Other than just that I don't share your opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Still waiting for you to actually tell me why you disagree with my review. Other than just that I don't share your opinion.

I was being polite an respecting your review. The movie contained little to any of substance or quality you inferred it to contain.

It was written and directed by someone who had no clue and seems to have been intent of stealing some big time hype for himself by throwing it on its ear. He won’t work much from now on. Would you like to bet that isn’t the case?

Gomer

I was being polite an respecting your review. The movie contained little to any of substance or quality you inferred it to contain.

It was written and directed by someone who had no clue and seems to have been intent of stealing some big time hype for himself by throwing it on its ear. He won’t work much from now on. Would you like to bet that isn’t the case?
And again, it seems you don't understand how to substantiate your views. You think it, so you say it, so it is fact.

Understood.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And again, it seems you don't understand how to substantiate your views. You think it, so you say it, so it is fact.

Understood.

I disagree with your review and love of the movie. You can attempt to write it and claim to be Richard Roeper and at the end of the day it’s just your preference. There’s nothing you can “substantiate” anymore than I. You did a detailed review and I respect that...no matter it’s degree of veracity.

If I were to write a review on that detail...it would probably have to include episode 7 and extend to the offices in the presidio. That is where the problem is and why you can’t claim “it’s just a movie” with a franchise - especially this one.

But what I will say is easy to stand on is this isn’t that hard. You take heros and adversaries and create a story that moves in a direction and gives enough lumps in the throat and jumps out of the seat that you want to watch it again.
That apparently is hard in the new environmental where everyone’s opinion is defended as “personal truth”.

Or a cake is just a cake.

Gomer

I disagree with your review and love of the movie. You can attempt to write it and claim to be Richard Roeper and at the end of the day it’s just your preference. There’s nothing you can “substantiate” anymore than I. You did a detailed review and I respect that...no matter it’s degree of veracity.

If I were to write a review on that detail...it would probably have to include episode 7 and extend to the offices in the presidio. That is where the problem is and why you can’t claim “it’s just a movie” with a franchise - especially this one.

But what I will say is easy to stand on is this isn’t that hard. You take heros and adversaries and create a story that moves in a direction and gives enough lumps in the throat and jumps out of the seat that you want to watch it again.
That apparently is hard in the new environmental where everyone’s opinion is defended as “personal truth”.

Or a cake is just a cake.
All you have to do is add "in your opinion" to all of that and I'll completely agree. My problem with your take from the beginning has only been that you claim this as objective fact and not your subjective opinion.

Wendy Pleakley

You seem to be the one who doesn't grasp that your personal assessment of a film doesn't constitute a definitive conclusion that it's a good or bad movie.

Not to mention, your criteria for rating a movie (lumps, jumps, and rewatchability) are not universally agreed upon components of a "good" movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All you have to do is add "in your opinion" to all of that and I'll completely agree. My problem with your take from the beginning has only been that you claim this as objective fact and not your subjective opinion.
We’re all opinion here unless we are recounting dates, events or stories told by those lived/did things
You seem to be the one who doesn't grasp that your personal assessment of a film doesn't constitute a definitive conclusion that it's a good or bad movie.

Not to mention, your criteria for rating a movie (lumps, jumps, and rewatchability) are not universally agreed upon components of a "good" movie.
It’s a bad movie...there’s only so many ways to say that. I can not say it and nothing changes.

So I’ll “unsay it”...and the world will continue as it has been

Jedijax719

Hello all. Newbie here. I post avidly on a certain well known SW site. I had to search for a thread on SW: TROS.

Thoughts about the film.
1. I think that JJ will be going a route not horribly far from the Voldemort/Sauron kind of plot where the heroes have to search for a way to destroy the big bad evil (Palpatine).
2. Palpatine's spirit has been plaguing the galaxy and may have learned how to cheat death like his master, Plaguis did.
3. Vader/Anakin's still the chosen one as he DID destroy the physical form of Palpatine. However, the job is not done. Ironically, as Kylo Ren feels he must "finish what his grandfather started" it is not what he thinks. Instead of ruling the galaxy, that task is to destroy Palpatine-this time in spirit form.
4. Rey may still be related, but it's more likely that she represents the "Yin-Yang" to Kylo's evil.
5. There have been rumors concerning Force artifacts. This seems to indicate that there may be a plot like we've seen in other villain-based fantasies.
6. Having trouble recruiting allies, the heroes (Rey, Finn, and Poe) seek out allies. However, Rey realizes (by learning more about her lineage) that she must find a way to destroy the ultimate evil. It leads them all to the Death Star ruins. While there, Finn and Poe find a transmission tower and then realize that they must use it to transmit the message of hope. Meanwhile, they are confronted by Kylo and he fights Rey until they realize they have to destroy Palpatine's spirit.

Can't wait!

tk924

I lost count of the number of articles that address the sequel trilogy as part of the Skywalker Saga. Nope. The Skywalker saga ended with ROTJ.
This is Rey's story arc and she's not a Skywalker, remember? She's a nobody. This is the Nobody Saga. Disney does have a character called Jake Skywalker, but these movies are not about him.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I lost count of the number of articles that address the sequel trilogy as the Skywalker Saga. Nope. The Skywalker saga ended with ROTJ.
This is Rey's story arc and she's not a Skywalker, remember? She's a nobody. This is the Nobody Saga. Disney does have a character called Jake Skywalker, but these movies are not about him.

I think the funny part is the “family” has some of the most iconic, ridiculously money making characters in history...so they’ve spent 20 years twisting them inside out and flip flopping to the point they’re unrecognizable.

I guess we can thank Gareth Edwards for giving two scenes with Vader that were sorta in character? The episodes are beyond terrible for the big 3.

Anyway...I find myself wanting treverrow - who stinks frankly - more than another abrams/Kennedy swing and miss from a character perspective. I feel like I’ve watched the visigoths pour over the hill long ago...but I go to the window and watch everyday and see if maybe they’ll go back over in reverse?

drod1985

I lost count of the number of articles that address the sequel trilogy as the Skywalker Saga. Nope. The Skywalker saga ended with ROTJ.

The ST isn't the Skywalker Saga. The OT+PT+ST is the Skywalker saga. And while Rey isn't a Skywalker the ST still deals with wrapping up the Skywalker story, namely in Ben Solo's claim to the Skywalker legacy. Both JJ and Rian have said they see Rey and Kylo/Ben as dual leads, opposing protagonists. It seems that is going to be even more relevant in TROS.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The ST isn't the Skywalker Saga. The OT+PT+ST is the Skywalker saga. And while Rey isn't a Skywalker the ST still deals with wrapping up the Skywalker story, namely in Ben Solo's claim to the Skywalker legacy. Both JJ and Rian have said they see Rey and Kylo/Ben as dual leads, opposing protagonists. It seems that is going to be even more relevant in TROS.
...yeah...they’re really “pulling that off”

I’ll just point out the absurdity of a “sequel” to a movie where they killed the bad guy, killed the mentor(s), eliminated the warring factions, left nobody around to cheer for, AND left the “bridge” character as someone who died years ago and was terrible even before that formality happened.

Oh...and 85 year old billy dee and felicity fett
😳

I’ll go play somewhere else now 🤪

Tony Perkis

I think the funny part is the “family” has some of the most iconic, ridiculously money making characters in history...so they’ve spent 20 years twisting them inside out and flip flopping to the point they’re unrecognizable.

I guess we can thank Gareth Edwards for giving two scenes with Vader that were sorta in character? The episodes are beyond terrible for the big 3.

Anyway...I find myself wanting treverrow - who stinks frankly - more than another abrams/Kennedy swing and miss from a character perspective. I feel like I’ve watched the visigoths pour over the hill long ago...but I go to the window and watch everyday and see if maybe they’ll go back over in reverse?
I’m pretty sure the Vader moments were products of Tony Gilroy’s reshoots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom