News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MerlinTheGoat

People don't bat an eye getting into their hot cars in the parking lots. The gondolas will be moving briskly and get you to the next stop before your car air conditioning will ever kick in. Can't wait!!!!
Getting into a hot car is extremely unpleasant too, everyone hates that sensation as well. But at the very least people generally have a working air conditioning unit in their car which will generally kick in within 10 seconds or so. In the Skyliner, you're going to be trapped for a minimum of 5 minutes. And up to 15 for the farther destinations, not even mentioning that stops or breakdowns will also inevitably occur.

I don’t know. Maybe the people that designed and are building them know a little more than the rest of us?
I'll trust your opinion since you have been inside one already. Don't worry folks, our resident expert says the gondola will be too hot to ride. Sad to see Disney throw away money on transportation no one will even use... :(
You don't need to climb inside an enclosed plastic and metal box without A/C in Florida to know it's going to be hot for approximately 3/4 of the year.

Comparatively. ;)
There is no comparison. Assuming it is functioning properly, a car should generally have air conditioning and it should start to get comfortably cool within about 10 seconds.

peter11435

Getting into a hot car is extremely unpleasant too, everyone hates that sensation as well. But at the very least people generally have a working air conditioning unit in their car which will generally kick in within 10 seconds or so. In the Skyliner, you're going to be trapped for a minimum of 5 minutes. And up to 15 for the farther destinations, not even mentioning that stops or breakdowns will also inevitably occur.

You don't need to climb inside an enclosed plastic and metal box without A/C in Florida to know it's going to be hot for approximately 3/4 of the year.

There is no comparison. Assuming it is functioning properly, a car should generally have air conditioning and it should start to get comfortably cool within about 10 seconds.
You clearly don’t spend much time in Florida if your car is comfortably cool after only 10 seconds.

worldtrotter

They're enclosed vehicles that don't have A/C. In Florida. You don't need to have ridden them to realize there's simply no way these things are going to be a comfortable temperature for at least 3 quarters of the year.
We have very similar gondolas at our local ski resort. The doors have two small sliding windows and the roof has a ventilation trap. In the summer , the gondolas are used for hiking or mountain biking and they remain comfortable up to about 80 degrees....

MerlinTheGoat

You clearly don’t spend much time in Florida if your car is comfortably cool after only 10 seconds.
LMAO, I live in Florida... :rolleyes:

After about 10 seconds, my car at least starts to cool down considerably. More comfortable than an enclosed box without A/C will be (even with ventilation and forced exterior airflow).

Let's be real here, he obviously knows nothing about these gondolas if he is comparing them to a car that has been sitting in the sun all day.
I did not make such a comparison, at least not with the same framing you're claiming I did.

The gondolas will have some sort of forced air ventilation, so they WILL be cooler than a car that is off and has been sitting in the sun for hours. But they still won't be comfortable on 85+ degree days (which is most of the year for central Florida).

My comparison was a car after it has been turned on with the air conditioning starting to circulate for about 10 seconds. At that point, my car begins to quickly cool down and is more comfortable than these gondolas will be.

We have very similar gondolas at our local ski resort. The doors have two small sliding windows and the roof has a ventilation trap. In the summer , the gondolas are used for hiking or mountain biking and they remain comfortable up to about 80 degrees....
80 degrees is nothing. It is currently 91 degrees where I live (roughly 15 miles from WDW). High today is supposed to be 95. We're not at the peak yet either. Humidity and heat index can also get hellish.

lazyboy97o

After about 10 seconds, my car at least starts to cool down considerably. More comfortable than an enclosed vehicle without A/C will be (even with forced outside airflow).

Literally said nothing of the sort. The gondolas will have some sort of forced air ventilation, so they WILL be cooler than a car that has not been running and has been sitting in the sun for hours. But they still won't be comfortable on 85+ degree days (which is most of the year for central Florida).

My comparison was a car after it has been turned on with the air conditioning starting to circulate for about 10 seconds. At that point, my car begins to quickly cool down and is more comfortable than these gondolas will be.

Florida is sort of known to get a bit hotter than 80 degrees during most of the year... It is currently 91 degrees where I live (less than 15 miles from WDW). High today is stated to be 95. We're not at the peak yet either.
Comparing to a car is just a poor comparison. The gondolas are not sealed the way a car is sealed. A gondola does not have a large piece of glass well angled towards the sun.

imarc

All comparisons aside, they're testing these things right now and will be testing them through the heat of the summer before it opens.

We won't know if someone miscalculated until we see the temp vendor stands popup outside each station selling misting fans.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The gondolas will have some sort of forced air ventilation, so they WILL be cooler than a car that is off and has been sitting in the sun for hours. But they still won't be comfortable on 85+ degree days (which is most of the year for central Florida).

People who have ridden similar system in hot climate locations have said otherwise.

MerlinTheGoat

Comparing to a car is just a poor comparison. The gondolas are not sealed the way a car is sealed. A gondola does not have a large piece of glass well angled towards the sun.
I wasn't even the one who brought up cars as a comparison in the first place. Someone else complained about how hot a car is when it has been sitting parked for hours in the sun, which it is. I simply pointed out that after being turned on with the A/C circulating for a few seconds, this problem is completely nullified. I enjoy the reprieve of air conditioning blowing in my face after escaping from the heat.

The gondola is going to be cooler than a car that isn't turned on, has no A/C or even a fan going. That was never a question. But it is still not going to be comfortable in 85+ degrees Florida heat (not to mention the humidity). Being stuck inside these things for even the short 5 minute routes is going to be quite unpleasant in that sort of weather.

People who have ridden similar system in hot climate locations have said otherwise.
In Florida-like heat and humidity without A/C? Who?

Incomudro

Who are these people?
I'll give you my Staten Island Ferry comparison again.
I rode that tub for decades on hazy, hot and humid summer days in NYC.
Some people loved it on those days and found it extremely pleasant when it got underway and a breeze blew through it.
Others, myself being one of them - found it absolutely disgusting.
95 degrees, hazy hot and humid with a breeze.
That's not comfortable to me.
And I need to add that there is a psychological component to being hot and clammy in a large open container vs a much smaller one.
I love the gondola's and am planning on booking a stay in Caribbean Beach in early may 2020 largely because of them.
But I'm hoping we will have the very pleasant weather we have head on previous stays at that time of year.

worldtrotter

After about 10 seconds, my car at least starts to cool down considerably. More comfortable than an enclosed box without A/C will be (even with ventilation and forced exterior airflow).

I did not make such a comparison, at least not with the same framing you're claiming I did.

80 degrees is nothing. It is currently 91 degrees where I live (roughly 15 miles from WDW). High today is supposed to be 95. We're not at the peak yet either. Humidity and heat index can also get hellish.
Yes, I understand that. However, our gondolas are mostly designed to keep us warm during the cold winter days and they’re still not too bad in the summer.

note2001

Yes!

As long as the air keeps moving and they don't pack the gondolas to the max with people there should be enough filtered shade and airflow to keep the occupants cooled off.

The problem here is that despite it being an incredibly efficient cooling mechanism, people don't like to sweat. You'll need to sweat to cool off in that breeze.

JayKZ

Yes!

As long as the air keeps moving and they don't pack the gondolas to the max with people there should be enough filtered shade and airflow to keep the occupants cooled off.

The problem here is that despite it being an incredibly efficient cooling mechanism, people don't like to sweat. You'll need to sweat to cool off in that breeze.
If you don't like to sweat, don't come to Central Florida in the summertime. The vast majority of WDW is outside where it's sunny and hot, except when it's rainy and hot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom