News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

note2001

I apologize it it's been asked/answered,

Have we seen all the gondola designs yet?
Do they have any reminiscent of the old DL skyway or of Zootopia's gondolas?

Polydweller

Me. St. Thomas. It was perfectly enjoyable. People getting bent out of shape about this are ridiculous and I wish they'd stop derailing this thread for hundreds of pages with their blasted whining about it.
I also wish they’d learn a little about the physics of heat transfer. Most of what we feel as heat is in the infrared end of the spectrum. We use coatings on house windows to reduce the heat transfer through windows and so does Doppelmayr. All of windows of a gondola are coated with an infrared blocking coat which reflects the heat but let’s the visible spectrum through. So lots of light and little heat. AC is NOT the only way to deal with heat and the engineers know this and know how to do it.

I think l’ll believe a company with over 100 years experience that has installed 14600 Ropeways around the world over the “experts” here who should let this issue go.

Incomudro

I also wish they’d learn a little about the physics of heat transfer. Most of what we feel as heat is in the infrared end of the spectrum. We use coatings on house windows to reduce the heat transfer through windows and so does Doppelmayr. All of windows of a gondola are coated with an infrared blocking coat which reflects the heat but let’s the visible spectrum through. So lots of light and little heat. AC is NOT the only way to deal with heat and the engineers know this and know how to do it.

I think l’ll believe a company with over 100 years experience that has installed 14600 Ropeways around the world over the “experts” here who should let this issue go.

Much of what makes us uncomfortable is humidity.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nope, Doppelmayr’s information pages.
the-joke.png

Goofyernmost

I wish they would stop but the juveniles still think they are funny and they haven't stopped even with the site owner and moderators asking them to do so.
Well, the owners/moderators have allowed the new thread in General to go ahead even though this one exists. So it seems to me that there is a very mixed signal being sent here. Don't do it or do it but in a different thread. Those two situations do not lead to a solid command in my mind.

Goofyernmost

I wasn't even the one who brought up cars as a comparison in the first place. Someone else complained about how hot a car is when it has been sitting parked for hours in the sun, which it is. I simply pointed out that after being turned on with the A/C circulating for a few seconds, this problem is completely nullified. I enjoy the reprieve of air conditioning blowing in my face after escaping from the heat.

The gondola is going to be cooler than a car that isn't turned on, has no A/C or even a fan going. That was never a question. But it is still not going to be comfortable in 85+ degrees Florida heat (not to mention the humidity). Being stuck inside these things for even the short 5 minute routes is going to be quite unpleasant in that sort of weather.

In Florida-like heat and humidity without A/C? Who?
Heat and humidity is pretty much the same no matter where it is and there are many places on the planet that are hotter then Florida. I'll bet if you looked around in Florida that there are many cars without working air conditioners. The windows are open and they survive. As a kid I rode in the back of a pickup camper with no AC in July in Florida and survived. Every vacation I was on with my parents when I was a kid was without air conditioning and that was the era when people put clear plastic seat covers on the seat of their cars. That little five minute run will not hurt anyone. Even if it stopped for an hour (which it won't) everyone will survive. They might be sweaty, but, it isn't likely to be terminal. The worse case scenario would be death from armpit radiation.

BrianLo

In Florida-like heat and humidity without A/C? Who?

I’ve been on them in particularly warm days in Brazil, Spain, Canary Islands, China, Australia, Singapore and Vietnam. (+ a particularly gross day in Japan). I’m certain a few other warm summer days (after hiking probably) in more seasonal locations like Western/Northern Europe, plenty of North America. These are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

I can distinctly recall being more comfortable in a few of those gondolas than I was outside.

There are of course some old 60-80’s era stuffy models, which people have referenced as well. Including referencing a tram, which we acknowledge is a different beast entirely.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yes!

As long as the air keeps moving and they don't pack the gondolas to the max with people there should be enough filtered shade and airflow to keep the occupants cooled off.

The problem here is that despite it being an incredibly efficient cooling mechanism, people don't like to sweat. You'll need to sweat to cool off in that breeze.
Ooh! That's a great name for the upgraded Skyliner... Skyliner MAX!*

*Sorry, Boeing -- I just couldn't resist!

Lensman

Ol uncle Orville rigged up a fancy way to keep cool in the gondolas...calls it "air cooling"...
Just as an FYI, I added links to the 27 major discussions we've had about AC in this thread. I still have some more to do.

So far, there are zero discussions of AC yet in the honeypot thread. What a failure! :(

SpoiledBlueMilk

They're enclosed vehicles that don't have A/C. In Florida. You don't need to have ridden them to realize there's simply no way these things are going to be a comfortable temperature for at least 3 quarters of the year.

I trust the engineers who have put these systems in places with hot and cold climates. These things will be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom