Rumor Light Rail / Tram Link for Disney Springs to TTC?

Boo Birds

Speaking of the water bridge by the Contemporary, bioreconstruct posted several wonderful aerial photos that show it in good perspective.

In the upper right of this one:

In the center of this one:

The left bottom of this one:

And at the very bottom center of this one:
DpdGq01U4AAkYvx.jpg:large

Besides what @marni1971 said about this being a different Disney from the one of the era that engineered this small marvel, the case is different in that the canal isn't frequently navigated like this one between Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon, which is navigated at least every 10 minutes by the water shuttle from the FW and WL to the MK.

Only realized on my last visit a water bridge at International Gateway.

Attachments

• 79997939-4381-4A31-852E-E5B83C435FC7.jpeg
    79997939-4381-4A31-852E-E5B83C435FC7.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 192

Mr Mindcrime

it's definitely not as sexy, but it makes a lot more practical sense.
If that were the sole criteria, Disney wouldn't build the Polynesian or Wildnerness Lodge or ..... they'd instead build Motel 6's. This is Disney World .... this is an escape from the real world (which truly needs escaping from) ...... this is fun and whimsical and magical. If I want to ride a bus, I'd just go to a city. I go to Disney for cool stuff, like monorails that go through hotels and gondolas that fly through the air and lots of other stuff .... that isn't really practical.

Marc Davis Fan

Virgin announced that they started construction on their next line and there will be a light rail stop at Disney.

This is the first time (that I know of) that a non-Disney-operated transportation system (not counting vehicles on roads) will actually cut through Disney property (not just stop at the edge, e.g., Paris, Hong Kong). Hopefully the train will not intrude upon beautiful views from parks/resorts/waterfront areas.

Lensman

Virgin announced that they started construction on their next line and there will be a light rail stop at Disney.
Do you mean a heavy rail stop? Brightline/Virgin is standard gauge rail powered by two diesel-electric locomotives.

Hopefully the WDW stop will be one stop on the route to Tampa, eventually.

I think the whole thing is the subject of the following dedicated thread:

toolsnspools

Do you mean a heavy rail stop? Brightline/Virgin is standard gauge rail powered by two diesel-electric locomotives.

Hopefully the WDW stop will be one stop on the route to Tampa, eventually.

I think the whole thing is the subject of the following dedicated thread:
I thought I read light rail in the article, but High Speed Rail is the terminology they used.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/flori...eed-train-route-from-orlando-to-south-florida .

Creathir

Adding additional Gondola routes seems much more likely. Because it is much cheaper to create than Monorail or rail tracks.
Beyond it being confirmed that no plans currently exist, the gondolas are too slow for the distances involved.

You’d be sitting in a gondola for 45 minutes to an hour to reach the Animal Kingdom.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Beyond it being confirmed that no plans currently exist, the gondolas are too slow for the distances involved.

You’d be sitting in a gondola for 45 minutes to an hour to reach the Animal Kingdom.

A jagged path from the Epcot Tram past Coronado to DAK is only 3 miles. At 11 mph, that's only about 17 minutes.

But, it is true Our Insider has said that WDW isn't considering any more gondola paths. But instead, a dedicated roadway for some sort of vehicle which may or may not be autonomous and may or may not be on wheels or tracks. Years from now.

jt04

A jagged path from the Epcot Tram past Coronado to DAK is only 3 miles. At 11 mph, that's only about 17 minutes.

But, it is true Our Insider has said that WDW isn't considering any more gondola paths. But instead, a dedicated roadway for some sort of vehicle which may or may not be autonomous and may or may not be
on wheels or tracks. Years from now.

I'm predicting dedicated lanes, flyways and underpasses for buses. Hydrogen powered buses.

voodoo321

This is the first time (that I know of) that a non-Disney-operated transportation system (not counting vehicles on roads) will actually cut through Disney property (not just stop at the edge, e.g., Paris, Hong Kong). Hopefully the train will not intrude upon beautiful views from parks/resorts/waterfront areas.
The Eurostar and RER lines do indeed cut through the Disneyland Paris Resort and do not merely stop at the edge.

voodoo321

Yeah, but they go under that walkway, don’t they? That would be difficult to accomplish in FL due to the high water table.
Yes. The station is within a stone's throw of the parks but you board on a lower level. Hence you don't cross any tracks when walking to the parks. I think it is more of a build up than dig down though.

voodoo321

Yes. The station is within a stone's throw of the parks but you board on a lower level. Hence you don't cross any tracks when walking to the parks. I think it is more of a build up than dig down though.
Seems like I remember the line to be under grade all the way to Val D'Europe but not underground. Still the line cuts through the property. Not sure if it is at level grade on the eastern side of the station. I've only been there on two short trips. There are others that are more familiar I'm sure.

Creathir

But, it is true Our Insider has said that WDW isn't considering any more gondola paths. But instead, a dedicated roadway for some sort of vehicle which may or may not be autonomous and may or may not be on wheels or tracks. Years from now.
That jagged path would be MUCH longer because of the slowdown in the turns.

Disney themselves have said CBR to IG is a 15 minute trip on its own.

You’d be looking at easily 25-30 minute to make the trip, tack on the distance to the other resorts and you’re looking at pushing an hour with transfers/wait times.

It’s a terrific system for smaller or straight pathways, but is not really conducive to WDW’s layout.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That jagged path would be MUCH longer because of the slowdown in the turns.

Disney themselves have said CBR to IG is a 15 minute trip on its own.

You’d be looking at easily 25-30 minute to make the trip, tack on the distance to the other resorts and you’re looking at pushing an hour with transfers/wait times.

It’s a terrific system for smaller or straight pathways, but is not really conducive to WDW’s layout.

The jagged path I said was because it wouldn't be a straight run, so I added a turn and Coronado station. We've already seen the turn at BoardWalk add no more than 30 seconds, so, with two turns, it would only add one to two minutes.

Disney's quote of 15 min is just plain wrong if we're counting just travel time. It's simple math to figure out how long to travel 1.5 miles at 11.2 mph and it ain't 15 minutes. And 3 miles ain't an hour. You're doing ballpark math in your head and fouling out. You're *feeling* what it would be rather than reasoning it.

WDW is obviously adding in wait times. When people discuss how long it takes to get from one place to another by bus, they don't add in wait times when they're talking distance in terms of time. It's only when they have to figure out what time to be somewhere that they then have to account waiting possibly up to half an hour for the bus. No one answers the question "How long does it take to get from Port Orleans to DAK" with "over an hour." However, if someone asks, "How much time should I allow from Port Orleans to an ADR in DAK?", then the correct answer is "over an hour."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom