News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Same at Whistler B.C., and, from the YouTubes, at the La Paz, Bolivia, Mi Teleferico system. At La Paz, the doors open when the cabin reaches the unload platform, and remain open around the turn until it reaches the end of the the load platform. Passengers are blocked from exiting while the cabin rounds the turn at higher speed only by portable ropes placed along the platform edge. It will be interesting to see whether Disney thinks that's adequate, or they close and reopen the doors for the turn.

But Rob says he sees the cabins stopping inside the station. I believe he is mistaken, fooled by the distance and angle at which he is viewing it.

I agree, I think they are slowing but not coming to a complete stop.

Disone

Same at Whistler B.C., and, from the YouTubes, at the La Paz, Bolivia, Mi Teleferico system. At La Paz, the doors open when the cabin reaches the unload platform, and remain open around the turn until it reaches the end of the the load platform. Passengers are blocked from exiting while the cabin rounds the turn at higher speed only by portable ropes placed along the platform edge. It will be interesting to see whether Disney thinks that's adequate, or they close and reopen the doors for the turn.

But Rob says he sees the cabins stopping inside the station. I believe he is mistaken, fooled by the distance and angle at which he is viewing it.

agreed, they are not coming to a stop. They are at an absolutely crawl and why it will be possible to load and unload EVCs and Strollers. And yes, aside from that his "speculation" is spot on. It is exactly how it is done on several nearly identically layout midpoint stations around the world. I do not think this station is the systems most complex station. I think that honor will be where the three lines meet at the main CB station. Looking forward to seeing that!

DHoy

The riviera station should not have issues loading throughout the day. I expect the morning surge will have operations sending gap gondolas (empty) from IG and CBR to cover capacity needs

begood524

Speaking of the Mi Teleferico system, should we anticipate this to be the closest currently functioning system to what we are going to get with the Skyliner? If so I'm a bit concerned about the rumbling that happens every time the gondola crosses a tower.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Speaking of the Mi Teleferico system, should we anticipate this to be the closest currently functioning system to what we are going to get with the Skyliner? If so I'm a bit concerned about the rumbling that happens every time the gondola crosses a tower.

So far the videos from florida show almost zero noise at the ground from gondolas running over the sheeves at the tower.. remarkably quiet.

begood524

So far the videos from florida show almost zero noise at the ground from gondolas running over the sheeves at the tower.. remarkably quiet.
Oh I was referring to the noise inside the actual gondola in the Mi Teleferico POV video. Every time the gondola passes a tower, the gondola rumbles and vibrates.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh I was referring to the noise inside the actual gondola in the Mi Teleferico POV video. Every time the gondola passes a tower, the gondola rumbles and vibrates.

When you have virtually silence... anything sound will be more noticable. There is no noise in this situation to drown anything out. Plus, the guy ruffling around in his bag was 10x louder :)

I think you'll really have to be sitting quiet to hear it more than a faint noise.

Heppenheimer

On every ski gondola (and lift) I have ever ridden, there is a slight bump and mechanical noise as the vehicle goes through the suspension equipment on the towers, but it's only noticeable if you actively pay attention. It's less disruptive than driving over a seam in the road. Between the music that I'm sure Disney will pipe in and the babbling of your fellow gondola passengers, you probably won't even notice.

joelkfla

It's mostly at the towers where the cable angles upward; I think they're called depression towers. At those towers, the carrier pushes the sheaves up as it passes under them.

At most towers, the carrier simply rolls over the sheaves, and there's very little noise.

allgiggles

There is some huge difference between the height of that one and the Disney ones.

Yes, I would need to be very heavily medicated to get in the gondola on that video. Getting on the one at Disney will still be a challenge for me, but I'm determined to try it. I was very happy to see how low the Disney one actually is.

cindy_k

A simple blindfold would have fixed that situation.
Perhaps Disney should have optional black out glasses to be borrowed at the loading stations and returned to the bins at the exit.
Nah this is Disney, they need to lend out Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.

Designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. They follow the principle "what you don't know can't hurt you" and turn completely dark and opaque at the first sign of danger. This prevents you from seeing anything that might alarm you. :D

JayKZ

They could go with Augmented Reality glasses (like MS HoloLens) programmed so that any direction the wearer looks outside the gondola he/she will be flanked with flying characters: Peter Pan, Tink, Dumbo, Aladdin and Jasmine, Buzz, Pooh (at the end of a kite), Tigger (bouncing), Carl and Russell, Nigel, Elastigirl, and on and on. Available for a modest upcharge, of course.

WDWFREAK53

They could go with Augmented Reality glasses (like MS HoloLens) programmed so that any direction the wearer looks outside the gondola he/she will be flanked with flying characters: Peter Pan, Tink, Dumbo, Aladdin and Jasmine, Buzz, Pooh (at the end of a kite), Tigger (bouncing), Carl and Russell, Nigel, Elastigirl, and on and on. Available for a modest upcharge, of course.

Better yet, just have the windows BE the hololens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom