News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

jrhwdw

What will they do now that shoving unneeded IP into something doesn't automatically fix it?

About a month ago I was making plans on finally seeing RoL this July. After watching several videos of this version, I can say that it really isn't worth my time. Sure RoL lacked a good finale, but at least it flowed.

This is like some amateur making a Call of Duty frag video with random things happening at points. But wait, that's an amateur and that's fine...
Call Of Duty? I don't see any call of Call of Duty in there! All I see is Disney Animation and Disney Nature Footage. There's still some ROL music in there, DAK didn't go with all IP footage and Music.

Kman101

Umm.... isn’t that exactly what they said about ROL? Yeah if this is the same team, I would be concerned that we will be getting ROL 2.0 at Epcot.

I think I misread or misunderstand the context I was replying to. I guess, phrased this way, I can see why folks would have concerns and I get it.

wdwfan22

Because of the IP? (EDIT: not being snarky, genuinely curious to know what made it more entertaining, I really did try and have an open mind but I remain utterly disappointed, unfortunately)

Meanwhile I loved the Lion King tree of life awakening. That is how you include IP without it feeling forced. IMO

Yeah I thought the IP added. Little something to it. The show still doesn’t flow great but as much as I wanted to like to previous version it wasn’t good. This version isn’t much better but a slight improvement

Magic Feather

Interesting politics behind this show. The “real” reason it was done was to try and make a cheap fix to a fledgling entertainment offering. However, I am expecting GSATs to be watched very closely.
Also, because it came up earlier, if I recall, Davidson is doing the IP replacement for Illuminations, with a local team doing Epcot Forever.

nickys

Premium Member
Interesting politics behind this show. The “real” reason it was done was to try and make a cheap fix to a fledgling entertainment offering. However, I am expecting GSATs to be watched very closely.
Also, because it came up earlier, if I recall, Davidson is doing the IP replacement for Illuminations, with a local team doing Epcot Forever.

GSATs? Please translate! :)

JohnD

The only power we have is the power of not seeing it. I went to a showing each night of the last show when I was at AK late in the day. I do not plan on ever seeing this in person.

If there's one thing they pay attention to it's attendance statistics

I went beck to WDW MLK weekend and last week in April. Both with intentions to see it. Then on both occasions I switched up plans and never got around to it. I figured I wasn’t missing anything.

EricsBiscuit

I’ve always enjoyed RoL. The problem with the show for many has nothing to do with if it has IP or not. No matter how good a story it has, the show plays all it’s cards too early and just repeats it. No addition of IP could solve this. If they wanted to fix RoL, they should have added fireworks that don’t explode, more pyro and more lasers. Give the story some more tools to communicate it’s message, not complicate it further.

TTA94

Saw it tonight and, I’m sorry it was terrible! The original was much better and that not saying much. The giant mist screen wasn’t connecting together resulting in not being able to see the images. The intro is horrible and they axed the pre show. The lotus no longer slowly floating out and no more animals shadows on the trees and sounds. So sad. I mean they would have been soo much better off doing a full Lion King show. It could have been really epic starting the show out with Circle of Life and such.

I hope RoL gets axed and completely remade for the 50th in 2021. It’s just bad and I hope people speak out about this new version.

Last edited by a moderator:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Change the rear screen technology. The Fantasmic mist screen tech took a long time to perfect and with good reason. Evenly distributed water surface. You can’t aim two fire hoses (for want of a better word) into a void and expect the same result.

Until this happens the show is fundamentally flawed. You can’t attempt to tell a story - any story - if there’s no guarantee you will be able to actually tell the story. Let alone the other mistakes.

MrPromey

Put me in the category of "can I watch this without going in and sitting down??" At night I like to walk around and have a beer, not sit in a seat looking back at a long concession line wishing I had a beer (aka Fantasmic).

Honestly, all these nighttime shows that now only work from specific locations that fill up or are hard to get into annoy me.

As nice as the new show at the MK is, you used to be able to watch all the old ones from many points in the park. Sure, not always the best viewing but you could see something going on pretty much the whole time. For kids, especially, it was still a great fireworks show, even if the big shells didn't look like they were going off right over the castle or some of the story was lost.

Fantasyland was actually kind of cool with it seeming to go on all around you.

They did all that work to expand the hub only to throw a show in there that turns all the new added space into an even worse, more uncomfortable, and more dangerous situation now that that's the only place you're really meant to view it from with all the reliance on projection and lower pyro for so much more of the show.

Don't even get me started on the short-lived FastPass viewing area that would have at least helped this situation before they turned it into a private up-charge space.

Same with the Hollywood Studios show (not to mention Fantasmic which somehow doesn't need a stadium at DL). With what they've done eating away at the shoreline viewing areas over the years in Epcot, I wonder if the only good viewing space going forward with the new show will be between Port of Entry and Disney Traders.

I know I got off-track but my point with this show is again with the specific seating.

Why?

If they didn't want to open enough waterfront and create something with at least close to 360 viewing, why put something out there in a place where people walking can see and hear that they're missing something they can't fully watch?

Then again, maybe it's good it hasn't been that much of a hit.

Just find it very frustrating that while attendance continues to go up and crowds continue to get worse due to various factors, that they continue to put out these shows that either exclude people due to capacity in specifically designated spaces or cram people into specific viewing areas, only.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Honestly, all these nighttime shows that now only work from specific locations that fill up or are hard to get into annoys me.

Ss nice as the new show at the MK is, you used to be able to watch all the old ones from many points in the park. Sure, not always the best viewing but you could see something going on pretty much the whole time. For kids especially, it was still a great fireworks show, even if the big shells didn't look like they were going off right over the castle or some of the story was lost. Fantasyland was actually kind of cool with it seeming to go on all around you.

They did all that work to expand the hub only to throw a show in there that turns all the new added space into an even worse, more uncomfortable, and more dangerous situation now that that's the only place you're really meant to view it from with all the reliance on projection and lower pyro for so much more of the show.

Don't even get me started on the short-lived FastPass viewing area that would have at least helped this situation before they turned it into a private up-charge space.

Same with the Hollywood Studios show (not to mention Fantasmic which somehow doesn't need a stadium at DL) and with what they've done eating away at the shoreline viewing areas over the years in Epcot, I wonder if the only good viewing space going forward with the new show is going to be between Port of Entry and Disney Traders.

Just find it very frustrating that while attendance continues to go up and crowds continue to get worse due to various factors, that they continue to put out these shows that either exclude people due to capacity in specifically designated spaces or cram people into specific viewing areas, only.
Very good point. Disneyland coined it the “Davidson effect” after the producer of Remember.... Dreams Come True which was hub-centric and caused operational nightmares (and also saw “alternate” show viewing at iasw and Frontierland). Disneyland had seen something similar with Believe but nothing like Remember.

The Fantasy in the Skies were best viewed with the quintessential castle in view but as you said could be appreciated from other areas. Wishes was more demanding with seeing the castle but it wasn’t a must. Sorcery dictated the viewing area due to the back of the GMR being closed for safety, but Laserphonic Fantasy was created in the round compared to New World and Lumiere for very good reason.

MrPromey

Very good point. Disneyland coined it the “Davidson effect” after the producer of Remember.... Dreams Come True which was hub-centric and caused operational nightmares (and also saw “alternate” show viewing at iasw and Frontierland). Disneyland had seen something similar with Believe but nothing like Remember.

The Fantasy in the Skies were best viewed with the quintessential castle in view but as you said could be appreciated from other areas. Wishes was more demanding with seeing the castle but it wasn’t a must. Sorcery dictated the viewing area due to the back of the GMR being closed for safety, but Laserphonic Fantasy was created in the round compared to New World and Lumiere for very good reason.

I get the reasons for Sorcery and I understand that this park (like AK) wasn't really designed for a nightime show so compromises had to be made but before that area became all about projections and blocking into what could be seen just on those buildings, the viewing space was still larger than it is, now... and to accommodate the new show, they had to build those two damn towers that limit viewing of a show that already has limited viewing area, even more! :mad:

Deep breath...

I remember going to see the new show for the first time at the MK and being packed in somewhere off to the right (facing the castle) right by a cast member directing people through a path in the crowd towards the front. In the last ten minutes, they began to back-fill that path through the crowd with people, removing any clear way to exit the packed-in hoard at all.

I asked him where he was supposed to go now that there was nowhere for him to move and he said "You see that railing?" pointing over to the area around the very center of the hub where the trees once were) "I'll climb over it into the bushes when the show starts and then come back out to help direct people again once it's over".

I commented that this setup didn't seem safe and he just said, "It's like this every night, now".

And It has been, pretty much every time I've been back, since.

When the show is over, and that packed-in crowd needs to disperse, there is hardly room to move with everyone trying to go a different direction to find a way out of it.

Just don't get how this kind of a thing is an improvement in anyone's mind. From what you've said, it sounds like WDI should know better, even if TDO doesn't.

As I mentioned before, maybe it's a good thing if ROL never ends up being that big of a hit.

Last edited:

Po'Rich

The start of the show absolutey hurts me. A 1-2 minute block of just IP clips and music projecting on the rear screen alongside minimal (if any) lighting changes on the lotuses feels wasteful and pointless. Not to mention it destroys the momentum/pacing of the original that really, really does the beginning well with the drum beats and the dance of the spirit guides.

At least they had the smarts not to place too much IP right in the center of the show. The addition of Bear neccesities right after the cheeta hunt hurts me down inside. That doesn't work together, no matter how long you put low musical beats down between them.
I agree. I saw the show on Saturday (and I also liked the original, but thought it was lacking a bit at the end). For the first couple of minutes, I thought, “Oh no! You ruined it!” Then when the animal floats appeared and the original music started, I thought, “it’s going to be okay.”

Overall, I like what they did with the rest of the show. It builds better to a climax, and I like the more colorful graphics. However, I also thought the bare necessity part was an odd shift. I think it would have been better to extend the storm / post-storm scene a bit more and then bring in the “we are one” song only after the conflict scenes are finished.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I caught the show last night and I like it. The effects are beautiful. The ending is slightly better. I really liked the music in the original and am not a big fan of the new beginning with IP clips. They were SO hard to see on the large water screen. There was hardly any wind, yet I could barely make out what I was watching. It does help that you can see the same projection on the boat's sail, but that is so tiny and the boat moves around so not everyone can see that.

The large water screen works well with the geometric shapes, but when they play Disney clips of Brother Bear, Mulan, etc. in rapid succession it is extremely hard to make out. Someone less familiar with these films would have no clue what they're watching. The side screens were much clearer. Perhaps they should replace the large water screen with multiple smaller ones.

The new Lion King projection on the tree was superb! Absolutely gorgeous and original animations. Loved it!

dreamfinder912

I am curious to know..While it is obvious that you get a better view of the show from the Anandapur theater....How is it over by Flame Tree BBQ? Or do they close the area off during the show?

You can absolutely watch from back there, or at least could a few months ago. You can't see the projections from there though, and now that the performers are gone there won't be much of anything to see. But it is possible. I had the stuffing scared out of me by a speaker when the tiger shadow walked by in the old pre-show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom