• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

RunningKoen

They can rename it to Disney's Animal LionKingdom. I don't mind all the Lion King clips and music though, it's my weak spot :)

Last edited:

cjkeating

I have to declare myself as someone who loved Rivers of Light but appreciated it had flaws and would welcome plussing.

However I’ve just watched the show online and it is an abomination. If people were worried about the story before I literally have no idea what on earth was meant to be going on now.

GlacierGlacier

I have to declare myself as someone who loved Rivers of Light but appreciated it had flaws and would welcome plussing.

However I’ve just watched the show online and it is an abomination. If people were worried about the story before I literally have no idea what on earth was meant to be going on now.
It's like they tried making the story more understandable by adding extra narration at the beginning and end, but then stuff IP in afterwards and called it a day.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Opinion time from that guy that loved the original more than any other show at WDW 🎉

I liked the ending. I loved the original's ending, but it definitely needed a bit more of a kick at the end. The inclusion of Lion King is Ok, with the strongest part being the African chant thing and circle of life (with the projection of three pride rocks?) being the worst part of that.

Throughout the show were new lighting and projection effects, though I didn't see much (or any) new choreography of the boats themselves. For the most part they looked good, with a special praiss on the rainbow bit. But there was some over use of the rear screen, drowning out (visually) what was happening on the lagoon.

The start of the show absolutey hurts me. A 1-2 minute block of just IP clips and music projecting on the rear screen alongside minimal (if any) lighting changes on the lotuses feels wasteful and pointless. Not to mention it destroys the momentum/pacing of the original that really, really does the beginning well with the drum beats and the dance of the spirit guides.

At least they had the smarts not to place too much IP right in the center of the show. The addition of Bear neccesities right after the cheeta hunt hurts me down inside. That doesn't work together, no matter how long you put low musical beats down between them.

TL;DR: It's equal to the old show, but I'd say marginally worse. The already odd pacing is stretched out even further, the rythm of story/show is marginally improved, and some neat lighting effect patterns have been added. The finale is neat. But that IP suppository at the beginning... Blegh.

I'm still going to watch it every night I'm at AK. I'm just going to have to treat myself to the classic show's soundtrack (which is mostly untouched, just not intact in the new show) on the drive home afterwards.
Thank-you for saving me the time of typing the same exact thing!

GMTA

mnelson3

I haven’t watched the video, keeping it somewhat a surprise, but did they throw in “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” somewhere in the show?

Mikey73181

Let me start off by saying I LOVE the soundtrack for the original and listen to it a few times a week driving to work or getting the kids from school (and since we still haven’t gotten a HEA album, who knows if they’ll even release one for this)

Altho I’m sure I’ll get used to it, right now I just don’t like this one. I know a lot of it is the same, but I miss the old narration parts and the first time they sing it’s a different version and doesn’t go as long, the drums towards the end. I tried to like it, but then the finale just doesn’t do it for me.

I actually listened to it first, I took the audio from one of the YouTube videos and put it on my iPod and listened to it on my way home from work this morning. Didn’t like the changes but I said I’d watch it to see if that would change my mind, and I feel like there’s empty space where stuff used to be happening, and altho the finale is “bigger” I still wish it could have been plussed with the original ending.

flynnibus

Still bored out of my mind with this show. Can't even watch it without skipping around.

Maybe if it were a 5-8 min electric water pagent type show that was a nice boost for the evening.. but I just can't get into a full 15+mins of this kind of show.

Top Bottom