News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

gerarar

Premium Member
With all the spotlights illuminating The Tree of Life? That's how it originally was i believe.

Idk it just gives the same feeling lol

Jwhee

The new show is god awful. Looks like it was made in iMovie. Who approves this stuff?

Starts off with 2 minutes of random projections

Then goes into ROL music with TERRIBLE transitions between the old and new stuff. The transition into the finale is laughable.

Took the good songs, re recorded them with stupid lyrics.

One of the coolest parts of the old show was all the detailed and layered projection mapping sequences. This removes all of that and 90% of the show is on the flat background screens.

Overall a total abomination of a show, looks like it was made by amateurs.

aladdin2007

So the impression I get is: If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

First bird show. Now this. Okay so ROL wasn’t great but at least it was decent. But even this they managed to screw up, huh?

I would be very concerned if this is the same team that does the new Epcot show, which I thought I had read in the Epcot thread awhile back, but not sure if thats still true?

Kman101

Doesn’t really matter that there’s animated movie clips, you can’t totally see what’s on the distant water screens when the weather isn’t perfect. The pacing and emotion is the real issue and the new show does both arguably worse than the original. I do see potential for a good show here but I haven’t seen it yet.

I agree with this.

The issues exist, and honestly, they seemed to make it even more of a mess, IMHO.

I wasn't impressed.

I actually didn't hate the IP usage, but it was clunky and felt out of place in the show, IMHO.

The show has technical problems that remain. The water screens are one of the biggest issues. It's problematic and makes enjoying the projections very difficult.

While I noticed some energy in the finale, and I liked a few things, I don't think it quite comes together. For me. If anyone else likes it, more power to you.

It's just ROL lite with IP now. It's a very very loose band-aid ... I guess 5 year olds can be impressed now because they see Simba! But it sure didn't "fix" the show like so many were crowing about.

trainplane3

Ouch. Several reviews are in, including from people who’s opinion I trust.

Not good.
What will they do now that shoving unneeded IP into something doesn't automatically fix it?

About a month ago I was making plans on finally seeing RoL this July. After watching several videos of this version, I can say that it really isn't worth my time. Sure RoL lacked a good finale, but at least it flowed.

This is like some amateur making a Call of Duty frag video with random things happening at points. But wait, that's an amateur and that's fine...

Kman101

I would be very concerned if this is the same team that does the new Epcot show, which I thought I had read in the Epcot thread awhile back, but not sure if thats still true?

I'm actually not. It's not like they're shoe-horning IP into Illuminations. It will be a brand new show with amazing tech. I'm not worried even though I'm annoyed it will be an IP love fest ... sounds weird, I know. I'm meh to it but I actually don't have the same concern. ROL was a patch job. To me, makes it even more of a mess. Sigh.

They just don't get it.

wdwfan22

I thought the new show was better than the previous version. It’s still not a great show nor one that I would run to see. However it’s a tad bit more entertaining than what was previously performed.

Kman101

I thought the new show was better than the previous version. It’s still not a great show nor one that I would run to see. However it’s a tad bit more entertaining than what was previously performed.

Because of the IP? (EDIT: not being snarky, genuinely curious to know what made it more entertaining, I really did try and have an open mind but I remain utterly disappointed, unfortunately)

Meanwhile I loved the Lion King tree of life awakening. That is how you include IP without it feeling forced. IMO

Last edited:

Kman101

The only power we have is the power of not seeing it. I went to a showing each night of the last show when I was at AK late in the day. I do not plan on ever seeing this in person.

If there's one thing they pay attention to it's attendance statistics

As I watched it I felt like the guests would still complain it's boring (it does lag in a certain spot) and it remains fairly lackluster, personally. I love the ROL music and I liked what they were trying to do with the original, even if it fell a bit flat. Casuals may suddenly enjoy the Disney IP, but I'm kind of laughing that some folks still think that made it suddenly more entertaining. It really didn't, even if I didn't dislike the Lion King presence and use of Circle of Life (I found it fitting for the show, I suppose). They definitely didn't do enough and I don't think they're going to get the feedback they expected ... I can assure any exec who reads this post that guests will NOT be skipping a night at any other park to specifically come and see this show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom