The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Here is something that I think you will LOVE. :inlove: It's a walk back to 1962 . . .

A few days ago, I was blown away by how the old TWA terminal at JFK was converted into a hotel -- all retro with TWA accents, and some legit original features like the authentically restored TWA flight board in the "sunken" lounge. Wait until you see some of the amazing (preserved) features that the owner/designers highlighted in this masterpiece. By the way, many people were looking forward to staying here -- it was sold out on Day One!!

Time magazine put a (3 minute) awesome video together here (after the obligatory 1-minute commercial by another airline -- LOL ... talk about product placement? :p ) I clicked on it full screen and it was amazing--everything from the history to the recreation.

http://time.com/5589561/twa-hotel-jfk/

Absolutely BEYOND FABULOUS...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull:
I had read about this a little while back, but, this is the first I’ve seen of the finished product...thank you so very much for posting this, Minnie...!!!!! :happy::)
One of the coolest aspects, to me anyway, sounds like the bar setup in the old Lockheed “Connie”...I’m definitely up for that, as I flew in one when I was a little kiddo, and thought it was the coolest plane ever, at the time...fuselage that kinda’ resembled a dolphin shape, and other coolness...!!!!! :)
When they turned our old Bergstrom Air Force base into our new airport, the old round command building was converted into a Hilton hotel. Very beautiful, but I would have preferred they went retro, as well...

And, 1962 is one of my favorite years, as I was born on 10/20/62, albeit right smack in the middle of the Cuban Missle Crisis... :eek:but, we all know how that, fortunately, turned out...!!!!! ;)

Thanks again, Minnie, for your post...!!!!! :)

Here’s a fairly recent video of a “Connie”, that I thought you might appreciate. It’s a bit drawn out, but, I enjoyed it, and I :)hope you do too...!!!!!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I wanted to quickly check in, unfortunately I haven't had time to read all the post but will try to catch up at a later date.
My mum fell last week while going to the store, got up walked for a few minutes more and then fainted.
She regained consciousness in the ambulance, luckily she only broke her arm and is bruised all over.
I struggle with seeing my mom hurt and bruised, it's also made her feel even more insecure and a bit depressed so in total it hasn't been great. I'm back at work in London but took Friday off to go back home.
I hope everyone else is doing well.

Oy Boy! :( Your poor Mom. And poor you. It is a struggle knowing what to do and what not to do with our aging parents. Hope she heals quickly and take care of yourself too.

donaldtoo

donaldtoo

I wanted to quickly check in, unfortunately I haven't had time to read all the post but will try to catch up at a later date.
My mum fell last week while going to the store, got up walked for a few minutes more and then fainted.
She regained consciousness in the ambulance, luckily she only broke her arm and is bruised all over.
I struggle with seeing my mom hurt and bruised, it's also made her feel even more insecure and a bit depressed so in total it hasn't been great. I'm back at work in London but took Friday off to go back home.
I hope everyone else is doing well.

Oh my.
Doing fine, and thank you.
Much more concerned about your mom and yourself dealing with this.
Hope she heals quickly and that it was just a fluke situation.
Don’t worry about catching up here. Best wishes and prayers to your mother and yourself during this time.

donaldtoo

Hee hee . . . I think you and I must be kindred spirits. :happy: (I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld before, except maybe when channel surfing and saw a few minutes, here or there.)

I watched a coupla’ episodes back in the day just to see what all the hype was about, as, what seemed like everybody in the office, would always be talking about it.
To me anyway, the fact that it was so nonsensicle is what the appeal was for most. I just thought it was stupid, and they were all laughing all the way to the bank because it actually turned out to be so popular.
Although I never liked it, brilliant :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: nonetheless.

MySmallWorldof4

I have that I solemnly swear t-shirt! (I know, you're shocked, aren't you?) Did you by chance see house hoodies? I have an awesome blue Ravenclaw hoodie, but it is fraying at the edges, coming apart at the seams...it's in poor shape, so I want to replace it this summer when we are there. I hope they still have them!!!

About the lazy rivers...can you tell which one is wild before you get up to it? That would completely freak DS out. We had problems with the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon last time, or maybe it was Blizzard Beach....one of the waterparks anyway, and he was freaking out in that and it's not at all wild. I would prefer to keep him away from a rough version!!
The river with everyone wearing life vests is the crazy river. I saw house sweatshirts without hoods. I will look an see if they have ones with hoods.

MySmallWorldof4

Oh my.
Doing fine, and thank you.
Much more concerned about your mom and yourself dealing with this.
Hope she heals quickly and that it was just a fluke situation.
Don’t worry about catching up here. Best wishes and prayers to your mother and yourself during this time.
Using this quote to reply to @RedNoseMickey . So sorry to read about your mom. Prayers she will heal quickly.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Absolutely BEYOND FABULOUS...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull:
I had read about this a little while back, but, this is the first I’ve seen of the finished product...thank you so very much for posting this, Minnie...!!!!! :happy::)
One of the coolest aspects, to me anyway, sounds like the bar setup in the old Lockheed “Connie”...I’m definitely up for that, as I flew in one when I was a little kiddo, and thought it was the coolest plane ever, at the time...fuselage that kinda’ resembled a dolphin shape, and other coolness...!!!!! :)
When they turned our old Bergstrom Air Force base into our new airport, the old round command building was converted into a Hilton hotel. Very beautiful, but I would have preferred they went retro, as well...

And, 1962 is one of my favorite years, as I was born on 10/20/62, albeit right smack in the middle of the Cuban Missle Crisis... :eek:but, we all know how that, fortunately, turned out...!!!!! ;)

Thanks again, Minnie, for your post...!!!!! :)

Here’s a fairly recent video of a “Connie”, that I thought you might appreciate. It’s a bit drawn out, but, I enjoyed it, and I :)hope you do too...!!!!!

Yea! I KNEW you'd like that TWA video!! :joyfull: :joyfull: And yes, the bar in the "Connie" was just genius -- what a cool idea they had for that!! :cool:

That's fun that you were born in 1962 -- a lot went on that year, apparently. Nothing like being born in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis! :p

I liked the video of the Hilton -- in the round command building at the site of the old airport. Impressive -- what's old, is NEW again!! I really respect the fact that it wasn't just torn down, but that creative business people saw the value of keeping, while repurposing, the attractive structure. I'd like to see more of this done around the country. (Side note: I always have this thing about Hiltons to begin with--never been in a Hilton I didn't like.)

Now, as for the Connie "start-up" video -- all i can say is WOW! It wasn't drawn out for me -- I was mesmerized watching each engine start up, prop by prop, with the visuals and sound. What a BEAUTY. I particularly liked when the fire sparks came out of one of the engines! :hilarious: Man, it doesn't get much better than that, now does it?! Oh, I also noticed the long roll out prior to take-off as well.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks for all the wedding well wishes! It was a good day albeit a strange one. We had no input into planning (nor did they ask for any money). And they definitely did it their way! Me being the stepmom definitely felt like the odd man out, but it’s just one day and I can suck it up buttercup! Here a few pictures.

View attachment 373352
View attachment 373353

That is such a lovely, country setting for a wedding ceremony. Thanks for sharing your picture and congratulations to the bride and groom, and to the family as well.

donaldtoo

Yea! I KNEW you'd like that TWA video!! :joyfull: :joyfull: And yes, the bar in the "Connie" was just genius -- what a cool idea they had for that!! :cool:

That's fun that you were born in 1962 -- a lot went on that year, apparently. Nothing like being born in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis! :p

I liked the video of the Hilton -- in the round command building at the site of the old airport. Impressive -- what's old, is NEW again!! I really respect the fact that it wasn't just torn down, but that creative business people saw the value of keeping, while repurposing, the attractive structure. I'd like to see more of this done around the country. (Side note: I always have this thing about Hiltons to begin with--never been in a Hilton I didn't like.)

Now, as for the Connie "start-up" video -- all i can say is WOW! It wasn't drawn out for me -- I was mesmerized watching each engine start up, prop by prop, with the visuals and sound. What a BEAUTY. I particularly liked when the fire sparks came out of one of the engines! :hilarious: Man, it doesn't get much better than that, now does it?! Oh, I also noticed the long roll out prior to take-off as well.

I’m so glad they did that with the old TWA terminal, and really want to stay there at some point...what an awesome tribute to those years gone by...!!!!! :happy:

During the Cuban Missle Crisis my pop tried to keep my mom away from the news (in a loving way, as he didn’t want her worrying), but, obviously, it was being talked about everywhere.
They wondered if there would be a world left to bring a child into if things went the other way...anyway, 56+ years later and my ol’ beeeeeeehind is still around...!!!!!!! :joyfull:;):)

Yes, Hilton did a really good job with the command center conversion. IIRC, the big round atrium/lobby was actually outdoor space, and the Hilton architects actually incorporated it into the interior of the structure...although, as I posted, I wish they would have gone retro with it all, it is, indeed, still a beautiful hotel...!!!!! :)

So glad you liked the “Connie” video...!!!!! :)
I’ve watched it a few times since I posted it, and I’m still fascinated by it...such a beautiful aircraft...!!!!!!! :inlove::geek:;):)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom