Done they were. Lied they did.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Oh man, I guess D&D are the lesser of two evils, but after the dumpster fire that is season 8 of thrones I don’t trust them one bit to martial Star Wars successfully.

Darkprime

Oh man, I guess D&D are the lesser of two evils, but after the dumpster fire that is season 8 of thrones I don’t trust them one bit to martial Star Wars successfully.

I would still take GoT Season 8 over TLJ. All tho I actually think TLJ will grow on fans as time goes on. People seem to forget or dont know cause they wern't born yet but Empire Strikes Back was a little divisive when it 1st came out before its reached its almost legendary film status.

Mike S

I would still take GoT Season 8 over TLJ. All tho I actually think TLJ will grow on fans as time goes on. People seem to forget or dont know cause they wern't born yet but Empire Strikes Back was a little divisive when it 1st came out before its reached its almost legendary film status.
The people that liked ESB were the people growing up with it. The critics that didn’t like it probably still don’t like it, are senile now, or are just dead.

That’s what I always thought anyway.

Money wise though ESB did respectably well compared to its predecessor which is a pretty good way to see it wasn’t really that divisive compared to what happened with TLJ.

Tony Perkis

The people that liked ESB were the people growing up with it. The critics that didn’t like it probably still don’t like it, are senile now, or are just dead.

That’s what I always thought anyway.
The perception of the film changed, and that included amongst its initial critics.

Mike S

The perception of the film changed, and that included amongst its initial critics.
Some people may have changed their opinion on it but I think the overall change in perception has a lot to do with how technology advanced to the point where all the people who initially liked it were given a bigger voice. Right now everyone has a voice and lines were drawn in the sand. TLJ will always be very divisive imo.

Tony Perkis

Some people may have changed their opinion on it but I think the overall change in perception has a lot to do with how technology advanced to the point where all the people who initially liked it were given a bigger voice. Right now everyone has a voice and lines were drawn in the sand. TLJ will always be very divisive imo.
Making a declaration today about views regarding film in 30+ years is short-sided and should be avoided.

Additionally, I just saw your edit.

ESB has a massive drop off compared to SW. $460m to $290m unadjusted domestically in a completely different era of the theatre experience.

Mike S

Making a declaration today about views regarding film in 30+ years is short-sided and should be avoided.

Additionally, I just saw your edit.

ESB has a massive drop off compared to SW. $460m to $290m unadjusted domestically in a completely different era of the theatre experience.
I was talking worldwide.

$700 million is much more massive of a drop.

Tony Perkis

I was talking worldwide.

$700 million is much more massive of a drop.

We’ve had this discussion. I think discounting domestic vs. international disparities over-simplifies things and provides convenient but unreliable reasons as to why something performed poorly at one location vs. another.

Mike S

We’ve had this discussion. I think discounting domestic vs. international disparities over-simplifies things and provides convenient but unreliable reasons as to why something performed poorly at one location vs. another.
What would the drop between ANH and ESB be in today’s dollars? I wonder if it would still seem lower or higher. Both domestic and worldwide.

Tony Perkis

What would the drop between ANH and ESB be in today’s dollars? I wonder if it would still seem lower or higher. Both domestic and worldwide.
Star Wars would have made $1.6b adjusted domestically.

ESB would have made $885m adjusted domestically.

Worldwide is harder to get due to international inflation being different based on location.

jt04

Worldwide is harder to get due to international inflation being different based on location.

Quite a drop. And yes people's immediate response was the sequel is always a step down. History has decided otherwise. ROTJ was the best of the OT IMO.

Can't wait for Dec and 2022.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Not surprising. Iger has been constantly saying that D+ is the company's #1 priority and all units will be bent towards making that happen. LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar are all contributing and so will every other studio to the best of their ability.

And that's even before buying and ordering shows from third party production companies like Netflix does.

prberk

Regarding Empire Strikes Back: I was around at the time and entering high school -- and full geekdom. I was a movie nerd. I remember clearly that most people, critics included, liked Empire a lot. It was sharply photographed and pushed the envelope in a lot of ways. What was divisive, though, was, unlike Star Wars (a/k/a "A New Hope," which NO ONE called that), it was a cliffhanger, and thus not a complete story within itself. People hated that they were left hanging. And, although part of a series, I think many thought that any film should itself be a story with a beginning, middle, and end. On the other hand, most critics and fans remembered that Star Wars (the saga) itself was a paean to the old sci-fi movie serials, and thus it was most appropriate now that its success could financially fuel a full series (and no risk of leaving off without a conclusion), they could now do a real cliff-hanger, like the old sci-fi serials did. So, for many it made sense. But not for everyone.

Regarding Disney+: While new content is also clearly important for a modern audience, for me the main thing I will be looking for is archival content, like Vault Disney used to show. There are many classic Disney movies (not just animated) and television shows I would love to have available on it.

Mike S

giphy.gif

Shows how big the original Star Wars actually was. ESB also isn’t that far off from TFA when adjusted so even though it’s a big drop a ton of people still went to see it.

On the Disney + show I could see it being Rian Johnson to make up for losing his trilogy. If he did in fact lose it.

Tom P.

I like The Force Awakens, but I think it has its flaws, the biggest of which is keeping Luke Skywalker out of it.

I also enjoyed The Last Jedi the one time I saw it in theaters, but I recognize its way, way bigger flaws.

I am hoping that Abrams will do a decent job working with what he's got and tying things up well in The Rise of Skywalker.

However, J.J. Abrams took a big crap all over my beloved Star Trek franchise and did more to ruin it, IMHO, than anyone else who has ever been involved with it.

So I have my doubts.

Tom P.

I love that idea

Young padawan

J. Michael Straczynski. Created Babylon 5....you’ll see it referenced in print as B5...

It was maybe the quintessential sci fi series of the 90’s renaissance that got us to today.

Star Trek next generation and DS9 were wonderfully written and acted shows....but they were episodic. B5 was the first series that follow a central storyline... pre thought out and interwoven.

It was revolutionary. And I just read an article a couple weeks back that said there would be no game of thrones without B5.

That is what Star Wars needs. It’s not like Disney isn’t scoring billions of dollars of box office on comic book movies built that way 😉
Next Generation was definitely episodic through and through. DS9 started out that way, and you're right that it did not have a pre-thought out arc in the way that B5 did, but I think you're doing it a disservice in your description.

Once Ira Steven Behr took over the writers room, DS9 became heavily serialized and arc-driven to the point where by season 7, it was almost entirely serialized. Heck, the final ten episodes of the series are even listed on Netflix as being parts 1 through 10 of a single episode.

I agree B5 did a great deal to set the stage for a lot of what was to come in serialized storytelling. But I think DS9 had a major impact as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom