Avengers Endgame Spoiler Discussion

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Admittedly - I’m a Cap guy. And I loved what they did there. Relieving the tortured backstory of that character really works for me.

I’m gonna get flamed for this - but I loved how they handled black widow too. I appreciate Johansson - she was great in winter soldier - but I think it was time.

You had to know about Downey when Iger thanked him specifically before the premier. No need to thank anyone individually unless...read between the lines.

I also think he had been played out. Disney has to guard against Johnny Depp syndrome with its franchises now...really diminishes the longevity of franchises when you keep going the same routes with the characters. So that’s ok too.

Longterm...mcu has been an amazing run...but I think it’s legit to expect a bit of a decline. All good things.
As much as I hate to say it you’re right. What a send off. The greatest superhero movie of all time!

Mike S

When Tony saw Peter again that was pure joy to watch, Tony dying yea I will admit I cried I may be a grown *** man but there were tears, also there were 3 girls sitting next to me and they were sobbing their hearts out over that scene that didn't make it any easier for me.
As for Thor, I had no problem with how he was, he was wallowing in self pity he knew he was the reason for the snap, and so he just shut himself away and drank and ate to make himself feel better, he explains it to his mother saying he cut his head off but he knew it was a worthless act as there was nothing that at the time could be done to erase what had happened he really just needed someone to talk to to let it all out, as for leaving Asgard yea I can see that after the events he still feels lost and has no real purpose, he doesn't really want to rule as he is really more about the action so giving Valkyrie the Throne make sense as he knows she will do a better job than him.

They did such a good job of bringing everyone back and filming scenes from alternate angles.

Seeing Cap use Mjolnir was awesome to see and that final fight just damn, in the end we lost 4 people, Loki, Vision, Natasha (booo) and Tony (inevitable but boooooooooooooooooooo)
Gamora’s also gone. It’s not the same Gamora now.

Also new Thor was Chris’s idea.
Still not sure how I feel about it. Sure he gets depressed but I think all the jokes went overboard.

Ripken10

The characters the Russos handled best (with the exception of Vision and Thanos) were human. With the Guardians, I think James Gunn was able to give some good input, but Thor and Hulk/Bruce seemed out of their range. Now granted, these are the two characters we’ll probably see in cameos in the future, or in Avengers 5 (we know it will happen at some point).

I just realized who Professor Hulk reminded me of: the Monster post-brain transfer towards the end of Young Frankenstein. I sat in that theater for like 3 hours with a feeling of familiarity, that’s it.
Can't speak for all, but our theater seemed to respond very well to how Thor was portrayed. It seemed to be the most talked about besides the obvious.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Gamora’s also gone. It’s not the same Gamora now.

Also new Thor was Chris’s idea.
Still not sure how I feel about it. Sure he gets depressed but I think all the jokes went overboard.
Still had the Ragnarok feel to it, but I get it. He was going through it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So you're saying they might breakeven after just it's opening weekend;-)

Yes...and it will make a great haul both domestically and internationally.

But this is where we need to start learning how to reinterpret the box charts. They flame out fast.

So “legs” are more important now than ever. If a film gets a $1 Billion gross in 3 weeks... and ends at $1.2 total...it won’t resonate longterm.

The early returns are so bloated.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Records smashed

WDWmazprty

I didn’t love the Thor portrayal...but a lot of the people that I talked to that saw the movie did. So it must hit a nerve. Good move I guess

yeah, i would have loved to see him return to his old self at some point in the movie. But it was more real the way they portrayed him..depressed, not caring about anything, and it showed physically

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Another problem/ question... how is Peter Parker’s friend still in high school 5 years later?? 🤔
It looks like Peter, Ned, MJ, Flash, and whoever else goes on that Eurotrip in a couple months were all snapped, so there’s the interesting dynamic of some of their friends being in college, while they’re still in high school.

Unrelated to any of that, but I want to just say how much I appreciate Thor’s golden locks making a comeback, even if they look a little on the grungey side. That final battle look for him. 😙👌🏼

Mike S

It looks like Peter, Ned, MJ, Flash, and whoever else goes on that Eurotrip in a couple months were all snapped, so there’s the interesting dynamic of some of their friends being in college, while they’re still in high school.

Unrelated to any of that, but I want to just say how much I appreciate Thor’s golden locks making a comeback, even if they look a little on the grungey side. That final battle look for him. 😙👌🏼
The final battle look was BA as all hell. His beard in a braid made him look like a Viking.

WhatJaneSays

Me on the drive to work this morning:

giphy.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
My least favorite Marvel movie

They should have just named it "Back to the Future 4"

My gripes
- Sorry, I've never connected with Hawkeye... I know he puts his family first and loses them... but I never feel compassion for him. His weird relationship with Natasha... he acts like a loyal solider in one film, off the hook the next, etc. They try to make him such a central character but I feel the least attachment and buy-in for him
- Every problem people had with Captain Marvel... they repeated and were even worse for her in this film. Continuity? Oh we'll just pop her in and out and say 'she was busy'. Girl Power flaunting? That group moment in the big battle.. so forced. The haircut? Why go butch... so random. Mary Sue? Again she just is nearly invincible... until she's not.. and then she is.. and just pops in and out without any real purpose. Total bolt-on character
- The whole premise of grab the stones... use them here.. but then have to send them back... meh.. didn't work for me. Why does it have to be some 'exact moment' and all this secrecy... and then... all that gets thrown away.. and yet, no impact?
- The connected minds thing that tips thanos off... meh.. normally I'll give you one or two passes of blind faith.. but this film overdrew on that account
- The 'see the person in your past that you've been dying to see again..' thing.. WAY too cliche and played out... but they do it.. not once.. but three or four times? Again.. do it once or twice.. but to watch what seems like EVERYONE go through the same predictable thing over and over.. ugh. This is where the movie's runtime should have been shortened
- Why is Thanos WITHOUT any infinity stones basically just as powerful as Thanos WITH infinity stones?
- Every other film... people can't touch infinity stones without something dramatic or life altering happening. Here? They are often handled like pieces of candy... anyone can hold or pass them around without any consequence.
- The entire 'ah ha!' moment when Stark steals the stones... was just 'too easy' to make any sense to me. 1) Stones going INTO the gauntlet is like... dramatic boom moments... even when thanos removes one.. big deal. Here... Stark pulls them ALL OUT without any tell and Thanos can't even tell? Does not compute
- We get this big deal about creating a gauntlet for the stones... and what it means to wear it (remember the first gauntlet even had to be forged by the rarity of the forge that made thor's hammer... by the power of a supernova)... and here the Avengers make one in the lab? Oh.. and then Tony makes ANOTHER with his nano-tech suit... during the battle no less?

- Half the universe is back after FIVE YEARS and basically limited government... and nearly right away everyone is back in high school high fiving? rly?

This film suffers from tired cliches... easy cop outs... repeating itself.. and disrespects challenges the MCU built up themselves.

The humor in the film didn't land nearly as well as other films... Thor was the only one I think that worked more often than not.

It really felt like they had to come up with a way to get closure.. but instead of having a reveal of their big plot.. they instead had to come up with one and it was not good.

Can we at least come up with something better than the classic Star Trek time travel fix?

Mike S

My least favorite Marvel movie

They should have just named it "Back to the Future 4"

My gripes
- Sorry, I've never connected with Hawkeye... I know he puts his family first and loses them... but I never feel compassion for him. His weird relationship with Natasha... he acts like a loyal solider in one film, off the hook the next, etc. They try to make him such a central character but I feel the least attachment and buy-in for him
- Every problem people had with Captain Marvel... they repeated and were even worse for her in this film. Continuity? Oh we'll just pop her in and out and say 'she was busy'. Girl Power flaunting? That group moment in the big battle.. so forced. The haircut? Why go butch... so random. Mary Sue? Again she just is nearly invincible... until she's not.. and then she is.. and just pops in and out without any real purpose. Total bolt-on character
- The whole premise of grab the stones... use them here.. but then have to send them back... meh.. didn't work for me. Why does it have to be some 'exact moment' and all this secrecy... and then... all that gets thrown away.. and yet, no impact?
- The connected minds thing that tips thanos off... meh.. normally I'll give you one or two passes of blind faith.. but this film overdrew on that account
- The 'see the person in your past that you've been dying to see again..' thing.. WAY too cliche and played out... but they do it.. not once.. but three or four times? Again.. do it once or twice.. but to watch what seems like EVERYONE go through the same predictable thing over and over.. ugh. This is where the movie's runtime should have been shortened
- Why is Thanos WITHOUT any infinity stones basically just as powerful as Thanos WITH infinity stones?
- Every other film... people can't touch infinity stones without something dramatic or life altering happening. Here? They are often handled like pieces of candy... anyone can hold or pass them around without any consequence.
- The entire 'ah ha!' moment when Stark steals the stones... was just 'too easy' to make any sense to me. 1) Stones going INTO the gauntlet is like... dramatic boom moments... even when thanos removes one.. big deal. Here... Stark pulls them ALL OUT without any tell and Thanos can't even tell? Does not compute
- We get this big deal about creating a gauntlet for the stones... and what it means to wear it (remember the first gauntlet even had to be forged by the rarity of the forge that made thor's hammer... by the power of a supernova)... and here the Avengers make one in the lab? Oh.. and then Tony makes ANOTHER with his nano-tech suit... during the battle no less?

- Half the universe is back after FIVE YEARS and basically limited government... and nearly right away everyone is back in high school high fiving? rly?

This film suffers from tired cliches... easy cop outs... repeating itself.. and disrespects challenges the MCU built up themselves.

The humor in the film didn't land nearly as well as other films... Thor was the only one I think that worked more often than not.

It really felt like they had to come up with a way to get closure.. but instead of having a reveal of their big plot.. they instead had to come up with one and it was not good.

Can we at least come up with something better than the classic Star Trek time travel fix?
Just to explain one thing only the Power Stone ever had devastating effects by simply touching it.

I’m a bit bothered by how they made their own glove as well. They could’ve easily just made it so they got one from the same place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom