Avengers Endgame Spoiler Discussion

Mike S

Why does the Soul Stone take a life to get from 'storage', but once there it can be handed around freely?
The ether was super dangerous too..
The price of the soul stone was the sacrifice, nothing more. They didn’t touch the Aether. It was extracted by Rocket with that device and kept in there. How it goes from liquid to solid though is anyone’s guess. They never explain that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh and I forgot... we go through all this how time travel is hard... they have these gps bracelets... etc... Nebula swaps out for future Nebula.. so she should have the bracelet and one juice bottle.. then somehow from avengers HQ she 'hacks' the console.. and somehow opens a portal from the other side... with no pym juice or hands on (even if she scanned new Nebula's memory).

How does she pull something from the past into the future that up till then, required so much more??

More of these 'easy shortcuts' in this flick IMO...

Princess Leia

Original Poster
My least favorite Marvel movie

They should have just named it "Back to the Future 4"

My gripes
- Sorry, I've never connected with Hawkeye... I know he puts his family first and loses them... but I never feel compassion for him. His weird relationship with Natasha... he acts like a loyal solider in one film, off the hook the next, etc. They try to make him such a central character but I feel the least attachment and buy-in for him
- Every problem people had with Captain Marvel... they repeated and were even worse for her in this film. Continuity? Oh we'll just pop her in and out and say 'she was busy'. Girl Power flaunting? That group moment in the big battle.. so forced. The haircut? Why go butch... so random. Mary Sue? Again she just is nearly invincible... until she's not.. and then she is.. and just pops in and out without any real purpose. Total bolt-on character
- The whole premise of grab the stones... use them here.. but then have to send them back... meh.. didn't work for me. Why does it have to be some 'exact moment' and all this secrecy... and then... all that gets thrown away.. and yet, no impact?
- The connected minds thing that tips thanos off... meh.. normally I'll give you one or two passes of blind faith.. but this film overdrew on that account
- The 'see the person in your past that you've been dying to see again..' thing.. WAY too cliche and played out... but they do it.. not once.. but three or four times? Again.. do it once or twice.. but to watch what seems like EVERYONE go through the same predictable thing over and over.. ugh. This is where the movie's runtime should have been shortened
- Why is Thanos WITHOUT any infinity stones basically just as powerful as Thanos WITH infinity stones?
- Every other film... people can't touch infinity stones without something dramatic or life altering happening. Here? They are often handled like pieces of candy... anyone can hold or pass them around without any consequence.
- The entire 'ah ha!' moment when Stark steals the stones... was just 'too easy' to make any sense to me. 1) Stones going INTO the gauntlet is like... dramatic boom moments... even when thanos removes one.. big deal. Here... Stark pulls them ALL OUT without any tell and Thanos can't even tell? Does not compute
- We get this big deal about creating a gauntlet for the stones... and what it means to wear it (remember the first gauntlet even had to be forged by the rarity of the forge that made thor's hammer... by the power of a supernova)... and here the Avengers make one in the lab? Oh.. and then Tony makes ANOTHER with his nano-tech suit... during the battle no less?

- Half the universe is back after FIVE YEARS and basically limited government... and nearly right away everyone is back in high school high fiving? rly?

This film suffers from tired cliches... easy cop outs... repeating itself.. and disrespects challenges the MCU built up themselves.

The humor in the film didn't land nearly as well as other films... Thor was the only one I think that worked more often than not.

It really felt like they had to come up with a way to get closure.. but instead of having a reveal of their big plot.. they instead had to come up with one and it was not good.

Can we at least come up with something better than the classic Star Trek time travel fix?
Carol’s haircut is comic canon, so I actually got a little giddy seeing it 🤷🏼‍♀️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My least favorite Marvel movie

They should have just named it "Back to the Future 4"

My gripes
- Sorry, I've never connected with Hawkeye... I know he puts his family first and loses them... but I never feel compassion for him. His weird relationship with Natasha... he acts like a loyal solider in one film, off the hook the next, etc. They try to make him such a central character but I feel the least attachment and buy-in for him
- Every problem people had with Captain Marvel... they repeated and were even worse for her in this film. Continuity? Oh we'll just pop her in and out and say 'she was busy'. Girl Power flaunting? That group moment in the big battle.. so forced. The haircut? Why go butch... so random. Mary Sue? Again she just is nearly invincible... until she's not.. and then she is.. and just pops in and out without any real purpose. Total bolt-on character
- The whole premise of grab the stones... use them here.. but then have to send them back... meh.. didn't work for me. Why does it have to be some 'exact moment' and all this secrecy... and then... all that gets thrown away.. and yet, no impact?
- The connected minds thing that tips thanos off... meh.. normally I'll give you one or two passes of blind faith.. but this film overdrew on that account
- The 'see the person in your past that you've been dying to see again..' thing.. WAY too cliche and played out... but they do it.. not once.. but three or four times? Again.. do it once or twice.. but to watch what seems like EVERYONE go through the same predictable thing over and over.. ugh. This is where the movie's runtime should have been shortened
- Why is Thanos WITHOUT any infinity stones basically just as powerful as Thanos WITH infinity stones?
- Every other film... people can't touch infinity stones without something dramatic or life altering happening. Here? They are often handled like pieces of candy... anyone can hold or pass them around without any consequence.
- The entire 'ah ha!' moment when Stark steals the stones... was just 'too easy' to make any sense to me. 1) Stones going INTO the gauntlet is like... dramatic boom moments... even when thanos removes one.. big deal. Here... Stark pulls them ALL OUT without any tell and Thanos can't even tell? Does not compute
- We get this big deal about creating a gauntlet for the stones... and what it means to wear it (remember the first gauntlet even had to be forged by the rarity of the forge that made thor's hammer... by the power of a supernova)... and here the Avengers make one in the lab? Oh.. and then Tony makes ANOTHER with his nano-tech suit... during the battle no less?

- Half the universe is back after FIVE YEARS and basically limited government... and nearly right away everyone is back in high school high fiving? rly?

This film suffers from tired cliches... easy cop outs... repeating itself.. and disrespects challenges the MCU built up themselves.

The humor in the film didn't land nearly as well as other films... Thor was the only one I think that worked more often than not.

It really felt like they had to come up with a way to get closure.. but instead of having a reveal of their big plot.. they instead had to come up with one and it was not good.

Can we at least come up with something better than the classic Star Trek time travel fix?

I’m
Curious as to what you believe to be the best 3 marvel films??

Mike S

Oh and I forgot... we go through all this how time travel is hard... they have these gps bracelets... etc... Nebula swaps out for future Nebula.. so she should have the bracelet and one juice bottle.. then somehow from avengers HQ she 'hacks' the console.. and somehow opens a portal from the other side... with no pym juice or hands on (even if she scanned new Nebula's memory).

How does she pull something from the past into the future that up till then, required so much more??

More of these 'easy shortcuts' in this flick IMO...
Past Nebula stole the bracelet and Pym juice from future Nebula and gave it to past Thanos. She hacked the console to track his ship and bring him in. Did you miss that?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Past Nebula stole the bracelet and Pym juice from future Nebula and gave it to past Thanos. She hacked the console to track his ship and bring him in. Did you miss that?

So if she gives the stuff to thanos... how does SHE get back? That was my hangup... if the braclet is what lets them jump back.. and they need juice to jump. How does that stay with thanos in the past?

I mean.. if it just means having someone at the console to bring someone from the past to the future... just leave one person behind and all the drama over getting back would go away.

Mike S

So if she gives the stuff to thanos... how does SHE get back? That was my hangup... if the braclet is what lets them jump back.. and they need juice to jump. How does that stay with thanos in the past?

I mean.. if it just means having someone at the console to bring someone from the past to the future... just leave one person behind and all the drama over getting back would go away.
Time travel logic.

I also wish they reversed the snap in a different way just to avoid this confusion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Time travel logic.

I also wish they reversed the snap in a different way just to avoid this confusion.
This is what I meant yesterday about escapism...

You don’t overanalyze to enjoy the first pumps and tears...that’s what endures for years.

The reason Star Wars and Star Trek lasted was from the character moments - not quantum dynamics

If you google geek this stuff too hard...you end up miserable

Mike S

This is what I meant yesterday about escapism...

You don’t overanalyze to enjoy the first pumps and tears...that’s what endures for years.

The reason Star Wars and Star Trek lasted was from the character moments - not quantum dynamics

If you google geek this stuff too hard...you end up miserable
Must’ve skipped past that one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a comic book movie... not science fiction. It doesn't need to be factual - but it does need to be CONSISTENT and credible to the viewer that this makes sense.

It's the MCU - they make their own rules... but if you want people to buy-in and follow along.. you have to be CONVINCING that it all makes sense in their universe.

When that breaks down... the suspension of disbelief is broken and contradiction becomes distracting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom