The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Update on the bullying at DD's school. She and her friend R went to their mentor and explained what was going on with A and her friends and what they were doing to L. The mentor said that they were aware there were issues and A's mentor was already on the case, but that she will certainly pass on the information DD and R gave her. I don't know how they will handle it, but it's good to know they are already discussing what to do about it.

StarWarsGirl

We are going tomorrow night, just have to avoid any spoilers until then. We would have gone tonight but my husband had to umpire a softball game.
I considered going tonight since yesterday sold out like lightning, but by Fridays I'm exhausted, so probably the next movie I'll see on a Friday is Star Wars. And Saturday for Avengers.
I totally understand, love the scroll wheel. Sometimes I use a laptop at school at work that has a touchpad for the "mouse" but no real right or left click button and I hate it and feel totally lost.

You can go into your mouse settings and change your settings to get a right click or left click back, even if you aren't an admin. Using two fingers on the track pad should enabled the scroll.

Songbird76

You can go into your mouse settings and change your settings to get a right click or left click back, even if you aren't an admin. Using two fingers on the track pad should enabled the scroll.
On mine, for scrolling, I only need one finger. If there is an elevator bar on the right, I just have to position the arrow over that bar, double tap and hold it as I move up or down. It's easy. I'm pretty sure that's how my old one worked too. That's mostly why I bought a new laptop. The touchpad on the old one stopped working and I had to use a mouse, which I don't like. And then the jack for headphones stopped working on it, so I couldn't watch videos or anything on it anymore. The one thing I hate about this laptop is that I couldn't get one with a DVD drive. I can't watch DVDs on my computer anymore, which really sucks. But at least I have a touchpad and sound!

Rista1313

In this case, I'm inclined to think it's ignorance on my brother's part. He hasn't been to Disney for a few decades, so he really doesn't know about things like ADRs and FPs, and he isn't quite the planner I am anyway. But, I also think part of it is how we grew up. He always got his way on everything, from who got to watch their program on TV, to who got to use the bathroom first, to who got to choose a restaurant, and he ALWAYS got to sit in the front seat of the car and push the seat back so my knees were touching the back and mom packed the car so full that there was no room for me to move anywhere. He would "forget" to take out the trash, which was his one chore every week, and mom would make me do it, but still pay him. He just never had to work for anything and he always got his way, and I always had to be the one to make the sacrifice...if he didn't take care of his car or bike, mom would make me let him use mine. (almost cost me $600 once) I think he thinks I am just going to plan the whole trip, and he is going to get there and manipulate everyone into doing what he wants, and I'm going to throw my plans out the window to give him his way. And because he doesn't realize how much planning really goes into it because he hasn't done the research, he doesn't realize that there's a REASON I plan the way I do. I think he just figures we'll just get there and do what we want to do, and he will manipulate everyone into doing what HE wants to do, like always. If it weren't for his daughter and his in-laws, who are amazing people, I would just not worry about it and I'd say "Oh....sorry...we have a fastpass for FoP now....standby line is over there if you want to ride."
Every time you've mentioned this, I get so sad. I can't imagine growing up this way... mostly because I was an only child, and didn't go to live with my half brothers until I was 15, so I didn't have to compete with anyone for my parents attention. My husband always talks about how his sister always got her way, and she also got to do everything extra curricular, and he got to do very little. I don't understand parents who aren't fair with how they treat their children...... I will probably never understand it.

MySmallWorldof4

In this case, I'm inclined to think it's ignorance on my brother's part. He hasn't been to Disney for a few decades, so he really doesn't know about things like ADRs and FPs, and he isn't quite the planner I am anyway. But, I also think part of it is how we grew up. He always got his way on everything, from who got to watch their program on TV, to who got to use the bathroom first, to who got to choose a restaurant, and he ALWAYS got to sit in the front seat of the car and push the seat back so my knees were touching the back and mom packed the car so full that there was no room for me to move anywhere. He would "forget" to take out the trash, which was his one chore every week, and mom would make me do it, but still pay him. He just never had to work for anything and he always got his way, and I always had to be the one to make the sacrifice...if he didn't take care of his car or bike, mom would make me let him use mine. (almost cost me $600 once) I think he thinks I am just going to plan the whole trip, and he is going to get there and manipulate everyone into doing what he wants, and I'm going to throw my plans out the window to give him his way. And because he doesn't realize how much planning really goes into it because he hasn't done the research, he doesn't realize that there's a REASON I plan the way I do. I think he just figures we'll just get there and do what we want to do, and he will manipulate everyone into doing what HE wants to do, like always. If it weren't for his daughter and his in-laws, who are amazing people, I would just not worry about it and I'd say "Oh....sorry...we have a fastpass for FoP now....standby line is over there if you want to ride."
I would probably split into groups during the day. You want to be able to enjoy yourself as well. This is a vacation for you and your family as well.

StarWarsGirl

On mine, for scrolling, I only need one finger. If there is an elevator bar on the right, I just have to position the arrow over that bar, double tap and hold it as I move up or down. It's easy. I'm pretty sure that's how my old one worked too. That's mostly why I bought a new laptop. The touchpad on the old one stopped working and I had to use a mouse, which I don't like. And then the jack for headphones stopped working on it, so I couldn't watch videos or anything on it anymore. The one thing I hate about this laptop is that I couldn't get one with a DVD drive. I can't watch DVDs on my computer anymore, which really sucks. But at least I have a touchpad and sound!
I thought I would miss having a disc drive on my laptop when I got my new one. Nope. Most of my movies I buy the digital copies anyway, and I bought an external drive and downloaded a DVD decoder, so I can still watch a DVD if I really want to, but I usually just end up converting them to digital format and then watching them without the disc.

Rista1313

Even though I have a laptop at work, it has a docking station which allows me to use a real monitor, keyboard, and mouse. At home, I use a mouse with my laptop only when it's on my desk, which is most of the time. If I bring it downstairs and use it in my lap, I muddle thru the mousepad and the clicky buttons. I just got my laptop at home for Christmas... before that I had a desktop forever, so slowly but surely I'm moving forward!

Songbird76

Every time you've mentioned this, I get so sad. I can't imagine growing up this way... mostly because I was an only child, and didn't go to live with my half brothers until I was 15, so I didn't have to compete with anyone for my parents attention. My husband always talks about how his sister always got her way, and she also got to do everything extra curricular, and he got to do very little. I don't understand parents who aren't fair with how they treat their children...... I will probably never understand it.
How sad for your husband! That's one thing I can say...I got to do a LOT of extra curriculars. Part of the nice thing about small towns...our school was small enough that they didn't need to make cuts for teams and activities, so you could do pretty much any activity you wanted, even if you were terrible at it. (I made a GREAT bench warmer in junior high basketball!) You may not get much playing time, but you were "part of the team".
The thing with my mom....my parents were a lot older when they got married and thus older when they had children. They both grew up post Great Depression/pre WWII, so they were from an Era in which the man was the head of the house. My parents' marriage was not a happy one and they divorced when I was just barely 6 years old, my brother was 7. My brother is a lot like my mom in personality, and I was more like my dad, who she had no good word to say about. I think she kind of looked at my brother as the man of the house after she and dad divorced, and she tried so hard to squash out my dad's influence. When I had just graduated high school, I had gotten a summer job and my mom wasn't happy with the hours I was getting and demanded I go to my boss to get more hours. That wasn't me....it was only a summer job, I had applied at like 50 places and hadn't gotten so much as an interview....I couldn't afford to be picky, and I knew there were 30 kids waiting for the job I got. If I went in making demands, I was likely to get fired and they'd replace me in 5 minutes. I got to work the next day and my boss called me in because my mother had called her and demanded that she give me more hours. I was FURIOUS that she had interfered. When I explained to my boss that it was my MOTHER who was unhappy, not me, and I was obviously horrified at mom's behavior, the boss told me that her plan when I came in that morning was to let me go, but since it was not my fault and she didn't want to get me in trouble, she would see what she could do. Anyway, when I got home that night, I was so angry and told my mom she had NO right to interfere with my EMPLOYER, I was a legal adult, and she may not agree with every decision that I made, but it was MINE to make. And she told me I was stupid for not handling it her way, and I told her she almost got me fired, and things escalated and I finally told her point blank "Mom, I am not just like you. I will not always do things exactly the way you would because I am a different person...I'm not you!" And later, when she again called me stupid, I told her how much that hurt, to have your mom call you stupid, and she said to me "Well do you know how much it hurts to hear you say you're not just like me? That is the worst thing you have ever said to me in your life!"

So I think she looked at my brother and was relieved that he wasn't like my dad, looked at me and was horrified that I was. And that combined with my brother being a boy, when she was from an era where boys were considered quite a bit more important than girls, it didn't occur to her that it was wrong to favor him. I asked her once why she had different rules for him because he walked out of the house 5 minutes before I tried to...he was allowed to go out, and I wasn't. Her answer was "He's a boy. He can't get into as much as a girl." He, as a boy, would not be responsible for anything that happened...I, as a girl, had to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. And because he was not like my dad, she trusted his judgment infinitely more than she trusted mine. Everything was always my fault. He scratched a car pulling out of the parking lot at school...it was my fault because I should have made him go in and find the owner. He came out....it was my fault he is gay because I wasn't there for him enough in college and he had to go find other friends and these were the people who accepted him. She could not bear to think of him as less than perfect, so she always had to find a way to make things my fault or to give him what he wanted. When I achieved something, I wasn't allowed to say anything about it because it might make him feel bad because "he's used to being better" than me. He was the oldest, he was a boy, and she couldn't stand my dad. That combination just made it hard for her to see clearly. He was the golden child and I was the one who reminded her of the person she couldn't stand, but she couldn't "divorce" me like she did my dad.

I am so terrified that I'm inadvertantly doing this to my children because I don't always understand DS's behavior. I don't ever want him to feel like I don't love him as much because he's different. But I also don't want DD to feel like we always give him his way because of his Autism. Sometimes we have to handle things differently with him because what worked with DD doesn't work with him, and I am afraid she's going to feel like we favor him because we were more strict with her. Mistakes we made with her, we have learned from, and don't make them with DS, but I could see how she could see it as us just having different rules for her, which would be unfair.

Sorry, that was really long...but I hope that explains it. I don't think she did any of it to be mean....she just didn't realize she was playing favorites.

Songbird76

I thought I would miss having a disc drive on my laptop when I got my new one. Nope. Most of my movies I buy the digital copies anyway, and I bought an external drive and downloaded a DVD decoder, so I can still watch a DVD if I really want to, but I usually just end up converting them to digital format and then watching them without the disc.
Maybe if I were technically inclined as you seemed to be, that would work for me. My hubs bought an external DVD thingy when he bought his laptop....he actually had them REMOVE his DVD drive, but then he has the external if he wants to watch something, which he never does. He told me he'd teach me how to use it so I can watch on my laptop, but he never did. I'll have to remind him.

Songbird76

Even though I have a laptop at work, it has a docking station which allows me to use a real monitor, keyboard, and mouse. At home, I use a mouse with my laptop only when it's on my desk, which is most of the time. If I bring it downstairs and use it in my lap, I muddle thru the mousepad and the clicky buttons. I just got my laptop at home for Christmas... before that I had a desktop forever, so slowly but surely I'm moving forward!
Yeah, I'm never at a desk, which is why I hate using a mouse. There's no room, and every time I move, I inadvertently click on things I don't want to click on with a mouse, or I drop the mouse when I set the laptop down and it does funky things. If I'm at a desk, the mouse is fine, but I'm never at a desk/table, so it doesn't work for me.

Rista1313

I did the other thing I said I wasn't going to do and applied for TSA pre check.

With Hawaii, I need to bring food and at least two electronic devices with me, and security will be a pain otherwise.

Me too... I have my appointment for my fingerprinting on May 9. I think we are going to get hubby it too later this summer before Disney in September.

Rista1313

How sad for your husband! That's one thing I can say...I got to do a LOT of extra curriculars. Part of the nice thing about small towns...our school was small enough that they didn't need to make cuts for teams and activities, so you could do pretty much any activity you wanted, even if you were terrible at it. (I made a GREAT bench warmer in junior high basketball!) You may not get much playing time, but you were "part of the team".
The thing with my mom....my parents were a lot older when they got married and thus older when they had children. They both grew up post Great Depression/pre WWII, so they were from an Era in which the man was the head of the house. My parents' marriage was not a happy one and they divorced when I was just barely 6 years old, my brother was 7. My brother is a lot like my mom in personality, and I was more like my dad, who she had no good word to say about. I think she kind of looked at my brother as the man of the house after she and dad divorced, and she tried so hard to squash out my dad's influence. When I had just graduated high school, I had gotten a summer job and my mom wasn't happy with the hours I was getting and demanded I go to my boss to get more hours. That wasn't me....it was only a summer job, I had applied at like 50 places and hadn't gotten so much as an interview....I couldn't afford to be picky, and I knew there were 30 kids waiting for the job I got. If I went in making demands, I was likely to get fired and they'd replace me in 5 minutes. I got to work the next day and my boss called me in because my mother had called her and demanded that she give me more hours. I was FURIOUS that she had interfered. When I explained to my boss that it was my MOTHER who was unhappy, not me, and I was obviously horrified at mom's behavior, the boss told me that her plan when I came in that morning was to let me go, but since it was not my fault and she didn't want to get me in trouble, she would see what she could do. Anyway, when I got home that night, I was so angry and told my mom she had NO right to interfere with my EMPLOYER, I was a legal adult, and she may not agree with every decision that I made, but it was MINE to make. And she told me I was stupid for not handling it her way, and I told her she almost got me fired, and things escalated and I finally told her point blank "Mom, I am not just like you. I will not always do things exactly the way you would because I am a different person...I'm not you!" And later, when she again called me stupid, I told her how much that hurt, to have your mom call you stupid, and she said to me "Well do you know how much it hurts to hear you say you're not just like me? That is the worst thing you have ever said to me in your life!"

So I think she looked at my brother and was relieved that he wasn't like my dad, looked at me and was horrified that I was. And that combined with my brother being a boy, when she was from an era where boys were considered quite a bit more important than girls, it didn't occur to her that it was wrong to favor him. I asked her once why she had different rules for him because he walked out of the house 5 minutes before I tried to...he was allowed to go out, and I wasn't. Her answer was "He's a boy. He can't get into as much as a girl." He, as a boy, would not be responsible for anything that happened...I, as a girl, had to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. And because he was not like my dad, she trusted his judgment infinitely more than she trusted mine. Everything was always my fault. He scratched a car pulling out of the parking lot at school...it was my fault because I should have made him go in and find the owner. He came out....it was my fault he is gay because I wasn't there for him enough in college and he had to go find other friends and these were the people who accepted him. She could not bear to think of him as less than perfect, so she always had to find a way to make things my fault or to give him what he wanted. When I achieved something, I wasn't allowed to say anything about it because it might make him feel bad because "he's used to being better" than me. He was the oldest, he was a boy, and she couldn't stand my dad. That combination just made it hard for her to see clearly. He was the golden child and I was the one who reminded her of the person she couldn't stand, but she couldn't "divorce" me like she did my dad.

I am so terrified that I'm inadvertantly doing this to my children because I don't always understand DS's behavior. I don't ever want him to feel like I don't love him as much because he's different. But I also don't want DD to feel like we always give him his way because of his Autism. Sometimes we have to handle things differently with him because what worked with DD doesn't work with him, and I am afraid she's going to feel like we favor him because we were more strict with her. Mistakes we made with her, we have learned from, and don't make them with DS, but I could see how she could see it as us just having different rules for her, which would be unfair.

Sorry, that was really long...but I hope that explains it. I don't think she did any of it to be mean....she just didn't realize she was playing favorites.

It explains it.. and you have explained it before... it's just tough to think you had to deal with that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom