News Tomorrowland love

MickeyMouse10

I went on it once, just to see what it was, then never again. Even on a hot, sunny day as a walk-on, I'd skip it. Other rides, such as Ellen, you would still get on if nothing else but for some cold air and a nap (which says a LOT about Ellen) but Stitch didn't even warrant that.

Exactly, I'd have to be really desperate to want to go in. There'd have to be mirages of bikini ladies with Poland Springs.

Brad Bishop

It's an interesting concept, though:

Would you rather have a whole new Tomorrowland (thinking MK here) and lose the Peoplemover?
or
Would you rather keep the Peoplemover and things continue on the way they have been? (refurb rides, a paint job, that's about it)

If getting a whole new Tomorrowland meant them leveling Tomorrowland, save Space Mountain (I'd even be willing to toss that in at this point) AND we got a fantastic new land, I'd be for it. With the white-concrete look that just won't go away and the limitation of the buildings in question (all meant for different attractions), I think leveling it and starting over (it's been 50 years) might actually be a good thing.

...and yes I really love the Peoplemover and I like Space Mountain, both the majestic building and the wild-mouse coaster inside. Having an interesting land that isn't a Pixar dumping ground would be nice, though.

MickeyMouse10

They could always bring back the original plan of using the Xenomorph from "Aliens". But I think it would scare too many children and probably adults too. It would be like that scene from "Scrooged" where an old lady was scared to death.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Fresh Baked just did a video on the rumor for Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

Granted, it's a rumor but he's heard it twice now from two different sources:
Tear it down

Literally demolish all of it and rebuild something new saving Space Mountain and the Lagoon. It makes a lot of sense. Everything is so tightly integrated that you can't tear down one thing without possibly wreaking havoc on another. The Peoplemover was lost long ago.

Imagine if they did that at DL and then either built the Discoveryland (Jules Verne based) or even if they gave you something like a "Tomorrowland Mainstreet" like the 1994 version was supposed to be for MK (all new buildings and attractions).

It'd make a lot of sense at the Magic Kingdom, IMO, though you'd lose the Peoplemover.
The Rocket Rods Track is on borrowed time. If that ties in with a larger project I don’t know but there are Track demo plans over there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Rocket Rods Track is on borrowed time. If that ties in with a larger project I don’t know but there are Track demo plans over there.
So they actually have looked into refurbing Tomorrowland at Disneyland. I'm honestly surprised.
I really should read my own notes more.

There is a two phase overhaul of DLs Tomorrowland proposed for the first half of next decade. Not total demo, some, plus the possible addition of something familiar. And a Buzz overlay (IP unknown)

Kman101

Fresh Baked just did a video on the rumor for Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

Granted, it's a rumor but he's heard it twice now from two different sources:
Tear it down

Literally demolish all of it and rebuild something new saving Space Mountain and the Lagoon. It makes a lot of sense. Everything is so tightly integrated that you can't tear down one thing without possibly wreaking havoc on another. The Peoplemover was lost long ago.

Imagine if they did that at DL and then either built the Discoveryland (Jules Verne based) or even if they gave you something like a "Tomorrowland Mainstreet" like the 1994 version was supposed to be for MK (all new buildings and attractions).

It'd make a lot of sense at the Magic Kingdom, IMO, though you'd lose the Peoplemover.

Eh. I think that's fanwishing to tear everything down (apart from the peoplemover tracks). But they really kind of do need to "start over" so to speak, especially in Disneyland.

MK's Tomorrowland remains too hodgepodge. DL's Tomorrowland is a brown disaster.

Kman101

I really should read my own notes more.

There is a two phase overhaul of DLs Tomorrowland proposed for the first half of next decade. Not total demo, some, plus the possible addition of something familiar. And a Buzz overlay (IP unknown)

So they get a Buzz replacement and our Tomorrowland continues with it, regardless of TSL? :banghead: (I'm using that emoticon a lot today). I mean, we can't even get a Stitch replacement and we have a hodgepodge color scheme ... sigh. WDW GET IT TOGETHER!! But hey, paint color and TRON fixes it all, right ;)

Brad Bishop

Eh. I think that's fanwishing to tear everything down (apart from the peoplemover tracks). But they really kind of do need to "start over" so to speak, especially in Disneyland.

MK's Tomorrowland remains too hodgepodge. DL's Tomorrowland is a brown disaster.

It's funny:

Disneyland's Tomorrowland seems like a cramped land of unused space.

Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland seems like a wide land area of unused space.

Kman101

It's what Six Flags does. Major rides they just order multiples of and install them everywhere with different names (or sometimes not different names).

Some clones are fine. I very much welcome some. I couldn't imagine not seeing clones of Small World and Peter Pan everywhere. But at the same time .... let's get some originality. But I guess only a small amount of fans even care about that kind of thing. I know people will always go to Disney parks regardless of clones or not, but it's kind of strange very few think other parks need draws and unique things. Hong Kong wants exclusivity for a reason ...

aladdin2007

So they get a Buzz replacement and our Tomorrowland continues with it, regardless of TSL? :banghead: (I'm using that emoticon a lot today). I mean, we can't even get a Stitch replacement and we have a hodgepodge color scheme ... sigh. WDW GET IT TOGETHER!! But hey, paint color and TRON fixes it all, right ;)

I agree its time our buzz gets a different ip or at least a major major refurbishment, long overdue. But yeah they cant even decide what to do with stitch so .....really bad. I thought it had been sounding better with things but doesnt look like it with the hodgepodge color scheme like you said. Where does the peoplemover currently stand? Is it still safe so to speak?

Kman101

I agree its time our buzz gets a different ip or at least a major major refurbishment, long overdue. But yeah they cant even decide what to do with stitch so .....really bad. I thought it had been sounding better with things but doesnt look like it with the hodgepodge color scheme like you said. Where does the peoplemover currently stand? Is it still safe so to speak?

I've felt that way since D23 2015/2017. Things were starting to sound better, like they realized they needed to expand, etc ... I had hoped maybe they finally "got it". They realized Stitch wasn't working. Yet here we are, just a bunch of painted buildings, Stitch replacement in limbo for years ... but hey, let's add Tron! (And I'm not against Tron like some ... but that doesn't "fix" the land)

So once again, they prove to me they don't get it. No, not everything can happen overnight, but their inability to move a little faster and make a decision is sad. And they shouldn't have cut the MK theater. They also haven't instilled much hope in me with the mess that is Epcot and DHS, who still needs SO much more. Meanwhile, Disneyland fans can cheer and be happy, they get a Mickey ride replacing a gift shop. Our signature park attraction was gutted. That says it all to me they still don't get it. People really want to know why we're so jaded? I was trying so hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't.

aladdin2007

I've felt that way since D23 2015/2017. Things were starting to sound better, like they realized they needed to expand, etc ... I had hoped maybe they finally "got it". They realized Stitch wasn't working. Yet here we are, just a bunch of painted buildings, Stitch replacement in limbo for years ... but hey, let's add Tron! (And I'm not against Tron like some ... but that doesn't "fix" the land)

So once again, they prove to me they don't get it. No, not everything can happen overnight, but their inability to move a little faster and make a decision is sad. And they shouldn't have cut the MK theater. They also haven't instilled much hope in me with the mess that is Epcot and DHS, who still needs SO much more. Meanwhile, Disneyland fans can cheer and be happy, they get a Mickey ride replacing a gift shop. Our signature park attraction was gutted. That says it all to me they still don't get it. People really want to know why we're so jaded? I was trying so hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't.

I can't anymore either and I have tried and tried. Im with you completely, well stated. We lose rides for meetngreets etc or rides for rides..disneyland loses a shop. And they have empty spaces here they dont want to fill (too much bureaucracy and office politics for one thing), yet the park is beyond being able to handle the capacity of people it now has.

matt9112

i think the best and most economical route is to go the way of Paris or TDS and do the future that never was idea. more steampunk... could save it all and still retheme it all into coherence. if they try to keep the "real future space port" feel at all i think its doomed. make it a fantasy of tommorow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom