News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

Now that's a ridiculous statement....

The discussion would go on for 100 page minimum! ;)
Trying to think back, but, didn't we have a rather large threat on the topic of the sandpaper like surface of the new toilet paper they had started to use. I know there was a large online reaction when they went from powdered hand soap in the bathrooms to liquid. It appears that any type of change fosters a cry of anguish from many. That was even after that big anthrax scare. Personally, I think it was more then shear coincidence that the powder was gone and replaced by liquid a few short days after anthrax was discovered in the mail. Anthrax and powdered soap look exactly the same.

BeckyTheTechy

The Paradise Point Tramway in St. Thomas has no air-conditioning, makes a five minute run, and hasn't baked, roasted, or seared a single DCL guest yet. I'm guessing that if St. Thomas can run a tram without convection cooking guests, Disney can do the same

Exactly. Everyone knows the outrage and disgust that we all feel when that news story comes on during the summer that someone left a child in a hot car. Does anyone really think that Disney would consciously create transportation that would even remotely have the same effect?

BeckyTheTechy

Still not a fan of what they did with destroying existing rooms to build this and having this new huge tower looming over CBB when they want us to believe that Riviera is a completely separate resort.

If they had made it look like the Atlantis hotel it would have fit the theme better. 😄

Phil12

The Paradise Point Tramway in St. Thomas has no air-conditioning, makes a five minute run, and hasn't baked, roasted, or seared a single DCL guest yet. I'm guessing that if St. Thomas can run a tram without convection cooking guests, Disney can do the same thing.
Only problem is Disney World does not have an open ocean breeze and the elevation is rather flat. You can see the Atlantic Ocean from the Paradise Point Tramway as it climbs up the mountain to an elevation of 700 feet. Expedition Everest is the highest mountain in Disney World at 199 feet and the Skyliner doesn't go to AK yet.

halltd

Just FYI for those that say the cabins are left outside every night, here’s a picture from DHS tonight. No cabins. The Pop line was empty, too. So, maybe if the testing crews aren’t working weekends, they return them?

Cesar R M

"On social media, some theme park followers have criticized the lack of air conditioning in the gondolas.

But Mazloum argued the ride is “absolutely comfortable.”

“We have specifically designed them with the Florida climate in mind,” he said, pointing to reflective windows that block out the sunlight and the mesh screens on both sides to bring in a breeze."

We will see how well this quote ages after a couple of days of operations when its 85 and above.
The solution will be selling portable hand fans of stitch at 35$ a piece.
"Deluxe Stitch Gondola Comfort kit"

Cesar R M

Photo update as of Saturday, April 20, 2019. At the Riviera resort Skyliner station, bronze colored light posts have been installed, wrapped in protective plastic.

View attachment 366561

As reported earlier, ligustrum bushes and other plants have been added around the Skyliner towers at the Caribbean Beach resort.

View attachment 366562
Perfect! I cant even see the towers anymore!

bUU

Exactly. Everyone knows the outrage and disgust that we all feel when that news story comes on during the summer that someone left a child in a hot car. Does anyone really think that Disney would consciously create transportation that would even remotely have the same effect?
Good point. It is far more likely that some people are simply looking to call more attention to themselves by putting out there the most ridiculous and childish nonsense.

Just FYI for those that say the cabins are left outside every night, here’s a picture from DHS tonight. No cabins. The Pop line was empty, too. So, maybe if the testing crews aren’t working weekends, they return them?
We can't say anything definitive about this until routine operations are underway. My instinctive reaction would be that leaving the cabins on the line overnight would cause unnecessary wear on the line and what keeps it taut but people with more direct knowledge of this technology have made clear that that is not the case. I think it'll come down to a procedure call by Disney which supports their operations better. Leaving the cabins out on the line overnight means that things are all set to go in the morning, but means that they have to have an emergency call system for staff to rush into work should there be an unexpected early morning storm so severe that safety calls for the lines to be cleared, but just given the probabilities leaving cabins on the line is likely more efficient than the alternative.

Last edited:

PG 134

View attachment 366649

Construction for PCL projects don't usually occur on Sundays at Caribbean so cabins are pulled off the lines. With it being Easter weekend, there was no construction on Saturday too.

Cabins are usually left on the line overnights Monday through Friday.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
What are those brown/gray boxes overhead on the storage racks? There is one per row on the near storage and two per row on the far storage. Note that the near storage holds 20 cabins per row and the far storage holds 24 cabins per row.

I have been wondering about that also. They have been there for a while and I have always assumed that the brown was just wood being used to protect something during construction, although I am not sure what it is protecting.

Lift Blog

What are those brown/gray boxes overhead on the storage racks? There is one per row on the near storage and two per row on the far storage. Note that the near storage holds 20 cabins per row and the far storage holds 24 cabins per row.
Looks like plywood covering small tire banks with motors Surprised it has lasted this long and there is not yet a more permanent solution.

Last edited:

Kman101

Watching gondola updates on ytube with another ytuber complaining about why Disney didn’t put AC on the gondolas. My husband pointed out as we watched that AC would be pointless because any cool air in the cabins would go away once the gondola goes into the stations and the doors remain open as it makes the return loop to let people on. Has anyone mentioned this before? I’ve kept up with the last 300 pages and hadn’t seen this very valid point yet...

Yep. But people keep whining and angsting and worrying about it. AC isn't needed for a 5-15 minute gondola ride with large vents. Everyone: we will survive and be just fine. We won't roast to death, I promise ;) (and it wouldn't help, ultimately, IMHO)

JayKZ

thats the winning gondola to willy wonkas chocolate factory
Perhaps. Perhaps it is just one of three hundred Absolutely Comfortable (TM), well-ventilated Skyliner gondolas ready to whisk it's passengers over alligator infested lakes, at dizzying heights dozens of feet above Central Florida between their resorts and magical theme park adventures. But perhaps, just perhaps... the golden gondola will take its unfortunate passengers on a journey of misfortune and despair. A one way trip... to the Twilight Zone (IP license pending).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom