News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

tissandtully

Some evac testing is occurring:
img_3974.jpg
I feel like something has to go really wrong if they need to evacuate like this some day, but I'm glad they have the plan.

trainplane3

I feel like something has to go really wrong if they need to evacuate like this some day, but I'm glad they have the plan.
Same applies to the monorails and boats. You always need a plan even if you never have to use it.

I feel the ease of access (theyre low and 95% unblocked) to the lines would lead to a relatively quick (let's say an hour) evac. And unjokingly, heat being a concern to make it quick.

AndyMagic

Watching gondola updates on ytube with another ytuber complaining about why Disney didn’t put AC on the gondolas. My husband pointed out as we watched that AC would be pointless because any cool air in the cabins would go away once the gondola goes into the stations and the doors remain open as it makes the return loop to let people on. Has anyone mentioned this before? I’ve kept up with the last 300 pages and hadn’t seen this very valid point yet...

This idea that AC would be pointless because cool air would leave the cabins at stations makes absolutely no sense to me. Each cabin is a tiny space that can be cooled again in seconds after a gondola departs. There are a lot of reasons why AC may not make sense on a system like this but "cold air leaving at stations" isn't one of them.

Anyone saying AC is useless because a door opens at a station has never ridden the New York City subway in the middle of August. On local lines trains stop every 30 seconds or less and yes, when the doors open the cold air leaves and hot air enters. When the train departs and the doors close the temperature returns to normal in less than 5 seconds. That's kind of the entire point of a temperature control system. It dynamically adjusts depending on the current ambient temperature.

joelkfla

Last edited:

Incomudro

This idea that AC would be pointless because cool air would leave the cabins at stations makes absolutely no sense to me. Each cabin is a tiny space that can be cooled again in seconds after a gondola departs. There are a lot of reasons why AC may not make sense on a system like this but "cold air leaving at stations" isn't one of them.

Anyone saying AC is useless because a door opens at a station has never ridden the New York City subway in the middle of August. On local lines trains stop every 30 seconds or less and yes, when the doors open the cold air leaves and hot air enters. When the train departs and the doors close the temperature returns to normal in less than 5 seconds. That's kind of the entire point of a temperature control system. It dynamically adjusts depending on the current ambient temperature.
As a NYC subway rider for more than 34 years to this day, I can attest to that.
I predate the days when the subway cars had AC.
Down in the tubes, it's actually often hotter than up on the streets - because the trains themselves give off a lot of heat - and the heat is not removed from the stations.
It can be brutal.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Your logic has a few issues.
1 - Subway - the amount of open door space relative to the entire shell is small. So its not a good comparison. The gondolas open nearly a full side of the cabin
2 - The speed at which the space can be cooled again is dependent on the volume of air, how much it needs to be cooled, airflow rate, and the cooling capacity of your system. To sum up.. to cool a space fast, you use high airflow, and high cooling capacity. Both of which are energy hogs.. and neither of which are suitable for a low draw system like a recharged battery system. The subway is directly connected to a 600+V system that can supply thousands of watts of power. An AC cycle and air circulators are easily powered by such systems.

The gondolas risk loosing far more of their volume of cooled air than a subway car does simply due to the lack of containment. The only positive offset there is the volume of air to cool in the gondola is far less than a subway car. Less space to cool.. less time needed. But gondolas would still be hindered by lack of cooling capacity and airflow abilities due to their small power reserves.

A better comparison would be to something like your car. But even that has a smaller volume than a gondola, and a much higher capacity cooling system. And you can see how long it takes an AC system to bring a car down to a comfortable temperature at 'max ac'. Sit with your door open for nearly 2 mins.. and see how cool your car is.. and how long it takes to recover. It's not 'seconds'

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Your logic has a few issues.
1 - Subway - the amount of open door space relative to the entire shell is small. So its not a good comparison. The gondolas open nearly a full side of the cabin
2 - The speed at which the space can be cooled again is dependent on the volume of air, how much it needs to be cooled, airflow rate, and the cooling capacity of your system. To sum up.. to cool a space fast, you use high airflow, and high cooling capacity. Both of which are energy hogs.. and neither of which are suitable for a low draw system like a recharged battery system. The subway is directly connected to a 600+V system that can supply thousands of watts of power. An AC cycle and air circulators are easily powered by such systems.

The gondolas risk loosing far more of their volume of cooled air than a subway car does simply due to the lack of containment. The only positive offset there is the volume of air to cool in the gondola is far less than a subway car. Less space to cool.. less time needed. But gondolas would still be hindered by lack of cooling capacity and airflow abilities due to their small power reserves.

A better comparison would be to something like your car. But even that has a smaller volume than a gondola, and a much higher capacity cooling system. And you can see how long it takes an AC system to bring a car down to a comfortable temperature at 'max ac'. Sit with your door open for nearly 2 mins.. and see how cool your car is.. and how long it takes to recover. It's not 'seconds'
Well, here's hoping the gondolas don't get as hot as a car after sitting out in the sun all day... ;)

Bender123

Well, here's hoping the gondolas don't get as hot as a car after sitting out in the sun all day... ;)

Would now be the time to try to compare the gondolas to the old skyway in MK? It seems that we keep hearing all the talk about heat, but the good old "SOMEONE FELL OFF THE SKYWAY!!!!!" discussion hasn't popped up in awhile...

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

As a NYC subway rider for more than 34 years to this day, I can attest to that.
I predate the days when the subway cars had AC.
Down in the tubes, it's actually often hotter than up on the streets - because the trains themselves give off a lot of heat - and the heat is not removed from the stations.
It can be brutal.
I still can't believe people don't drop like flies in the NYC subway stations every August... it's crazy.

bUU

Anyone saying AC is useless because a door opens at a station has never ridden the New York City subway in the middle of August.
What percentage of the surface area of a subway car is doorways rather than walls and windows?
What percentage of the surface area of a gondola cabin is doorways rather than walls and windows?

/b, born in Brooklyn

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom