Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

fctiger

Wow this amazing news! It sounded like it was happening but to confirm it this quickly is pretty cool. DLR is getting quite a bit in the next few years, so its going to be a pretty busy place with so much happening.

And its nice that it confirms Toontown isn't going anywhere for a long time to come. I honestly thought that land was next on the chopping black for either a SWL or FL expansion.

TP2000

I'm curious about the ride because it appears to be a dinky train ride for babies in that photo.

Your curiosity is valid. What is this ride exactly?

I haven't really been following this on the WDW forums, so I don't know much about it. It's a dark ride, on a train, starring Mickey and Minnie. Right?

But is it a cutesy D Ticket a la' Midway Mania or Little Mermaid? Or is it a full blown E Ticket a la' Pirates or Haunted Mansion or Soarin'? What is the general consensus out there on if this is an E Ticket or not?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I haven't really been following this on the WDW forums, so I don't know much about it. It's a dark ride, on a train, starring Mickey and Minnie. Right?

But is it a cutesy D Ticket a la' Midway Mania or Little Mermaid? Or is it a full blown E Ticket a la' Pirates or Haunted Mansion or Soarin'? What is the general consensus out there on if this is an E Ticket or not?

It's an E.

A Mickey and Goofy version of Mystic Manor.

TP2000

I wonder if they get rid of that structure in front of the Gag Factory. The little "island" with the interactive elements, the dynamite, jail cell, barbell stuck to the ground etc.
I figured the entrance would somehow go down near gadgets, maybe where chips treehouse is. So we are thinking now its going where gag factory is?

I think we are assuming the entrance will slot in on the northern flanks of Toontown, since the ride warehouse sits directly north of there.

If I were to bet a churro on this, I would bet the City Hall area is where this entrance goes. That area is pointless, it is simply a facade that houses nothing, with a small surviving snack bar serving Disneyland's worst hot dogs to the left. It's got a large-ish patio area that is also pointless since the snack bars that once served this area long since closed or don't serve food that AP's want to Instagram.

73286773.jpg

That whole area could go away and be replaced with the "Toontown Theater" as the entry facade, or the "Toontown Train Depot", or whatever facility is needed to help set up the story inside in the queue and loading area.

brb1006

Basically Mystic Manor but with Mickey and friends with new screen technology as seen in this D23 preview from 2017.

Here's the other trackless dark rides from the overseas parks.

TP2000

It's an E.

A Mickey and Goofy version of Mystic Manor.

Wow. Okay, thank you very much. I need to catch up on this ride apparently.

This is a big deal then. Disneyland USA seems to have cemented it's place as the park with the most rides, and the strongest ride roster, of any Disney theme park for decades to come. I doubt any other park will ever catch up at this point.

Just counting the big E Tickets, and assuming they replace Tomorrowland's submarines and Star Tours with comparable E Tickets in a 2020's Tomorrowland remake, Disneyland currently has 11 E Tickets, will have 13 E Tickets later this year, and 14 E Tickets when this ride opens in 2022. That is simply unprecedented in any other Disney theme park around the globe.

GrizzlyAdams

I’m glad this ride is coming but still think it would be better suited in DCA rebuild of Hollywood backlot into something great. Toon town should be taken overtaken by Fantasyland expansion giving it more space and options. If this ride is great as appears it would be a needed boon to DCA.

mickEblu

I think we are assuming the entrance will slot in on the northern flanks of Toontown, since the ride warehouse sits directly north of there.

If I were to bet a churro on this, I would bet the City Hall area is where this entrance goes. That area is pointless, it is simply a facade that houses nothing, with a small surviving snack bar serving Disneyland's worst hot dogs to the left. It's got a large-ish patio area that is also pointless since the snack bars that once served this area long since closed or don't serve food that AP's want to Instagram.

73286773.jpg

That whole area could go away and be replaced with the "Toontown Theater" as the entry facade, or the "Toontown Train Depot", or whatever facility is needed to help set up the story inside in the queue and loading area.

Definitely possible. Although, I wonder why would they need to close the Gag Factory if the entrance goes where City Hall is?

TP2000

Definitely possible. Although, I wonder why would they need to close the Gag Factory if the entrance goes where City Hall is?

I think we were all just assuming they have to close the Gag Factory to do this. But just west of the Gag Factory sits this big unused patio area in front of a wall of lifeless facades. My bet is that the Toontown City Hall complex would go away first before they give up the retail space of the Gag Factory and/or Five & Dime.

mickEblu

Wow. Okay, thank you very much. I need to catch up on this ride apparently.

This is a big deal then. Disneyland USA seems to have cemented it's place as the park with the most rides, and the strongest ride roster, of any Disney theme park for decades to come. I doubt any other park will ever catch up at this point.

Just counting the big E Tickets, and assuming they replace Tomorrowland's submarines and Star Tours with comparable E Tickets in a 2020's Tomorrowland remake, Disneyland currently has 11 E Tickets, will have 13 E Tickets later this year, and 14 E Tickets when this ride opens in 2022. That is simply unprecedented in any other Disney theme park around the globe.

I think the cool thing about this attraction is that we re kind of filling in the blanks with our imagination so far. Based off of the images and description, we don’t really have a current attraction we can compare to and say “this is a Mickey version of that.” I don’t think we have ever seen any attraction that uses 2.5 D effects to the extent (if at all) that they will in the Mickey ride. The combo of a trackless ride system in a huge show building with seemingly wall to wall and floor to ceiling 2.5 D effects/ projections, and a few high quality AAs has me excited. It will probably feel like what Toontown the land should be- full of life, color and kinetic energy but can’t be because it’s an outdoor land and not inside a show building. The set up of being sucked into a theatre screen (if that’s the route they take for Toontowns version too) also sounds fantastic.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I think we were all just assuming they have to close the Gag Factory to do this. But just west of the Gag Factory sits this big unused patio area in front of a wall of lifeless facades. My bet is that the Toontown City Hall complex would go away first before they give up the retail space of the Gag Factory and/or Five & Dime.

No I believe a few sources including @GiveMeTheMusic said the Gag Factory would close for this. I think if they were willing to cut back on the retail space in Adventureland that they would also be willing to cut back the space in Toontown. With the Mickey ride back there they could probably sell 10x more merch in a store 1/4 the size. I’m assuming we ll be exiting this attraction into a gift shop somewhere.

Californian Elitist

I’m glad this ride is coming but still think it would be better suited in DCA rebuild of Hollywood backlot into something great. Toon town should be taken overtaken by Fantasyland expansion giving it more space and options. If this ride is great as appears it would be a needed boon to DCA.

There is no thematic correlation with DCA and this ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom