Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

BasiltheBatLord

Interesting that so far there's been no speculation that RR Cartoon Spin might be on the chopping block to make room for Mickey. Considering Disney hasn't invested in the franchise since the last RR short in 1993 it wouldn't be surprising if Cartoon Spin got the axe - unless they have stated it isn't going anywhere.
No official confirmation yet but all sources have indicated thus far that RR is safe.

BrianLo

The source (@GiveMeTheMusic) who was the first one that told us about this also eventually agreed Gag Factory is out and Roger Rabbit is staying. Unless she says otherwise I see no reason to speculate/believe otherwise.

I worry about people pointing to Mystic Manor. I very much think this will be a great ride in its own way. The show building and insider commentary all suggest an E-ticket in scope.

mickEblu

Interesting that so far there's been no speculation that RR Cartoon Spin might be on the chopping block to make room for Mickey. Considering Disney hasn't invested in the franchise since the last RR short in 1993 it wouldn't be surprising if Cartoon Spin got the axe - unless they have stated it isn't going anywhere.

This terrible thought crossed my mind but I didn’t want to breathe any life into it. So far all the rumors have Roger coming out alive which is very surprising to me. If it is safe (and I think it is) it’s 100% because of the capacity issues at DLR.

TP2000

I'm curious what others think about the time frame for opening this ride, as it feels like three years is lengthy to build a ride that has already been developed. I realize they have to reshape the attraction to fit, but I would have thought they would try to hustle a bit. After all, I understand the underlying point of the ride in both parks is to help sop up the Star Wars crowd.
The timeframe might suggest that Toontown is getting a bigger renovation than we thought.

Eh, three years (give or take a month or two) is pretty much standard practice for Disney E Ticket construction from beginning to end.

Cars Land started construction in July, 2009 with John Lasseter leading the shovel brigade. If he only knew he'd be forced out in shame less than a decade later!

The man to his left is former Disneyland President Ed Grier, a man who had very little theme park experience before his Anaheim arrival, and according to Linkedin is now a dean at the Virginia Commonwealth University business school because he's so committed to the theme park industry and Disney showmanship that he moved to Richmond, Virginia to enjoy a mystery career in relatively unknown state education. :rolleyes:

6328110_orig.jpg

Radiator Springs Racers would open on this spot in June, 2012, one month shy of three years later.

Star Wars Land construction began at Disneyland in April, 2016, and opens three years and a month later in May, 2019.

DL040320160014.jpg

To relocate a big back of house warehouse, demolition it, and rebuild a new ride warehouse on the same spot, plus refurbish and rebuild parts of Toontown leading into the new ride should seem about a three year project. Three years is just sort of standard operating procedure for WDI in the American parks.

Last edited:

thequeuelinelectures

Eh, three years (give or take a month or two) is pretty much standard practice for Disney E Ticket construction from beginning to end.

Cars Land started construction in July, 2009 with John Lasseter leading the shovel brigade. If he only knew he'd be forced out in shame less than a decade later!

The man to his left is former Disneyland President Ed Grier, a man who had very little theme park experience before his Anaheim arrival, and according to Linkedin is now a dean at the Virginia Commonwealth University business school because he's so committed to the theme park industry and Disney showmanship that he moved to Richmond, Virginia to enjoy a mystery career in relatively unknown state education. :rolleyes:

6328110_orig.jpg

Radiator Springs Racers would open on this spot in June, 2012, one month shy of three years later.

Star Wars Land construction began at Disneyland in April, 2016, and opens three years and a month later in May, 2019.

DL040320160014.jpg

To relocate a big back of house warehouse, demolition it, and rebuild a new ride warehouse on the same spot, plus refurbish and rebuild parts of Toontown leading into the new ride should seem about a three year project. Three years is just sort of standard operating procedure for WDI in the American parks.

And it only takes Six Flags 6 months to open a fireball coaster! Pick up the pace Disney 😆

Sharon&Susan

Right on time: Attractions Mag is claiming that a Disneyland rep officially confirmed to them that RR is staying. https://attractionsmagazine.com/mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-disneyland/
Lickboot said:
and Mickey’s Toontown will be expanded to accommodate it.
I wonder if this is referring to the new show building or if in fact Toontown (the area itself) will be physically expanded (ex. demolishing the Gag Factory, so that Disney can have a larger pathway that the current one)

D.Silentu

TP2000 I enjoyed the retrospective and it clearly shows that three years is par for the course. However, I suppose my line of thinking comes from the fact that they are so apprehensive of crowds that they are virtually reshaping the park. Yet when it comes to adding actual ride capacity in an attraction that will help spread out the mob, the approach comes off as lackadaisical by comparison.

mickEblu

I Enjoy Disneyland

They really need to update Toontown in a lot of ways, I think the aesthetic of the new Mickey cartoons might clash with the Roger Rabbit aesthetic. I guess the big thing for me is throw a nice quick service restaurant or something back there!

TP2000

Right on time: Attractions Mag is claiming that a Disneyland rep officially confirmed to them that RR is staying. https://attractionsmagazine.com/mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-disneyland/

That's good news. And seems to confirm this is simply an expansion of the current Mickey's Toontown, instead of a total rethinking of the existing space. I imagine there's plenty of aesthetic changes coming to Toontown, while the basic rides/amenities remain.

Really, this is incredible news for Disneyland. This park has just cemented its place as the most ride-populated and highest-capacity park of any in Disney's worldwide empire.

As I sit here watching The Ten Commandments on ABC on Easter Eve (and since I can only see All About Eve any time Anne Baxter comes on screen), although it's amazing how great a 1956 movie looks on a 70 inch 4K TV, I'll take this time to do a new tally on Disneyland's ride count since the Israeli tribes are just now escaping Egypt and I already know how The Ten Commandments ends. 🧐

In 2022, Disneyland will have 38 rides. No other Disney park comes close.

14 will be E Tickets: Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Milennium Falcon, Rise of the Resistance, Mickey's Runaway Railway, it's a small world, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Submarine Voyage, Space Mountain, Star Tours.

The other 24 rides are the A to D Tickets; Disneyland Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, Explorer Canoes, Winnie The Pooh, Sailing Ship Columbia, Mark Twain Riverboat, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Snow White's Scary Adventure, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Dumbo, Carousel, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Teacups, Alice In Wonderland, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Sprin, Gadget's Go Coaster, Monorail, Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbiter.

In comparison, here are the other Castle parks and their ride count by 2022;

Magic Kingdom Park (1971): 25 rides. 8 are E Tickets; Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Tron Lightcycle.

Tokyo Disneyland (1983): 25 rides. 10 are E Tickets: Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Frozen, Beauty & The Beast.

Disneyland Paris (1992): 22 rides. 6 are E Tickets: Pirates of the Caribbean, Phantom Manor, Big Thunder Mountain, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Star Tours.

Hong Kong Disneyland (2005) 19 rides. 7 are E Tickets; Mystic Manor, Grizzly Gulch Mine Train, Jungle Cruise, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Iron Man, Frozen. (Marvel E Ticket opens in 2023)

Shanghai Disneyland (2016) 17 rides. 4 are E Tickets; Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron Lightcycle, Soaring Over The Horizon, Grizzly Rapids.

So it was written, so it shall be done. And a happy Easter to everyone!

Last edited:

I Enjoy Disneyland

Tokyo Disney Sea might be the most beautiful Disney park but Disneyland Park remains the GOAT 🤷‍♂️

I still feel a bit weird about there being a Star Wars land in the OG park but regardless, with that and the revitalization of Toon Town, basically every area in the park is going to transport you to a different place and theres an E ticket around every corner. Very exciting after a couple of decades of resting on its laurels. It's going to be a great mix of the new and the old.

mickEblu

That's good news. And seems to confirm this is simply an expansion of the current Mickey's Toontown, instead of a total rethinking of the existing space. I imagine there's plenty of aesthetic changes coming to Toontown, while the basic rides/amenities remain.

Really, this is incredible news for Disneyland. This park has just cemented its place as the most ride-populated and highest-capacity park of any in Disney's worldwide empire.

As I sit here watching The Ten Commandments on ABC on Easter Eve (and since I can only see All About Eve any time Anne Baxter comes on screen), although it's amazing how great a 1956 movie looks on a 70 inch 4K TV, I'll take this time to do a new tally on Disneyland's ride count since the Israeli tribes are just now escaping Egypt and I already know how The Ten Commandments ends. 🧐

In 2022, Disneyland will have 38 rides. No other Disney park comes close.

14 will be E Tickets: Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Milennium Falcon, Rise of the Resistance, Mickey's Runaway Railway, it's a small world, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Submarine Voyage, Space Mountain, Star Tours.

The other 24 rides are the A to D Tickets; Disneyland Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Horse Drawn Streetcar, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, Explorer Canoes, Winnie The Pooh, Sailing Ship Columbia, Mark Twain Riverboat, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Snow White's Scary Adventure, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Dumbo, Carousel, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Teacups, Alice In Wonderland, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Sprin, Gadget's Go Coaster, Monorail, Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Astro Orbiter.

In comparison, here are the other Castle parks and their ride count by 2022;

Magic Kingdom Park (1971): 25 rides. 8 are E Tickets; Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Tron Lightcycle.

Tokyo Disneyland (1982): 24 rides. 8 are E Tickets: Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Frozen, Beauty & The Beast.

Disneyland Paris (1992): 22 rides. 6 are E Tickets: Pirates of the Caribbean, Phantom Manor, Big Thunder Mountain, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Star Tours.

Hong Kong Disneyland (2005) 19 rides. 7 are E Tickets; Mystic Manor, Grizzly Gulch Mine Train, Jungle Cruise, it's a small world, Space Mountain, Iron Man, Frozen. (Marvel E Ticket opens in 2023)

Shanghai Disneyland (2015) 17 rides. 4 are E Tickets; Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron Lightcycle, Soaring Over The Horizon, Grizzly Rapids.

So it was written, so it shall be done. And a happy Easter to everyone!

In the meantime, DCA has 5 E tickets, 6 if you count TSMM. Grizzly River Run, Radiator Springs Racers, Mission Breakout, Incredicoaster and Soarin. The last few years it’s only seen half baked overlays of attractions that didn’t need them and it’s getting a Spider-Man D ticket next year (maybe) with the land opening with a net loss of 4 attractions (granted they were terrible except for ITTBAB) They need to step it up with DCA or nobody is going to park hop over there. The new AP restrictions will help but they need to do more.

TP2000

In the meantime, DCA has 5 E tickets, 6 if you count TSMM. Grizzly River Run, Radiator Springs Racers, Mission Breakout, Incredicoaster and Soarin. The last few years it’s only seen half baked overlays of attractions that didn’t need them and it’s getting a Spider-Man D ticket next year (maybe) with the land opening with a net loss of 4 attractions (granted they were terrible except for ITTBAB) They need to step it up with DCA or nobody is going to park hop over there. The new AP restrictions will help but they need to do more.

I agree that this shows a sudden switch to a focus on Disneyland ride capacity, and that's a good thing, but I think DCA will hold its own long term. And I don't count Midway Mania as an E Ticket, it is firmly a D Ticket, even in Tokyo Disneysea where it's aesthetically superior.

Let's assume they announce DCA's Marvel Land Avengers Coaster E Ticket at D23 Expo, since the only thing left out there unannounced in Rumorland is the Magic Happens parade coming next year to Disneyland. And if they start on construction in Fall, 2019 and get it open by Fall, 2022, six months after Runaway Railway opens next door, then DCA will have the following ride roster for 2022:

Disney California Adventure (2001): 20 Rides. 6 are E Tickets; Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Incredicoaster, Radiator Springs Racers, Mission Breakout, Avengers Coaster.

The other 14 rides are A thru D Tickets; Red Car Trolley, Little Mermaid, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Goofy's Sky School, Silly Symphony Swings, Emotional Whirlwind, Pixar Reach-A-Round, Midway Mania, Jessie's Critter Carousel, Luigi's Roadsters, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Spiderman Dark Ride, Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley Have The Longest Attraction Title.

For a second park barely 20 years old, that's not bad compared to the Castle parks that are 20 or 30 years old and have the same or just a few more rides.

socalifornian

The tallest mountain in the continental US happens to be in CA. I like the idea of Bigfoot going after us. I’m just not sure if the unspoken rule of no more than one ‘real’ mountain per Disney resort is meant to be broken. What IP would you add Bob?

mickEblu

I agree that this shows a sudden switch to a focus on Disneyland ride capacity, and that's a good thing, but I think DCA will hold its own long term.

Let's assume they announce DCA's Marvel Land Avengers Coaster E Ticket at D23 Expo, since the only thing left out there unannounced in Rumorland is the Magic Happens parade coming next year to Disneyland. And if they start on construction in Fall, 2019 and get it open by Fall, 2022, six months after Runaway Railway opens next door, then DCA will have the following ride roster for 2022:

Disney California Adventure (2001): 20 Rides. 6 are E Tickets; Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Incredicoaster, Radiator Springs Racers, Mission Breakout, Avengers Coaster.

The other 14 rides are A thru D Tickets; Red Car Trolley, Little Mermaid, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Goofy's Sky School, Silly Symphony Swings, Emotional Whirlwind, Pixar Reach-A-Round, Midway Mania, Jessie's Critter Carousel, Luigi's Roadsters, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Spiderman Dark Ride, Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley Have The Longest Attraction Title.

For a second park barely 20 years old, that's not bad compared to the Castle parks that are 20 or 30 years old and have the same or just a few more rides.

It definitely has a decent roster for its age. I just think the investment is a little lopsided (in terms of quality not even necessarily quantity) at the moment. There are still a few areas ready for expansion. The Hollywood backlot at some point will house an E. One more in the current bus drop off area when the eastern gateway wraps up. And maybe one more at Pixar Pier or the challenge Trail in the future. Not to mention the Avengers E that will probably go behind MB. Where is that signature, people eating, family friendly attraction? I’d like to see an nice long dark boat ride at go to DCA. I think every Disney park should have at least one quality boat ride. There is just something about getting on a boat that makes you feel like you re going somewhere.

Last edited:

mickEblu

The tallest mountain in the continental US happens to be in CA. I like the idea of Bigfoot going after us. I’m just not sure if the unspoken rule of no more than one ‘real’ mountain per Disney resort is meant to be broken. What IP would you add Bob?
View attachment 366659

Haha well I think if they were going to go a Bigfoot route they should just add him to GRR which could use some AAs anyway.

TP2000

It definitely has a decent roster for its age. I just think the investment is a little lopsided (in terms of quality not even necessarily quantity) at the moment. There are still a few areas ready for expansion. The Hollywood backlot at some point will house an E. One more in the current bus drop off area when the eastern gateway wraps up. And maybe one more at Pixar Pier or the challenge Trail in the future. Not to mention the Avengers E that will probably go behind MB. Where is that signature, people eating, friendly attraction? I’d like to see an nice long dark boat ride at go to DCA.

Oh, don't get me started on how drab and pointless the entire Hollywood Backlot area is. It's nearly criminal they've let it stay like this for 15 years while they putter around trying to figure out what to do with the $1 Billion in profit the Parks division pulls in every fiscal quarter.

Immersive stucco! Immersive cement! Immersive patio umbrellas! A bored CM begging you to visit their snack bar!
HPB2-091010-AVP.jpg

millionaire_stage172010ww.jpg

And when you need a break from all the empty stucco warehouses and cement, you can retire to the outdoor Hollywood Backlot Stage where amateur dance groups from the suburbs of Phoenix, San Jose or Boise will amaze and delight you with their pre-pubescent charms. Who wouldn't pay $120 admission per day to see this?!? Woooo! Wooo! Woo.

Seriously, this has all been like this for well over a decade. And they decide they need to add an E Ticket to Toontown first?!? I want to know what kind of weed they are putting into the AC system in TDA. o_O

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

DCA's biggest problem is that a day ticket is exactly the same price as Disneyland. Price it at 70% of what a 1 day 1 park Disneyland ticket costs and you've got a winner, and it might actually get people to go to the resort specifically for DCA- without having to force them there by blocking them out of Disneyland.

A few years ago, didn't they sell DCA only AP's at Costco? Anyone know how that worked? I feel like they sold em for like a month but haven't heard anything since.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom