Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mickEblu

I’m not sure why anyone is thinking this will be an e-ticket. I’m hoping it will be good, but it sounds so heavily screen based I doubt it will be full on e-ticket level.

I think the mere size of the show building suggests an E. Not that it’s the only factor but it’s a big one. Modern Disney doesn’t usually waste huge plots of land on anything other than an E.

mickEblu

But then again so much of this is subjective @Pam Hates Penguins. Most of us consider BTMRR an E so by those standards why isn’t the Dwarfs Mine Train? The length? The thrill factor? Dwarfs one show scene (2 if you count the witch/ cottage) is better than any one show scene in BTMRR. I’m kind of playing devils advocate. I get that BTMRR overall is a more complete/ solid experience.

shortstop

But then again so much of this is subjective @Pam Hates Penguins. Most of us consider BTMRR an E so by those standards why isn’t the Dwarfs Mine Train? The length? The thrill factor? Dwarfs one show scene (2 if you count the witch/ cottage) is better than any one show scene in BTMRR. I’m kind of playing devils advocate. I get that BTMRR overall is a more complete/ solid experience.
7D isn’t even in the same ballpark at BTMRR. Honestly without the indoor show scene it would be a rather dull experience. It’s fun, but it’s too tame and too short to be an E.

mickEblu

7D isn’t even in the same ballpark at BTMRR. Honestly without the indoor show scene it would be a rather dull experience. It’s fun, but it’s too tame and too short to be an E.

I’ll admit I haven’t rode it and haven’t seen a ride thru In 2-3 years. But I guess the reasons I listed as to why it’s considered a D are correct. How much shorter is it?

Pam Hates Penguins

But then again so much of this is subjective @Pam Hates Penguins. Most of us consider BTMRR an E so by those standards why isn’t the Dwarfs Mine Train? The length? The thrill factor? Dwarfs one show scene (2 if you count the witch/ cottage) is better than any one show scene in BTMRR. I’m kind of playing devils advocate. I get that BTMRR overall a more complete/ solid experience.

I mean I have been on Seven Dwarfs and Big Thunder a couple of times. Much of it I believe has to do with length. However, Big Thunder is only a minute longer I think. So what makes it a more complete experience? Perhaps Big Thunder being more aggressive has something to do with it. People being rattled around for 3 minutes is probably enough and just about all the average person can handle. Since Seven Dwarfs is so tame, the park guests brace for the rattling. When the ride concludes, it's not the major thrill they expected, therefore it feels like a less complete experience.

D.Silentu

I'm curious what others think about the time frame for opening this ride, as it feels like three years is lengthy to build a ride that has already been developed. I realize they have to reshape the attraction to fit, but I would have thought they would try to hustle a bit. After all, I understand the underlying point of the ride in both parks is to help sop up the Star Wars crowd.

mickEblu

I'm curious what others think about the time frame for opening this ride, as it feels like three years is lengthy to build a ride that has already been developed. I realize they have to reshape the attraction to fit, but I would have thought they would try to hustle a bit. After all, I understand the underlying point of the ride in both parks is to help sop up the Star Wars crowd.

The timeframe might suggest that Toontown is getting a bigger renovation than we thought.

shortstop

I'm curious what others think about the time frame for opening this ride, as it feels like three years is lengthy to build a ride that has already been developed. I realize they have to reshape the attraction to fit, but I would have thought they would have tried to hustle a bit. After all, I understand the underlying point of the ride in both parks is to help sop up the Star Wars crowd.
Well, GMR closed in summer 2017, making a spring 2020 opening a 2.5 year timeline. While they had to clear out GMR, they didn’t have to build a new building, which it seems like they’ll have to do for DL, so based on Disney’s usual construction pace, 3 years from now seems to make sense. I don’t think there’s any need to rush the development of this attraction, as I think the last thing DL needs is a brand new E-Ticket to open in the first couple years of SWL being open.

Pam Hates Penguins

So it's taking them about 3 years to replace the GMR with MMRR with the show building already constructed. Now we're talking them demoing backstage, constructing the show building and MMRR inside in 3 years again. Now I'm no construction enthusiast and anyone correct me if I am wrong. But I am predicting this attraction to not be ready by 2022.

brb1006

I think we were all just assuming they have to close the Gag Factory to do this. But just west of the Gag Factory sits this big unused patio area in front of a wall of lifeless facades. My bet is that the Toontown City Hall complex would go away first before they give up the retail space of the Gag Factory and/or Five & Dime.
Remember when Disneyland had a special event at Mickey's ToonTown called "Mickey's ToonTown Morning Madness" between 2006-2013? I remember Disney was showing ads with Mickey and friends waving yellow banners in their hands on Disney Channel between shows. I think it was part of the 50th anniversary campaign or something.

Here's the video.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who remembers this.

D.Silentu

I don’t think there’s any need to rush the development of this attraction, as I think the last thing DL needs is a brand new E-Ticket to open in the first couple years of SWL being open.
Agreed, so I really thought the point of the new ride was to magnetize crowds away from Galaxys Edge. In recent history, three years between rides is the blink of an eye and I presume the reasoning is crowd related and as you've mentioned the timeframe for the Hollywood version is shorter.

truecoat

Your curiosity is valid. What is this ride exactly?

I haven't really been following this on the WDW forums, so I don't know much about it. It's a dark ride, on a train, starring Mickey and Minnie. Right?

But is it a cutesy D Ticket a la' Midway Mania or Little Mermaid? Or is it a full blown E Ticket a la' Pirates or Haunted Mansion or Soarin'? What is the general consensus out there on if this is an E Ticket or not?

I remember someone, might have been @WDW1974 saying that MMRR might be the better ride over both Star Wars by insiders but who knows. All I know is that it supposedly has an original catchy song ala pirates or Haunted Mansion so I'm thinking E ticket.

Disney Analyst

I’m glad this ride is coming but still think it would be better suited in DCA rebuild of Hollywood backlot into something great. Toon town should be taken overtaken by Fantasyland expansion giving it more space and options. If this ride is great as appears it would be a needed boon to DCA.

But why? This helps fill out Toontown and fits perfectly thematically. Disneyland doesn’t need that large a fantasyland... they can still use autopia and the subs as expansion and the theatre area.

D

Deleted member 107043

Interesting that so far there's been no speculation that RR Cartoon Spin might be on the chopping block to make room for Mickey. Considering Disney hasn't invested in the franchise since the last RR short in 1993 it wouldn't be surprising if Cartoon Spin got the axe - unless they have stated it isn't going anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom