The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

I want to be @93boomer today

giphy.gif
I think we all do..

Rista1313

As I've mentioned before my DD current career is at a University in their Admissions department. Part of her responsibilities are confirming to employers and grad schools that students did attend and or graduate. The University she works for did check with the University of Illinois to verify she did graduate from there before they hired her, she received an email from UoI notifying her of an inquiry. She is in Grad School (not where she works) the University, Grad School also verified she earned her bachelors at UoI.

The world is a very different place than when many of us graduated college decades ago before computers were commonly used for verification. You can be in the middle of an interview and they can receive verification in minutes. So much different than the snail mail requests of bygone eras.

I went to travel school.... I can tell people I have a certification... but that's pretty much it because the school went out of business...

Goofyernmost

Wow! Likely one of the most pointed posts I've read in a very long while. This from a father who once was proud of his daughter that went and graduated from Tulane.
Times change I guess.
I didn't put down education nor their accomplishment once in, however, both got in because they were smart enough to get academic scholarships to cover most of the tuition without the benefit of being from a family that knew people who knew people.

I put down the system that ignores potential in favor of a damn piece of paper. A piece of paper that in many cases means nothing. My daughters didn't come from money. No one bought their way in and the only reason that they got into places like Tulane was because they had the public high school grade point average and SAT's to even be considered. They were both smart enough to have figured out any job without the "College years". I know that because neither of my daughters actually ever worked in the Major that they selected. They were allowed into those occupations because they had that piece of paper. Hence, the ridiculousness of the degree requirement for even entry level positions.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
A wants to give the princesses and characters small presents when we get to Disney. Her idea. I've read up on this and I see that it's allowed as long as it's small and not valuable and in good taste.

So far she wants to give Ariel a seashell, Anna and Elsa some chocolate, and Moana some shoes because she doesn't have any.

Any ideas I can throw A's way?

Songbird76

To me College has always been some degree (tee hee) of scam. Not that things weren't taught and the variety of knowledge accumulated isn't personally gratifying and useful on a personal level, it just never seems to translate into anything we normally would use in life to help with being successful in life and work. For example, it never really taught me how to avoid run on sentences. Unless we are talking about a highly technical "how to" curriculum, what one is paying for is a simple piece of paper that gets a foot in the door that they otherwise wouldn't have.

Rich kids don't need a degree to be on the "A" list. Their wallet size guarantees that. In this country rich means power and power is a self lubricating asset. People flock to and worship wealth as something bigger than anything else. So, they buy them a degree, or a bone spur, and all of a sudden they are infallible. They really didn't even need the degree, for them it is just a talking point. My wife used to insist that one acquired intelligence through education. I argued that intelligence comes before education. One cannot become educated without intelligence. But, that sheep skin sure does make a difference. From stuff that I have read, and experienced, a huge percentage of companies never verify that a person ever even attended the college listed. If they said, I have a Masters Degree in, let's say, economics from Yale. They never look past the word Yale. But, if they have a name or a bank account, there is never a doubt that the will be smarter then anyone else in the room. My 70+ years has never found that to be true.
I agree to a certain extent....I think you can be intelligent and not have a good education. You can have gone through college and even have a doctorate and be a blithering idiot. (My high school principal was proof of that) I always tell my kids that intelligence isn't that you know more than other people. Intelligence is a willingness to learn. A lot of people are impressed by a diploma/degree, or think everyone else will be impressed. But I think a lot of times, it's just bravado. And a lot of stuff is subjective. I had various English classes in college...my freshman year, I had a TA for my English class. She said her number one rule was that we shouldn't use passive voice, and one of the things she made us do was swap papers with a classmate and put a triangle around every "is" or "was" so we could edit those out. I had 3 uses of passive voice in a 2 page paper and got a C. The person I swapped with had 10+ instances of passive voice on each page and got an A. The next paper I wrote, I didn't agonize over the passive voice and had a lot more of it and I got an A. In another English class, my teacher LOVED my writing style....I never got anything less than an A, and I don't think all my work deserved an A. It's subjective, because different people have different priorities/preferences. The document doesn't mean you are intelligent....it just says you were there and did enough to graduate. But, I think college is also a great place to learn about lots of different subjects, become more well-rounded.

Songbird76

You did a great job clarifying this. Now that I get it, that is actually a good system. I don’t like the one size fits all approach they have here, which is one reason I homeschool.
Yeah, it is a good system. I hated the one-size-fits all approach. And the thing I REALLY hated was the "cooperative learning". The theory behind it is good, but it doesn't really work the way it's designed. Are you familiar with it? The idea is that kids have to work together, using their individual strengths for the benefit of the group to get an end product that's strong. And they make the groups with kids at different academic levels, assuming that the kids who struggle more will learn better from their peers, and the peers will motivate each other to work hard, etc. In reality, the lazy kids know the straight A student wants an A, and will do all the work to make sure that happens. So they just don't do anything and the A student gets stuck doing the entire project. That's what always happened to me, anyway. And I think part of the concept is that the individuals also give feedback about how the other group members did and each person is supposed to get graded on the part they did, but we never did that part. It was always just one group grade, so if I wanted a good grade, I had to do the work myself. The tiered school system like we have here works better because everyone working on a project together is at the same level. There may be disagreements, but in general, at least no one has to do more than anyone else.

Figgy1

Premium Member
A wants to give the princesses and characters small presents when we get to Disney. Her idea. I've read up on this and I see that it's allowed as long as it's small and not valuable and in good taste.

So far she wants to give Ariel a seashell, Anna and Elsa some chocolate, and Moana some shoes because she doesn't have any.

Any ideas I can throw A's way?
Moana may want some bird seed for Heihei or a pretty seashell (easier than shoes besides shoes on a beach?), a Flower for Rapunzel or hair ties, a horse for Merida, a rose for Belle, gee this is hard:banghead: I was just happy to get pics

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom