News New Stroller Size/Wagon Rules and Enforcement - Effective May 1 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

It's insanity. There are even people claiming that autistic children can't handle the parks without them. I have 2 autistic boys who each have VERY different needs, and we didn't use a stroller past the age of 4 in the Disney parks, let alone at home (and even at 4, the stroller was empty more often than not).

EDIT: This is about a company who played upon a specific demographic's need to have the BIGGEST, NEWEST of everything on the market. They created a problem, Disney is fixing it.
Newport Aquarium use to have a no stroller policy for certain hours and days "due to high visitation". They only changed it a year or so ago. We actually went those days because it was easier to have a 3yo without one. Guess ppl better be happy Disney didn't try that route lol

Lensman

It is odd how many people state how they specifically purchased (or planned on purchasing) a Keenz for Disney. Was there no other need for this stroller in their life aside from touring a theme park? Why would they not require a Keenz at the zoo, aquarium, recreational activities, etc. Its ALL DISNEYS fault in their eyes. lol.
I agree that it's hard to understand this!

I do admit, though, that I tend to overindulge in single-taskers when they solve an otherwise vexing problem, however trivial, so I could see how people could end up in these situations.

For instance, if Disney bans battery-operated necklace fans, that's $7 down the drain for me! Lol

I also think about those DVCers who have owners lockers and keep a bunch of stuff just for their WDW stays. Obviously they have a bunch of stuff that they only use on their periodic Disney trips.

SoupBone

Too bad they don't take this "emotional support animal" thing as seriously as they do wagons that might be medically needed. Anyone else feel like they're at the Westminister dog show in the parks sometimes?

I saw a German Shepherd last week. Shepherds are my favorite breed but it was very concerning because it appeared to be a homemade "service dog" vest with a homemade ID card. It was clearly someone's pet.

StarWarsGirl

The eyeroll inducing post from the company...

Chi84

Premium Member
I saw a German Shepherd last week. Shepherds are my favorite breed but it was very concerning because it appeared to be a homemade "service dog" vest with a homemade ID card. It was clearly someone's pet.
Service dogs are not required to wear vests and their owners are not required to have ID cards - under laws that assume people will not lie about having a disability just to take their pets everywhere.

ImperfectPixie

Service dogs are not required to wear vests and their owners are not required to have ID cards - under laws that assume people will not lie about having a disability just to take their pets everywhere.
The laws desperately need amending. Everyone I know personally who deals with or has special needs would rather have to offer proof than have to deal with people abusing the law.

bigrigross

Well I hope yall are ready to see much more of these in the parks now...
Which are much bigger than the keenz...and that front wheels gonna be a joy for your ankles.
Yes it's been confirmed these are allowed. Have fun.

Umm, there is a huge difference between the Keenz and that thing. What was bad about the keenz was the loss of vision in front of you. Somewhere around 5 feet due to the canopy. That thing is designed in a right angle triangle (like many strollers) and most people will be able to see directly in front of them.

Wishes713

The laws desperately need amending. Everyone I know personally who deals with or has special needs would rather have to offer proof than have to deal with people abusing the law.
Yes because it’s a shame when you put so much time, effort and money into a true service dog just to see people take advantage of a law that protects/promotes people taking their pets to places they shouldn’t, so agreed that the laws will have to change at some point....btw can we get some sort of size and operators licensing going for the scooters? Seems that most people that use them in the parks look as though they have never used one before...makes you wonder

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes because it’s a shame when you put so much time, effort and money into a true service dog just to see people take advantage of a law that protects/promotes people taking their pets to places they shouldn’t, so agreed that the laws will have to change at some point....btw can we get some sort of size and operators licensing going for the scooters? Seems that most people that use them in the parks look as though they have never used one before...makes you wonder
It’s because they haven’t. They only use them at Dizzy Werld and Walmart.

The Mom

Premium Member

Many people are able to use a cane or walker on a day to day basis, because they aren't moving around for several hours, and covering miles of distance. But there is no way they could get around WDW without a scooter. As I mentioned, when I brought my mother I wasn't confident that she would be able to maneuver a scooter, so I pushed her in a wheelchair. She did not use a wheelchair at home.

It is an option, but many people may not be physically able to do so.

edited for clarity - I mean physically able to push someone in a wheelchair. Most people who cannot physically use a wheelchair themselves have their own mobility device.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Many people are able to use a cane or walker on a day to day basis, because they aren't moving around for several hours, and covering miles of distance. But there is no way they could get around WDW without a scooter. As I mentioned, when I brought my mother I wasn't confident that she would be able to maneuver a scooter, so I pushed her in a wheelchair. She did not use a wheelchair at home.

It is an option, but many people may not be physically able to do so.

Both of my parents have used an electric scooter at WDW. My now-deceased father was better-skilled at driving one. He had neuropathy in his feet and he couldn't stand/walk all day anymore by the time he took his last trip with us in 2007. It made more sense to rent a scooter and have them with us until 6pm or so than to have them go back to the hotel after 4 hours, be gone for 2-3 hours in the room (plus transportation time), and then come back to the park a few hours later for another 2-3 hours. I convinced my mom to rent one last October, and her "driving skills" caused a great deal of laughter from my oldest two boys, who were there with her. Not running into anyone, thankfully, but maneuvering it around was fun to hear about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom